Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)  (Read 118495 times)

Offline tekdroid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 03:58:47 PM »
$199 US dollars is an excellent deal - especially for those in the USA who don't pay exorbitant postage :)

It's a shame that the case is only redeemable to USA residents - in the past B&H included it without Sony collecting your private info to redeem it.

The case is great and if Sony could actually take a real picture of it (and a real pic of the insides of it, too), they would get more people interested in it, I reckon. Their website pics are not really indicative; they seem to have a strange set of pics on their website that has always looked quite different to the real thing.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-corporate/mkt-corporateboardroom/product-LCPCMM10G/

Anyway, great deal.
I doubt Sony will release a new recorder model this year but you never know. If they do, we could probably expect an announcement soonish, 'cause the PCM-M10 started selling last October with an announcement at least a couple months in advance of retail availability. But I doubt it.

Both Sony PCM-D50 and PCM-D1 have been selling for well over 12 months with no direct replacements (only additions to their Pro recorder range), so I don't think there is a business need to replace the PCM-M10 so soon, especially given how much of a seller it is for them.

adrianf74

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »
As far as internal mics on a recorder go, I'd get a cheap battery box and buy an external mic.

A cheap external omni mic will yield better results almost always since the mics can be run "higher up" than burried in your shirt pocket.

Somebody here wants to go halves on some Sound Pros mics.

That'll be a good idea, or you could look at Chris Church's "Freakin' Small" (CAFS) omni mics or the CA-1 ($80 preorder in Retail Space) and pick up a battery box from him or the yard.

Best of luck.

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »
All right. Just ordered one. Thanks for the tips.:)
This will be my backup to my Church-modified R-09, which means you'll probably be
seeing my Korg MR-1, Sony Hi-MD and maybe old Neuros DAC in a Yard Sale near you.
I just don't run Windoze often enough to make the hassle of converting the Korg and Hi-MD
recordings via Windoze for transfer to my main linux work area very convenient....

Wanted to order red, but figured black might be better when going low-pro.

scot

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »
To answer my own question- the M10 seems to mount both the on-board memory and the 16gb SDHC cards just fine in Linux (Ubuntu 10.04, in any case...)

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 06:38:57 PM »
$199 US dollars is an excellent deal - especially for those in the USA who don't pay exorbitant postage :)

Waddya mean?? I payed FOUR DOLLARS for three-day postage, on top of $199!!  :'(

(just kiddin'! Yes, we are very lucky here in the US, especially when it comes to price of gear.)

Dave

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2010, 03:11:19 AM »

Wanted to order red, but figured black might be better when going low-pro.

The red is more like a purple-tinged  burgundy. And who knows, it might be just as good for low-pro because it just looks like  a fatter iPhone or a point-and-shoot digicam--not a serious recorder. I mean,  who could take seriously this little wine-colored rectangle as a 24-bit bootleg monster?

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2010, 05:09:11 AM »
Yup, I figured the red (which should be here tomorrow!) would look more like a candy colored cell or point and shoot.
Anyway, you know that red flash recorders are freakin chick magnets!

BTW, I'm sure it's here someplace, but what are those speed ratings on the SD cards. I'm all for spending a little more for quicker transfers but I don't want to spend a lot for something that's only useful with video.

Offline Johnny Thunder

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »

Offline tyler1234

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
just got my recorder but it does not seem to record from line in. is there something i am doing wrong.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
just got my recorder but it does not seem to record from line in. is there something i am doing wrong.

there you go. A much better place to post. ;) :)

So you have external mics and a pre-amp that you're routing into the line-in? generally that's what's required for the line-in. what occurs when you plug your mics into mic-in?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tyler1234

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
yes church preamp and ca 14 mics. it lets me record but no meters or sound coming out

Offline tyler1234

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2010, 04:24:31 PM »
it works fine in the mic jack but not the line in jack

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2010, 04:38:45 PM »

turn your gain up on the the 9100 to the max and see if you get an readings on the m10.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2010, 04:51:01 PM »

turn your gain up on the the 9100 to the max and see if you get an readings on the m10.

Alternatively, unscrew your capsule on the mics and ensure that the metal tabs at the base of the mic  are wide enough to make good contact with the prods on the capsules (hope my broken english gets uderstood)
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline tyler1234

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2010, 05:00:56 PM »
it was the battery, would u reccomend  mic senitivity to be high orlow for rock shows and dpc speed control should be off or on. thanks ras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com