Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: README1st! Matrix Guide  (Read 2505 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
README1st! Matrix Guide
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:23:54 AM »
Holy cow - thought I'd check this out...yikes!

Its a great job for sure. But - does anyone else think its a bit over the top? Way too broad IMO. Something simpler and more concise would better suit.

It's just too much to read to get to the nuts and bolts of matrixing. Too much time on mics, recorders...advise on tipping.

A little advise on mixers might be ok. Some suggested approaches to common scenarios would be good too.

Seems like this gets into more complicated stuff like EQ, delay and post production stuff before it covers the basics.

Also - I guess there should be separate guides for 4 track devices and on-the-fly approaches?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: README1st! Matrix Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »
Feel free to edit and provide a version with content you feel is more appropriate.  When can we expect a first draft?  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

runonce

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
Feel free to edit and provide a version with content you feel is more appropriate.  When can we expect a first draft?  :P

We'll see...like all things. Easier said than done.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »
I think that is great info for 2004, but times have changed, and computers are a big part of it.  4 channel recorders like the R4 and R44 are reasonably priced, so a lot of people (including myself) run 2 SBD + 2 AUD and mix at home on the computer.

I think the ability to "mix to taste" at home is a huge benefit.  Not only can I cut out the SBD/AUD delay, but I can decide how much SBD and AUD I want in the mix... Frequently it's 50/50, but sometimes it's 80/20 SBD, and other times it's 80/20 AUD.

Nowadays the question people generally ask is "I recorded 2 mic tracks and grabbed the SBD tracks from my buddy.  How do I align them properly?"
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

runonce

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »
I think that is great info for 2004, but times have changed, and computers are a big part of it.  4 channel recorders like the R4 and R44 are reasonably priced, so a lot of people (including myself) run 2 SBD + 2 AUD and mix at home on the computer.

I think the ability to "mix to taste" at home is a huge benefit.  Not only can I cut out the SBD/AUD delay, but I can decide how much SBD and AUD I want in the mix... Frequently it's 50/50, but sometimes it's 80/20 SBD, and other times it's 80/20 AUD.

Nowadays the question people generally ask is "I recorded 2 mic tracks and grabbed the SBD tracks from my buddy.  How do I align them properly?"

I think all of that is true. Yet, post mixing is also takes a LOT of time. Im still using some older hardware as well...just bit short on the computation power. It would work, just slowly. So - I have reverted to the on the fly process. Previously I had used two JB3s and 2 ADs clocked together. Too many recordings not getting finished as I pined over mixes, level shifts and other odd stuff. Obviously some limitations with 16 bits, but still extra time regardless.

Much cheaper for 2 trackers to experiment with 4 channels with just their current recorder a 100 dollar mixer. A lot of bar/small show situations can make really nice sounding recordings, when neither the room or the board would sound particularly good.

I did actually write up a bit on my on-the-fly approach...but it needs another blast of work before I can post it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com