Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&K/Dpa 4021  (Read 6233 times)

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
B&K/Dpa 4021
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
I want a 2nd set of mics for festivals. Love my ho's but considering other possibilities under 2k. Maybe Neuman, schoeps, b&k/dpa.
I've seen a few posts about problems with 402x cable connections from stress. Is this a common problem or just occasionally occurs. Seen a few posts about scratches & dents in the grills is this from stealth taping ? B&K are close to 20 years old - little paranoid about buying buying mics that old but they look minty. What's a fair price? Too risky at that age?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:18:38 AM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Dpa 4021 vs dpa 4018es
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 11:57:40 PM »
Looks like the 4018es is the replacement for the 4021. Any preference or difference? Also I've seen a few posts about problems with 4021 cable connections. Wondering if this is a common problem or just a minor issue that occasionally occurs. Also seen a few posts about dents in the grills is this from stealth taping and imprper storing or other?

i've owned 4021's.  loved them.  only sold them to get the 4023's.

that said, i don't have any experience with the new modular variety other than seeing them in action and talking with that taper.  they look SWEET! 

with the new ones, you get the option of buying caps (cheaper than the 40xx series), similar to the schoeps.  i believe they are a bit larger on a stand than the 40xx series.  i haven't studied charts but i think they are about the same as the 402xx series in sound. 

4021 cable problems?  None to speak of.  maybe if you try to stealth them a lot, they might get frayed or something, idk.  i'm not a stealther.  obviously, the rear cabling of the 4022 and 4023 would be better for stealthing. 

if you're an open taping guy, absolutely nothing wrong with the 4021's.  if you stealth, you might have to get creative and be careful with the side cabling, ie make sure the side cabling comes out down to the floor from your hat.

if you can afford it, go for the new models.  either way, buy the DPA's.  then change your screen name!  ;)

just my two pennies.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:06:41 AM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Re: B&K/Dpa 4021
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »
I had nothing but trouble with my 4022s. To be clear I'd still say tha in the perfect spot that 40xx can't be beat. But I got so tired of shorts in the actives, like 5 in 15 years. Id already decided to move on to Schoeps because I know they are just more forgiving but primarily due to the unreliability of the 4022. As a final gift to me on top of  last short, I had to replace a capsule for 1200 before selling them. been told that dpa got tired of denying the problem and just rolled out the new ones with a more sturdy cable.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »
I had nothing but trouble with my 4022s. To be clear I'd still say tha in the perfect spot that 40xx can't be beat. But I got so tired of shorts in the actives, like 5 in 15 years. Id already decided to move on to Schoeps because I know they are just more forgiving but primarily due to the unreliability of the 4022. As a final gift to me on top of  last short, I had to replace a capsule for 1200 before selling them. been told that dpa got tired of denying the problem and just rolled out the new ones with a more sturdy cable.
That's what I had read. Thanks for confirming. I'm not going to drop $1700 for future cable problems. Probably going with  another set of matched mbhos but wide/sub cards this time. Started talking to Nick in May on a babynbox to stealth my caps with but he hasn't had the time to design/make one yet for mbho hoping sometime soon.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:13:27 PM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 02:58:57 PM »
That's what I had read from others as well. Thanks gor the confirmation. Not going to drop $1700 for cable problems. Probably going with 2 another set of matched mbhos but wide/sub cards this time. Been talking to Nick since May on a babynbox to stealth my caps wiyh but he hasn't had the time to design/make one yet for mbho.

why not pick up some 4028's.  removable lemo cables.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »

Trying to stay under 2k.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »

Trying to stay under 2k.

fair enough.  i can't remember what i paid for mine but i want to say it was only about $300 more.  well worth the price.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »
The MK4s Larry Sellers has on YS, NBox Platinum from Nick and actives under $2k.  I have no skin in it but just providing an option.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 05:53:06 PM »

Trying to stay under 2k.

fair enough.  i can't remember what i paid for mine but i want to say it was only about $300 more.  well worth the price.
Where did you buy them from? My online searches show them around $1700 each. Discontinued so very few retailers have them in stock. Were they a used pair?

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
This, the dark side is calling! >:D

The MK4s Larry Sellers has on YS, NBox Platinum from Nick and actives under $2k.  I have no skin in it but just providing an option.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 07:43:23 PM »

Trying to stay under 2k.

Where did you buy them from? My online searches show them around $1700 each. Discontinued so very few retailers have them in stock. Were they a used pair?

i bought them used here in the YS.  back in 2012-ish.  i should probably keep a spreadsheet of my gear with serial numbers and how i obtained it. 

anyone able to slap together a gear Excel spreadsheet?!  :)
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »
If you're buying DPA these days, I think you would be nuts not to go with the newer modular system (barring a good deal on something used).  Multiple caps available, full-size and compact bodies (with lots of flexibility in cables), and P48 and 5V actives.  The 5V actives let you go into a d:vice and iPhone.  Very versatile.  Not cheap, though.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »
I've had dpas for over 15 years now. I have owned 4022s, 4026s, 4023s and 4028s. I haven't had any issues with cables, and the only issue I did have with a capsule was probably caused by water.

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
I got lucky and found a pair of 4021s on ebay for $1200, well used but the cables are still ok after three years. I'm pretty sure you can get them factory serviced when they wear out. The old design has zero strain relief on a tiny cable so yeah that's not going to last forever. Keep them mounted and the wires tied off and there won't be so much strain. That being said, they aren't a huge improvement over MBHO, I still use those almost as much.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »
I got lucky and found a pair of 4021s on ebay for $1200, well used but the cables are still ok after three years. I'm pretty sure you can get them factory serviced when they wear out. The old design has zero strain relief on a tiny cable so yeah that's not going to last forever. Keep them mounted and the wires tied off and there won't be so much strain. That being said, they aren't a huge improvement over MBHO, I still use those almost as much.
So not a big improvement - I do luv the sound of my ho's even in a crappy room or not near dfc. I heard dpa has to be in the sweet spot to sound well. Might get a matched pair of mbho 603a. wide/sub cards that have an increased low end and bass response.. Plus new actives to run into Jon's ipa > pcm10 for stealth. So 2nd full rig plus a stealth rig in my budget range. Thanks that info was very helpful.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com