Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrade for my Minime? (Advice requested)  (Read 8338 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Upgrade for my Minime? (Advice requested)
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »
I have been running a V2 > Minime combo for a while and I am ready for some change.  Rite now I run Neumann U89> V2> Minime> HD-P2 normally at 24/48.   I love the way my rig sounds but just have the urge to change things up a bit.  I was considering:

Getting rid of the minime and the HD-P2 and getting a 722
Or
Replacing the V2/Minime with a V3
Or
Getting rid of the Minime and getting a mod for my HD-P2.

Any suggestions would be great.
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Upgrade for my Minime? (Advice requested)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:33:17 PM »
I would go for the 722

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:27:20 AM »
I hate to jump on the band wagon especially since I just got my 702 but honestly it is a killer box. The AD stage is awesome & the quality is excellent. I would jump on the bandwagon, there is a reason people fluff these things like they do.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:19 AM »
Keep the minime  ;)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »
If I had to build around the u89s, I"d be looking V3. 

I say that because i'm not a huge LD fan for concert taping.  and if I was to use them, i'd want the preamp to be clean, and QUICK.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:21:31 AM »

I say that because i'm not a huge LD fan for concert taping.  and if I was to use them, i'd want the preamp to be clean, and QUICK.

bingo.. i'd say v3..    or get a tmod on the hdp2 for choice #2..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »

bingo.. i'd say v3..    or get a tmod on the hdp2 for choice #2..

My ears agree (not that I've had the pleasure of running such a rig.)

Either way, send me the mini-me  ;)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 09:33:07 AM »

well, Ed's already got a clean, quick, transparent pre-amp, the V2.  While I think the V3 is great (I love mine, especially at 24 bit), I don't know if its what i would recommend here.  honestly, the V3, the Mini-Me, and the 722 all have very nice A/D converters, and while you will hear a difference between the units, its not going to be a major change to the sound.  You say yourself that you love the sound of your rig, and while I understand the urge to change things up, I'd say stick with what you've got.  The MiniMe A/D has a bit more "punch" (for lack of a better word) than the V3's A/D.  So if you're looking to keep some of that, I'd say V2 > 722 would be the way to go.  The V3's A/D is a bit more "laid back", which I find to be very smooth and natural sounding.  The 722's A/D puts a little more "oomph" into the low end, similar to the Mini-Me (but not quite as much, IMO).

I think you should check out a comp between the V3 straight up and the V3 > 722 (which is basically identical to the V2 > 722), it's here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81297.0.html
it's an older comp, but the files are still being hosted so check it out.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
Keep the minime  ;)

x2

It's all about soundstage and depth  8)

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 10:34:34 AM »
I run a 722 and have for a while...

I have run it sans pre and with adn the V3 is my choice for it.... I like the flexability, transparency and ease of use...

:D
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline silentmark

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 11:16:40 AM »
In the end it really depends on what you like.

I have never been a big fan of the v2/v3 units sound wise, top quality products on all levels no doubt, but for what I prefer, it's now apogee. Now the footprint of the minime is another thing all together  ::)

Don't overlook the modded fostex fr2le allin one boxes either. I've heard both the "warm" & "transparent" mods and I like them both alot. The biggest knock on that box is the tiny gain pots, but other than that it is high on the list for me. It is also less than half the cost of the SD722 or 702. Just another option ...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:19:04 AM by silentmark »
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 03:05:12 PM »
Keep the minime  ;)

i run the apogee mini-me and cant say enough good things about it, esp. the way that you are using only the A>D.

i always like to present this point, when discussing the upgrade 'bug'.
there was (AND STILL IS) a reason we (all tapers...) used outboard pre-amps, and A>Ds = they make the recording better
(this is all assuming that size/space is not that big of an issue to you)

All-in-One boxes honestly can never match the bar that was 'set' once I had individual pre-amps/A>D/bodies/etc....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:07:16 PM by todd e »

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »
lol, I say keep it! V2>Mme is sickie sickie   ;D 
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »
if it were me...i'd get new mics.

I love Grace > apogee rigs.  but...the apogee is a tad colored.  which by itself is not a bad thing.  but adding LD mics to it and my ears find that combo a bit sluggish.

If the mics have to stay, then the preamp should stay too.  my vote then goes for the recorder of choice.

Offline silentmark

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »
Check with Oade to see if he will give the ACM treatment to your MM. He modded the V3 (although I don't know if those were purchased from him). You could have a new flavor for your old preamp. I am sure someone has to have inquired about this by now.

Oade mod to the MME, hmmmmmmm, has anyone ever looked into this ?

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »
All of the feedback has been great.  The problem still remains that after you move into a new piece of gear it is hard to turn back if you don’t like it.  There is a guy locally that has a V3 and a mod P2.  I should just talk to him see and if I can barrow them or use them for some comps. 

I listened to the 722/V3 comp and to be honest I liked the V3 better.  First let me say they are very similar.  Second I like the tighter rounder low end rather than a bloated loose low end.  Keep in mind the differences were subtle but I want to stay away from a loose low end with the LD’s and concert recording.  Even if I loved the 722 AD I would have a hard time spending the money.   

I have stated to consider picking up a MMP to mess around with.  I would like hear that with the MME.

If I sold the 89’s I don’t know what I would move into.  Having all the patterns is great.  At this point I am open to any upgrade (for lack of a better word) suggestions.
Thanks,
Ed

Offline silentmark

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 04:18:23 PM »
I have stated to consider picking up a MMP to mess around with.  I would like hear that with the MME.

I don't think I've seen anyone run an MMP in front. Anyone ?

I know I can fit one in my bag with a cage adjustment and I think there are one or two still for sale, hmmmmm  8)

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »
v2->722 would be great for sound and form factor.

I've been re-listening to a lot of my old u89 tapes, man those mics smoke. Not so great from a long distance but up front they are just killer. I need to get a pair again.

I liked the m148 or psp2 with the u89s, especially if taping from the section - the transformer pres give a nice boost.

what kind of sound are you looking for? It's hard to suggest a change in gear without knowing what it is you'd like to change sonically or what sort of sound you're looking for.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 10:21:55 AM »
All of the feedback has been great.  The problem still remains that after you move into a new piece of gear it is hard to turn back if you don’t like it.  There is a guy locally that has a V3 and a mod P2.  I should just talk to him see and if I can barrow them or use them for some comps. 

I listened to the 722/V3 comp and to be honest I liked the V3 better.  First let me say they are very similar.  Second I like the tighter rounder low end rather than a bloated loose low end.  Keep in mind the differences were subtle but I want to stay away from a loose low end with the LD’s and concert recording.  Even if I loved the 722 AD I would have a hard time spending the money.   

If I sold the 89’s I don’t know what I would move into.  Having all the patterns is great.  At this point I am open to any upgrade (for lack of a better word) suggestions.
Thanks,
Ed

Man I have regreetted every gear sale I ever made... You could hear me saying for years Man I should never have sold.....

My feeling is Save up and buy something that fills a whole in the u89's  They kill upfront but a small diaphragm condenser is great way back or in other configs.. My advice is to go patching or dl'g from guys you know can get the most out of their equipment... I play harmonica and build and restore mics for that app. There are so many searching for the killer Little Walter tone but ... Little Walter sounded like that without the amp! or the mic.. So much of it is not in the rig but in how you apply your abilities to the gear you have...

I just transfered a master aud cassette of 12/11/69 the guy (knight) used a cheep Sony cassette recorder with a mono mic and don't you know he got a killer pull...

So this long winded thing just highlights the fact that if you add to your rig and use it well when needed you will get great recordings..

I have heard amazing recordings from:

akg's 460's, sony's54's, shure 57's, senns 421's and some real clunkers from Schoeps, Neumann's and DPA's...

The u89's are killer keep um.. Try a pencil mic as another set to use in different conditions...

As for the grace stuff .. I love it... Start un-modded get a feel for it.. listen to the mod stuff.. In the end Mod is just color usually changes in caps in the pre section. It was always funny to me that you are buying a relatively transparent pre why add color. If you want that buy that but thats my opinion and you know what opinions are like ;-) ROFL.... And most of us edit our pulls after the fact so you are gonna change eq, gain and sound stage anyway why not do it in SW...

thats my $.02

Hope it helps..
A :D
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »
Try a mytek 24/192 cleanest AD around...
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 09:20:40 PM »
So I got three people that say 722, three stay v3, one for mytek, and three say keep the minime.  Thanks for the feedback.  I don't know what I am going to do or if I am going to do anything.  But the weels are turning.  Tax return time always makes me stress out over gear I don't even have.   

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 11:51:05 PM »
All of your options are pretty killer, but my vote in your situation is to keep the Mme and pick up a Mmp to run in front.
That pairing should be fantastic.  Keep the Apogees togetha'
 :D

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 11:13:45 PM »
Looks like I am picking up the MMP. 

Offline shaunpekar

• Taperssection Member
  • Dose Your Face
    • My Live Music Collection
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »
you getting rid of the V2 Ed?

hmm, lemme know if you are. Id love to take that thing for a spin. Spend many a night drooling over all the pretty lights in your bag.
JM27's > FR2LE

Face to face we will meet again, But never eye to eye

Offline silentmark

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 08:06:01 AM »
Looks like I am picking up the MMP. 

Nice, my inner slut is telling me to do the same  8)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »
sell the mnime and tascam and get a 702

v2>SD7xx is nice

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »
Keep the U89's>v2 sell the mini me and the get your hd-p2 modded by oade or busmann. 
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
Yea but do you think the AD in a mod P2 is going to be better than a minime?  That would be a great option to make my bag lighter.  At this point I am getting the mini mp to play around with and keeping the V2.  In the end I will keep the pre I like better.       

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »
I think that the a/d of the mini me is one the best sounding a/d's I ever heard.  I think that the ACM modded units come close but nothing quite grabs the clarity that the mini me offers.  I remember speaking to Doug when I ordered my ACM and he said it was very close soundstage to that of the mini me's.  I know that a lot of people will disagree with me but I don't really like the sound of the 7XX units.  My 0.02
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 08:42:38 AM »
I actually prefer the HD-P2 ADC to the MiniMe.  The field-taper Apogee ADCs all sound a bit etched and unnatural to my ears.  Tough to explain.  Don't get me wrong, they sound great, but just not my preference.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

stirinthesauce

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »
I actually prefer the HD-P2 ADC to the MiniMe.  The field-taper Apogee ADCs all sound a bit etched and unnatural to my ears.  Tough to explain.  Don't get me wrong, they sound great, but just not my preference.

see, amazing how different ears can hear different things and find different sonic characteristics pleasing.  While I find the p2 adc very nice, I've decided, once again, to go back to the mme.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.189 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com