Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How common are digital cameras with a no limit record time?  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Ringside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a digital camera, I've never used one for video recording before and wondered what options I have for a camera that won't automatically stop recording.

Is this based on brand?

Thanks.

Offline AdamHuston

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: How common are digital cameras with a no limit record time?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:59:03 PM »
I have wondered the same thing, hopefully someone will chime in that knows
Mics: Schoeps MK4's, Telefunken TF11's, Busman BSC2's, DPA 4061's
Preamps: Audioroot Femto, DPA MMA-A
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre 6-II, Tascam DR2d, Sound Devices MixPre 6-I

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »
In Europe there is a ruling that means any model that can record interrupted above a certain limit is classified as a 'video camera' and therefore subject to higher duties. Firmware cracks can get around some of these limitations depending on manufacturer.

I think another issue is that some SLR sensors can overheat when run for extended video runs (I seem to remember reading about this in regard to some Sony models).

In terms of personal experience, my two Panasonic ZS3s will run until the batteries/storage run out. My two Panasonic GF2s also do this although this required hacking their firmware - easily done and lots of online support for this.

My Canon bridge camera cannot defeat its time limitation even with hacked firmware but I believe other (higher-spec'd) models can be hacked successfully for this.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:26:32 PM »
It's not brand specific.  As mentioned, some cameras are firmwire crippled to avoid classification as a video camera for tax purposes in Europe. 

The panasonic G6 isn't crippled.  With the introduction of the Panasonic GH4, there might be some closeout deals on the GH3 coming.  edit:  not sure if GH3 has the time limit or not. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:10:12 AM by 2manyrocks »

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »
Only one Panasonic Lumix camera I know of has a recording time limit, the LX7. Of course this omits EU models that are limited for tax purposes.

I also am not aware of any overheating or other issues that limit shot length on any Lumix cam. These issues appear to be a specialty of Canon and Sony by my research. Even the tiny little GM1 will drain the battery before stopping, although they limit the max frame rate in that camera to 30p/60i instead of the 60p available in the G6, GX7, and GH3.

Yes, I'm a Lumix G series fanboi.

Fran

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com