Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 129704 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.

Odd, PSS who originally has it on their website at $550, now has it at $600.  If the $550 was a mistake and they're going to be charging the MAP of $649, why change the website to $600?  I'm still kicking around the idea of getting one, but if anyone is serious about it, I guess they should call.  Maybe they'd honor a $600 price.

$550 seemed to be the going street rate for the earlier USBPre 1.5, so that might be why they originally had up that price for the new USBPre 2.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »
Perhaps the USBPre 2 is so new that the street price has not been established.

I find it interesting that PSS is not listed as a reseller on the Sound Devices site.  PSS other prices for SD gear seem to be in line with every other dealer out there.  SD seems to keep a tight rein on their street prices.  When I bought my 702 a couple of years ago, I bought it from a dealer that was offering a 11% site wide discount.  I did not think they'd discount SD gear, but they accepted my order with the discount.  I thought for sure they'd call to tell me they could not give me the discount.  Well, they shipped the box (actually it was dropped shipped from the factory) at the discounted price.  The next week I check the reseller's web site and they were no longer selling SD gear.  I don't know if there is a connection, but I just sayin'.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 04:28:32 AM »
UPDATE on PSS pricing. They will NOT honor the $549 price or the $600 price that was mentioned.  The price would be $650 just kie anyone else.   Isider info says they recieved a cease and desist order from SD today.  The order I placed for $550 is being refunded.  Screw them, I'll do business with Adam at Full Compass, a straight shooter.  I went round and round on the phone with owner there and he got mad at me for trying to buy it at the originally advertised price, then tried to refund my money back via paypal the way I paid.  He got pissed when I point out that that type of refund would cost me 3% so now I have the check is in the mail crap to deal with.  The guy accused me of trying to take advantage of him because he put up a price that was wrong, like that was my fault.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »
UPDATE on PSS pricing. They will NOT honor the $549 price or the $600 price that was mentioned.  The price would be $650 just kie anyone else.   Isider info says they recieved a cease and desist order from SD today.  The order I placed for $550 is being refunded.  Screw them, I'll do business with Adam at Full Compass, a straight shooter.  I went round and round on the phone with owner there and he got mad at me for trying to buy it at the originally advertised price, then tried to refund my money back via paypal the way I paid.  He got pissed when I point out that that type of refund would cost me 3% so now I have the check is in the mail crap to deal with.  The guy accused me of trying to take advantage of him because he put up a price that was wrong, like that was my fault.

And yet they still have it listed for $599. That guy sounds like a nut-job. Cease and sesist!

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 01:08:13 PM »

"The A/D converter in the USBPre 2 is the exact same part we use in the 7-Series recorders. The converter is really a stage after the preamplifier. The preamplifier itself is very similar to the 7-Series, but with modifications to accommodate for different powering requirements."

I am guessing from everything I have read that the preamps are the same as the ones used in the 702/722/744T.

It's too bad they are not using the ones in the 788T, as those sound much better to my ears.

Essentially, the USBPre 2 will allow someone to put together a less expensive version of a 702 for just over a $1000 including powering and a small bit bucket. It should sound exactly the same as a 702.

I think Sound Devices missed an opportunity not using the 788T preamps, but you can't have it all.

Great looking piece of gear.

Can't wait to see one in the field.........

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:08 PM »

"The A/D converter in the USBPre 2 is the exact same part we use in the 7-Series recorders. The converter is really a stage after the preamplifier. The preamplifier itself is very similar to the 7-Series, but with modifications to accommodate for different powering requirements."

I am guessing from everything I have read that the preamps are the same as the ones used in the 702/722/744T.

It's too bad they are not using the ones in the 788T, as those sound much better to my ears.

Essentially, the USBPre 2 will allow someone to put together a less expensive version of a 702 for just over a $1000 including powering and a small bit bucket. It should sound exactly the same as a 702.

I think Sound Devices missed an opportunity not using the 788T preamps, but you can't have it all.

Great looking piece of gear.

Can't wait to see one in the field.........

Gotta agree here....702/722/744 owners would have purchased it to upgrade their peamps.....it would have been a win win.....  This will serve however to drop the value of the 702/722/744's.  why buy one when for 1k you could have this and a bit bucket.... oh well still love my 702 for its form factor...... and ease of use.....

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »
They actually didn't say the preamp will be worse than the 7 series recorder..just different. Maybe it will be better for some applications..but the AD is the same. If folks like the V3 preamp and was planning to purchase/run it with the 7 series recorder..it will be a cheaper option to purchase/run it with the USBPre2/MTII. I plan to do a comp with V3/722 vs USBPre2 one day.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
Love the V2 right now, but can't wait to test a USBPre 2 > (Warm) 661. Don't really care about it too much for play back. However, I know how easy a USBPre is to use and it's built like a tank and has good depth.............hmmmmmmmmmm
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »
Is there any more word about when the big dealers will start selling this and the actual release date?
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
*dumb question alert*

if you have a recorder and a microphone that can do mid/side, do you also need a pre-amp to process mid/side prior to going to the recorder?

thanks.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »
*dumb question alert*

if you have a recorder and a microphone that can do mid/side, do you also need a pre-amp to process mid/side prior to going to the recorder?

thanks.

nope...........its actually better to record it raw....meaning card to one channel and fig8 in the other and use your favorite mastering program to do the mixing....  this way you can dial in the wide of the sound field....

peace ook
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »
is there any word if you can use the RCA outputs and the Coax out at the same time??

Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

kirk97132

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »
So more information directly from Sound Devices regarding retailers. 

First, take a look at our list of resellers here:

http://www.sounddevices.com/resellers/

These companies have a direct relationship with Sound Devices and when
the USBPre 2 begins shipping in October, they will have it available. If
they are not on this list, they are not a Sound Devices reseller (this
list is kept up-to-date).

We are aware of scammers who sell product at well-below market price to
lure customers. Based on your message below, that may be what is going
on here. I am confident the resellers on our list don't do this
behavior. If I were you, I would demand a full refund. You don't mention
who the company is, nor does it matter, but the fact that they won't
refund your money is an indicator that something funny may be going on.
If you suspect illegal activity, I would contact the Better Business
Bureau or attorney general and report their activity.

We have yet to begin shipping the USBPre 2. When we do, I recommend
purchasing from a company on our reseller list to be certain that they
can indeed fulfill the order.

Jon Tatooles
Managing Director
Sound Devices, LLC

And I am now awaiting word about my refund.  I'll let y'all know how things shake out but if I were you I'd call Adam at Full Compass please tell him Kirk sent you.  If you want to contact me via PM I can tell you more, Kirk

Offline NicStage

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound Devices, LLC Support
    • Sound Devices
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
I also asked them if it was possible to link 2 or more together they replied:

"The USBPre 2, like the original USBPre, has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. There is no method for inserting signal into the stereo bus besides using the main inputs. So linking multiple units is not possible. It is definitely possible to hook up multiple units to a single computer, however most applications are only able to address one device for input and one device for playback, so it would not allow the use of more than 2 inputs even if more than one USBPre 2 were connected. It would be possible to use more than one USBPre 2 as a signal converter for more than 2 channels. So if 3 USBPre 2 units were powered, you would have 6 analog (mic/line) or digital inputs that could be output balanced analog, unbalanced analog, coaxial S/PDIF, and optical TOSLINK."
One thing I would add to this (That's yours truly in the blue text there) is that Mac OS X has a function called Aggregate Audio. This allows you to essentially combine all the inputs and outputs available on multiple sound cards that are connected to the computer into a single virtual device. Since the USBPre 2 complies with the USB Audio Class, it can take advantage of this feature. We haven't done extensive testing, but initial tests of aggregating multiple USBPre 2 interfaces on one Mac have had positive results. Of course it should be noted that to work around clocking issues, the aggregate function in OS X re-samples audio. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:50:16 PM by NicStage »
Sound Devices, LLC Support

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
One thing I would add to this (That's yours truly in the blue text there) is that Mac OS X has a function called Aggregate Audio. This allows you to essentially combine all the inputs and outputs available on multiple sound cards that are connected to the computer into a single virtual device. Since the USBPre 2 complies with the USB Audio Class, it can take advantage of this feature. We haven't done extensive testing, but initial tests of aggregating multiple USBPre 2 interfaces on one Mac have had positive results. Of course it should be noted that to work around clocking issues, the aggregate function in OS X re-samples audio. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

Great to see SD post here!  Now how about an upgraded 744 with four pre's instead of two...  :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com