Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony D8 Questions  (Read 2174 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Sony D8 Questions
« on: November 15, 2003, 08:06:50 PM »
Its that magical time of year again and I need some help.  I am overhauling my rig and buying and new one.  The new rig will consists of the following Akg 391>Samson Mixpad 4>Sony D8.  I then want to take that to my computer.  My sound card has Digital ins.  What type of cable do I need to run this rig?  What are the power issues?  Am I missing something in between the Akgs and the D8 that I cant live without?  Thanks for the help Mark
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:Sony D8 Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 08:12:51 PM »
+t for the choice of 391's...  that would work, but you have to make sure you computer's audio card has digital coax in's, then you just connect your coax out from your 7pin, i beleive.. someone with a d8 could tell you for sure, but it doens't seem hard.  and the samson mixpad gives phantom power, so it would work, you could skip it and get a pre, will cost a bit more. but, spend it if you can...  but you won't have an A/D and will just run analog in i take.. but you need a 7 pin cable to digitally transfer..  good luck.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 12:25:28 PM »
I run the same rig but with c1000s instead of 391s.  you need to get a 7pin>optical cable or 7pin>coax.  That will allow you to transfer the signal digitally to your computer.  What i do is this.

Sony D-8>7pin (optical)>UA-3 (opical in)>USB>Soundforge 6.0

It works great for me.  Im not sure if the UA-3 is bit perfect, but my ears like the transfers so i dont have any problems.  Some people say its bit perfect and some say its not.  I bought my UA-3 from Caymenreview for about $75.  Its nice because it is plug and play.  

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 10:05:28 AM »
Im not sure if the UA-3 is bit perfect, but my ears like the transfers so i dont have any problems.  Some people say its bit perfect and some say its not.

Here's the post to DAT-Heads where a string of emails from an Edirol rep confirms that NONE of their products are bit-perfect, at least in conjunction with the Microsoft USB driver:

http://www.solorb.com/dat-heads/digests/V6.100/D143#Msg10
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 10:07:13 AM by greenone »
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com