Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony ECM-737  (Read 4103 times)

Offline attheshow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony ECM-737
« on: September 15, 2007, 07:39:44 PM »
Does anyone have specs (Freq range, Max SPL, etc) on this mic? "Tricks" for taping with it? I have one on loan and I'd like to know what to expect from it, and how it "should" compare to my ECM-719. Any info you can share is appreciated. TIA.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony ECM-737
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:15:59 PM »
I made a recording with the mic and going by the spectrum I got, I'm guessing it has a freq range of ~100Hz-~15kHz. Does this sound reasonable? Also, since it has a 90 degree > 120 degree switch, I'm guessing it is a M/S configuration internally. An I on the right track? Does anyone know more about this mic, or where I can find out more?

Thanks.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »
Not familiar with this mic, but I would guess that it has similar specs to Sony ECM-MS907. 

Here's a link for info on the ECM-MS907...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150434-REG/Sony_ECMMS907_ECM_MS907_Stereo_Mic.html

That's a small mic...  correct?  If so, I doubt that it is a M/S config.  Check out this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91105.0.html

Hope this helps!!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:55:08 AM »
Thanks. I've been following the other thread as well... looks like the 907 is m/s internally... and I think perhaps it's a newer version of the 737 that I have on loan. How much audible audio in terms of octaves am I loosing by having a freq response of 100-15k rather than 20-20k? Is it worth continuing to tape with it?

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:41:24 AM »
Thanks. I've been following the other thread as well... looks like the 907 is m/s internally... and I think perhaps it's a newer version of the 737 that I have on loan. How much audible audio in terms of octaves am I loosing by having a freq response of 100-15k rather than 20-20k? Is it worth continuing to tape with it?
Definitely try it out...  I have gotten many, many, many good recordings from a MS907.  And have used a Sony ECM-717(I think), which is a small stereo mic with a clip on the back of it.  Clipped that to my hat a number of times with fairly good results.  And that has the same specs as the MS907 also.  There are a lot of better mics out there compared to these Sony's...  but, I've been very pleased with my results from them.  They have never let me down...  consistent...  easy to use...  small(stealthy)...  if the mic is in proper working condition, and if you have a battery installed(it probably uses one internally), you'll be happy with the mic's results...  So if that's what ya got... use it!!!  If you're in the market for a mic...  there are definitely better one's out there!!! 

edit:  Is the 737 a stereo mic?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 01:44:01 AM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 06:49:13 AM »
Definitely try it out...  I have gotten many, many, many good recordings from a MS907.  And have used a Sony ECM-717(I think), which is a small stereo mic with a clip on the back of it.  Clipped that to my hat a number of times with fairly good results.  And that has the same specs as the MS907 also.  There are a lot of better mics out there compared to these Sony's...  but, I've been very pleased with my results from them.  They have never let me down...  consistent...  easy to use...  small(stealthy)...  if the mic is in proper working condition, and if you have a battery installed(it probably uses one internally), you'll be happy with the mic's results...  So if that's what ya got... use it!!!  If you're in the market for a mic...  there are definitely better one's out there!!! 

edit:  Is the 737 a stereo mic?

If it helps, I found out that the 737 is the replacement model for the 717, so they might sound alike.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 08:14:59 AM »
Actually, no. The replacement for the 717 is the 719, which I also have.

Yes, the 737 is a stereo mic. It's fairly large (think small handheld vocal mic) and uses a AA battery for bias power. You unscrew the base of the mic ans place the battery inside. It has a 90/120 degree switch just like the 907 (which I believe relaced it.

I have two recordings from the same show at the same venue (different locations) one on the 719 and one on the 737/ The 719 seems to have picked up a broader range, but the sound seems clearer (if that makes sense) from the 737. I'm not sure if the difference is in the mics, the location or the recording method (HiMD (PCM 16/44) for the 719 at the "sweet spot" about 12ft from center stage, mic > homemade batt box > MacBook Pro (32/96) for the 737 FOB. Both mics were about 7.5 ft high.

I can try to post samples if that would help.

I'm trying to sort out the best overall combination of the equipment I have so that I can get the best possible recording next time I hit this venue. If I run the laptop again it will probably have to be FOB. The MD will always be right at the sweet spot.

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
Ok sorry. I just searched on google.
No more info about it anywhere I guess  ???

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:01:51 PM »
Well, this  mic may have more range than I initially thought... I made another recording last night. I used this mic (intended as a back-up) into my HiMD and my ECM-719 into the laptop. The Freq range on the laptop recording is short, graphing it on audacity shows about 100-14k... Roughly the same result I got with the ECM 737 before. The ECM-737 shows a much fuller range ~34-20k when plugged into the MD. So, I guess I was too quick to blame it on the mic... Off to computer recording help.  :-[

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 08:11:46 AM »
I  started recording with a Sony ECM-907 (which also only extends  down to 100 Hz) and a friend still uses one. You can get recordings that sound quite good until you compare them to recordings done with mini-mics that extend down to 20 Hz like the Church Audio mics or most of the SP mics. Then you notice you're missing a ton of bass using any of the inexpensive Sony mics. I really don't notice the missing highs (15-20 KHz)- I guess my ears aren't so good, but missing the deep bass is very obvious and is a deal breaker for me. 

I wouldn't recommend taping with any of those Sony mics if you can help it.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 01:13:33 PM »
Here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92368.0.html, in my more recent thread on this mic, I have provided links to a reference recording made with AKGs and my recording using the ECM-737. The mics were 6" apart in the same venue for the same show. All the gear behind the AKGs is better than the HiMD I was running as well, but I suspect that the mics are the greatest difference in the recordings.

What I notice missing in the Sony mic is a bit of bass, and a bit of clarity, but neither is enough to make the 737 unusable. I think that most people would be happy with my recording if there weren't a better one to compare it to. Considering that this mic can likely be snagged off ebay or cl for much cheaper than the church or sound pros mics, and that it may be easier for tapers outside the US to get, I don't think it's that bad a place to start.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com