Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: One thing I immediately notice with the Edirol R4 and a question  (Read 7365 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: One thing I immediately notice with the Edirol R4 and a question
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »
So the acoustic phenomenom of phase cancellation and reinforcement are not in play...it doesnt work the same way in the electrical world?

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 07:26:57 PM »
I try to avoid seeing anything hotter than -10dBFS, period.....  0dBFS in 16 bit is the equivalent of -40dBFS in 24bit, so noise isnt an issue..I dont agree with riding the levels to -0,,..theres just no excuse for having any overs.
You are loosing me here Teddy.  The noise is from the analog end not the digital.  How does this differ.  the pre's are the same either way.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 07:27:43 PM »
So the acoustic phenomenom of phase cancellation and reinforcement are not in play...it doesnt work the same way in the electrical world?

I'm not sure what you are saying either.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 08:01:21 AM »
one thing about recording in 24bit ..yes, you can have great dynamics and detail with a "shallow" signal that peaks at -12db. 
OTOH, you have to have MASSIVE power in your playback system to get that to reproduce back at the same volume as the actual performance.

this said, there is no harm in ridding a little hotter.  I try to get my 24bit stuff to peak at around -2db...but hitting 0db doesnt hurt anything.

Offline shruggy1987

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
i still think it sucks.
If I cant hear it on my headphones durring a show, then I dont like it.

Ety's...need not apply.  those make any headphone amp sound fine.  try driving a pair of Senns w/it.
yuk!
sucks comparred to the FR2.  now THAT was a headphone amp.  the DAP1 also was way better, imo.

the ety's will make the output volume of any headphone amp sound fine but they WILL NOT make any headphone amp sound fine.  they WILL make any bad headphone amp sound bad.  with that said, however, at a loud show, i am not really too worried about how noisy my headphone amp is. 
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2006, 04:02:21 AM »
i still think it sucks.
If I cant hear it on my headphones durring a show, then I dont like it.

Ety's...need not apply.  those make any headphone amp sound fine.  try driving a pair of Senns w/it.
yuk!
sucks comparred to the FR2.  now THAT was a headphone amp.  the DAP1 also was way better, imo.

the ety's will make the output volume of any headphone amp sound fine but they WILL NOT make any headphone amp sound fine.  they WILL make any bad headphone amp sound bad.  with that said, however, at a loud show, i am not really too worried about how noisy my headphone amp is. 
I have used both my hd280 pro's and my ety er-4p's with my r4.  I prefer the ety's but either is passable imo.

Matt

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 09:09:05 PM »
That is why we have ears on our heads, and meters in the software!

So long as you have a good set of both!   ;)
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com