Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: best video tripod under $100?  (Read 10418 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: TSKB: best video tripod under $100?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »
Well the above tripod came in.  Really nice and solid.  Love the dual panning arms.  But it was all busted up.   :o  Knobs were broke off, etc.  So I returned it.  Not sure whether to reorder it go in another direction.  I'm a bit sketched on the build quality.   :-\   Have been reading good things about the Velbon DV7000 for it's great panning.  And it's under half the price!  Decisions decisions......

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 01:06:15 AM »
Well the above tripod came in.  Really nice and solid.  Love the dual panning arms.  But it was all busted up.   :o  Knobs were broke off, etc.  So I returned it.  Not sure whether to reorder it go in another direction.  I'm a bit sketched on the build quality.   :-\   Have been reading good things about the Velbon DV7000 for it's great panning.  And it's under half the price!  Decisions decisions......

Did you order from b&h? I've never had any issues with their packing before. sorry to hear about that. maybe, like you suggested, its foreshadowing to the poor quality.

Just remember, you paid good cash money for your camera so you don't want to necessarily try to skimp out of something as important as stabilization.
People on this board pay $200+ on CABLES; that may not include you but if you take audio taping seriously, you already have one obsession so you might as well pick up another one.  ;D  8)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 01:39:34 AM »
Ya I got it from BandH.  They were great about it though.  Payed for the return shipping.  The guys on HV20.com are telling me to give the Davis another try.  I just got a lemon.  So I  guess I will.  It really is a sick tripod.  I'll post up some pics when I get the replacement.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:28:14 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
I have a heady duty mic stand I use for open situations that way I can get above the heads and such. Works great.
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »
ack, all of these suggestions have a maximum height of 72" or less. that's fine if you have a table to use or if you're short, but i'm 6'5" (77") and i'd like something that can come up, at a minimum, to my eye level, and preferably a few inches higher than that even when i need to get above heads. i understand the camera itself will add an inch or so to the height, but still, 72" is insufficient and even 75" is probably a few inches too short. i like the look of this one, as well as the reviews, and the implication that it was budget-priced when it was available, but it's no longer available:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-TR201P-77-Inch-Full-Tripod/dp/B001F8S576

also, i'm definitely looking to stay under $100, and preferably even under $75 if possible. i'm open either to an all-in-one unit or buying the legs and head separately, so long as the price is reasonable. anyone know of any decent 77" or 78" solutions that perhaps i'm not finding in my own searches?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
If you're 77", you ARE a walking tripod. Good luck getting something decent for getting that tall less than $75.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »
If you're 77", you ARE a walking tripod. Good luck getting something decent for getting that tall less than $75.
thanks, that was helpful. just how am i supposed to stabilize a camera perfectly for 2 hours with my arms?

i don't think it's all that unreasonable. here is what appears to be a perfectly decent 72-inch unit for $30:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-TR101A-72-Inch-Full-Tripod/dp/B001EYBA9G/

i just need an extra 5 or 6 inches.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
Not as easy being tall as shorter folks think. Sure you can change a light bulb without using a ladder but after years of being forced to lean over because most things are made for folks 5-6 to 5-8, one's back really starts to give one trouble.

Searching 77 inch tripod found a few results, most over your price range but this one caught my eye
http://www.digitalsalephoto.com/77prhedutrfo.html
Now to do some research on the company since I had never heard of them before.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
thanks for the link. yeah, that's the same Zeikos one i've been looking at. that web store doesn't look totally legit to me though. i found the 77-inch Zeikos one on eBay, and will probably go ahead with buying it there soon unless anyone suggests something better. just thought i'd see if anyone knew of any other units i'm not seeing, before buying.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com