Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with BDS?  (Read 4525 times)

Offline KiddCabbage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Anyone have experience with BDS?
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
Howdy,

I'm brand new here (first post). I could be in an entirely wrong forum - all my taping is done for SFX work, no concert recording or the like, but oh well.

For my job, I recently bought a used Fostex FR-2 recorder, which I'm really excited about. The power connected had already been modified for a BDS power supply when I bought it. I've never had any sort of power distribution or anything; I haven't needed it with just a DAT recorder, boom, and microphone. Does anyone else have any experience with or knowledge of BDS? The way I read about it, it sounds like it set a standard for in the bag recording. I'm still debating whether that's worth dropping another few hundred dollars on though.

Anyway, pleasure to be here. Let me know if I'm in the wrong place. :)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Anyone have experience with BDS?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
Kid I'm unfamiliar with this battery system....I see one with two batteries on eBay for $900

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDX-Endura-Elite-BDS-full-battery-package-audio-power-/231198306403?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item35d47e3063

:o

Maybe some of the pro guys have experience with it...you may want to try the Gear Sluts message board too.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »

For my job, I recently bought a used Fostex FR-2 recorder, which I'm really excited about. The power connected had already been modified for a BDS power supply when I bought it. I've never had any sort of power distribution or anything;

Can you explain a little more how this was modified; the input jack or the battery compartment? If the input jack, then you should be able to use some sort of adapter cable and a cheaper external battery/power source. If the battery compartment, is the input jack still operable?

I'm not familiar with BDS powering options but am familiar with the FR2 as one has been my primary recorder for several years.

Howdy,

I'm brand new here (first post).
Anyway, pleasure to be here. Let me know if I'm in the wrong place. :)

Welcome to ts. If we can't help hopefully we can at least point you in the right direction.

Offline KiddCabbage

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
Well, here's the BDS that I found and am looking into:

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Remote-Audio-BDSv4-and-v4u-Battery-Distribution-System-REM-BDSv4.html

It appears that it's the power connector that's been modified... I'm not sure what that entirely entails as I won't have access to the unit until Friday.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »
Hmmm....appears you also need a Battery to pull from in order to distribute power?

Low Battery Indicator The illuminated toggle switch is a bi-color type that indicates when your power source (typically a battery) falls below a certain voltage level. This threshold voltage is selectable via a switch on the face of the BDSv4u and BDSv4.

Three voltages are available for use with the most common battery chemistries:

13V - for Lithium-Ion
    11.5V - for Nickel-Metal Hydride*
    11V - for Lead Acid ("Gel Cells")
    (* - Default Factory Setting)

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline KiddCabbage

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:42:02 AM »
Oh man, you're right! So you run an external battery through the BDS and it just distributes the power to everything plugged into it... Well that's embarrassing.

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 05:12:52 AM »
BDS made in TS? Look here :
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=143235.msg1846203#msg1846203
ORANGEBOX - Power Distribution and DC Conversion Boxes (Cost depends on design)
 - Leverage High Efficiency DC-DC Converters (over 90%)
 - You pick connectors - standard is 4pin XLR - but can use Hirose, barrel style, etc

- Base Unit with the following (1 input, 2 outputs, 2 Voltages):
      - 1 XLR 4 input
      - 2 XLR 4 outputs (no covers)

- Cost $104 + shipping (no cables included)

- Add On's:
      - Additional XLR 4 Input $8 (for hot swapping battery)
      - Additional XLR 4 Output $10 each (box can have a total of 5 XLR's on the box)
      - Additional Voltage out $20 (max of 4 different voltages)
I should send a PM...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:15 AM »
So you run an external battery through the BDS and it just distributes the power to everything plugged into it...

I recently bought a used Fostex FR-2.  The power connected had already been modified for a BDS power supply when I bought it. I've never had any sort of power distribution or anything; I haven't needed it with just a DAT recorder, boom, and microphone.

If I understand correctly, the only thing that will change is your recorder. If that's the case all you'll need is a cable with the correct plug for whatever the input jack on the FR2 has been changed to, the correct plug for the battery and a battery that will supply 12v. Shouldn't be all that difficult to come up with those.

A few years ago there was a thread about powering the FR2 w/ an external battery. A few workable options mentioned in it: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133955.0 If you already have and use a battery that supplies 12v the only thing you'll probably need is a cable with the correct ends and you may already have that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:41:19 AM by flipp »

Offline KiddCabbage

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:20:59 PM »
So here's the power connector and cable that I've got post-mod:

It looks like the standard power connector is all jacked up after this mod (it looks like the prong is split in two). Anyone know how to get a battery through this thing?

Edit: forgot to say - that connector in the middle right before the plug into the FR-2 is a 4-pin XLR.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
If you have a multi meter (and if you don't, why not?) check the pins on the AC adapter's XLR. Likely the same as 4-pin XLRs that were wired for use with EcoCharge or other SLA batteries but CHECK TO BE SURE. At that point if you are DIY inclined fabricate your own cable from whatever battery you choose to whatever gender XLR you need to mate with the existing cable segment that goes to the FR2.

If you don't have a multi-meter, aren't good with DIY stuff or just don't want to mess with it, check the Taperssection.com Community Cablers thread for someone here who can fabricate a cable for you. Darktrain and tgakidis are two of the more prolific builders of high-quality cables here. Either will do a great job and I guarantee it will be cheaper than the BDS system.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
Your post-mod power connector looks like a 4-pin Hirose type.  Sound Devices uses that type of power connector on their MixPre (2nd edition) and MixPre-D portable preamps as it locks pretty firmly into the device with little chance it will disconnect and lose power.  As flipp pointed out, as long as you have the pins matched up on the cable, you should be able to use just about any power supply that can supply the proper voltage.  To echo again what flipp said, there are several custom cable makers on this board who could easily build something for you.  Ted (tgakidis) built me a Hirose cable a few years ago so I could run a MixPre off a 9v DVD battery and it works flawlessly.  No need to use an expensive BDS system.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com