Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what level should i set my m10 with Cafs?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
what level should i set my m10 with Cafs?
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:02:09 AM »
The gear I will be using is Church Audio CAFS mics with church audio ugly battery box and sony pcm-m10. I have never used this recorder in a live setting before. I am going to be recording heavy metal / hard rock shows from the nose bleeds.

From what I have read here, I should plug in the line input and then set my levels knob to 3 and turn on the limiter so it doesn't peak above -6 db?

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: what level should i set my m10 with Cafs?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:37:10 AM »
From what I have read here, I should plug in the line input and then set my levels knob to 3 and turn on the limiter so it doesn't peak above -6 db?

I don't own the CAFS or the m10, but I can tell you a few things :

1. Don't use the limiter. Don't use the High-Pass Filter or automatic gain options (if any).
2. The -6db peak is a good advice. If you record in 24/48, you could even go lower than this and add more gain in post without adding unwanted noise. Better be safe than sorry.
3. Check the levels during the opening act, but keep in mind the main act often plays louder.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 04:39:36 AM »
I own the CAFS and the Sony M10 (they pair up very nicely). I'd have to say that there really isn't one "go to" setting - for me it always varies depending on the type of music and the house mix, etc. Lots of variables. I don't pay a lot of attention to the number on the dial, but rather I always adjust the levels so that they peak pretty consistently around -12 to -10, spiking at -6 but not much louder than that (the green led should be flashing on and off fairly often). So what the meter reading is and whether my green light is coming on (and off) is my main guide. If I had to err on one side, it would be the low side. I've recorded shows where I was certain the recording wouldn't be loud enough - but later in post I'm able to raise the levels significantly and the results are usually great. The M10's preamp is surprisingly good, in my opinion, for it's price point. So especially if you're recording at 24bit, you can get away with a lot of level boost in post.
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline pdastoor

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 02:52:12 AM »
I own the CAFS and the Sony M10 (they pair up very nicely). I'd have to say that there really isn't one "go to" setting - for me it always varies depending on the type of music and the house mix, etc. Lots of variables. I don't pay a lot of attention to the number on the dial, but rather I always adjust the levels so that they peak pretty consistently around -12 to -10, spiking at -6 but not much louder than that (the green led should be flashing on and off fairly often). So what the meter reading is and whether my green light is coming on (and off) is my main guide. If I had to err on one side, it would be the low side. I've recorded shows where I was certain the recording wouldn't be loud enough - but later in post I'm able to raise the levels significantly and the results are usually great. The M10's preamp is surprisingly good, in my opinion, for it's price point. So especially if you're recording at 24bit, you can get away with a lot of level boost in post.

I did a few tests, I plugged the cafs in the CA ugly and put in line up and raised the levels to 10 on the pcm-m10 knob and the recording turned out to be around -50 db! That was way too quiet. I am not using a separate pre-amp, would it be better for me to just use the mic in?

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 05:17:07 AM »

I did a few tests, I plugged the cafs in the CA ugly and put in line up and raised the levels to 10 on the pcm-m10 knob and the recording turned out to be around -50 db! That was way too quiet. I am not using a separate pre-amp, would it be better for me to just use the mic in?

Definitely use mic in in that case. As long as your levels are set correctly you should get great results. If it's a very quiet source you would probably be ok without the UBB, but for louder sources, the conventional wisdom here is that the extra juice from the battery box will allow the mics to handle the higher SPL's.
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »
Definitely use mic in in that case. As long as your levels are set correctly you should get great results. If it's a very quiet source you would probably be ok without the UBB, but for louder sources, the conventional wisdom here is that the extra juice from the battery box will allow the mics to handle the higher SPL's.

I'll second that. I don't have CAFS either, but I've gotten great results with a UBB and the mic in on the M10 so long as it's not clipping, which doesn't sound like a concern for you.

Offline pdastoor

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:43:35 PM »
thank you!

Offline ace5gt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
I have the same setup but with a 9200 preamp in the middle.  On the pre I set it to +15 and I set the level on the M10 at 4 or 4.5.  Then boost if needed in Post.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
The gear I will be using is Church Audio CAFS mics with church audio ugly battery box and sony pcm-m10. I have never used this recorder in a live setting before. I am going to be recording heavy metal / hard rock shows from the nose bleeds.

I always use the limiter on my M10 just in case.  It only engages if you go above 0dB and does not affect the rest of the recording at all...only those high spikes that may crackle otherwise..  I generally run my levels to be peaking -6dB to -3dB.  The better levels you can get in the initial recording the better it sounds to me.  Any amplification that you add in post will add to the noise floor so if you can get it right at the show more power to ya.

Just my .02 of course.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 02:35:51 AM »
I agree.  There is no reason not to use the limiter. It doesn't kick in unless the recording would be  $#$%ed otherwise.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com