Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cleaning a recorder that's been spilled on  (Read 2002 times)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Cleaning a recorder that's been spilled on
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Well, beer doesn't help an M10 very much. I seem to have made a mistake using an electronics cleaner on the buttons. The buttons work while they are still wet with the cleaner, but then when they dry out they stop working again. I did a second clean with distilled water and dried out  completely, still no luck. I can get it to work after awhile and have recorded several sets only after 10-20 minutes of button pushing. Any ideas? I also tried using the M10 remote, but that doesn't seem to work either. My audio gear friend said never use electronic cleaner on buttons and sliders as this can remove any conductive lubricants in the devices. Replacement of the buttons is not really an option as they are so tiny. Any suggestions?
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: Cleaning a recorder that's been spilled on
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:59 PM »
If you're sure you got all the beer and cleaner solvent out, and it's just water. Remove the batteries, open all the doors + remove the backplate, shake all the liquid out that you can, and put it in a bag or box of uncooked dry white rice. Leave it for a few days in a cool dark and dry place. Magic.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »
Thanks. Probably just patience at this point. There are alot of tiny thru holes in the circuit board that will probably hold water for quite a bit.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »
Well, all clean, drying for 4 days, and even less response from the buttons than when I started.
So, I guess contact cleaner is not the way to go with the M10. I am able to hit record using the remote so it isn't a total loss. Unable to access the menus, display, folder buttons.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:57:30 PM by eman »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com