Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite 4 channel deck under $700  (Read 10506 times)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Favorite 4 channel deck under $700
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
Surprised at the USB interface restriction to only 4 channels out, wasn't aware of that.

If it had the ability to output all channels individually, which is my only remaining problem with it, I'd certainly move to the F8.  But that won't affect most users here at TS.

Can any of the recorders used in these parts do that?

Sure, R44, R88, DR-680 all provide individual outputs for each analog input.  R44 and DR-680 unbalanced via RCAs, R88 balanced via 8 XLRs.

The manual says:

"This is an 8-in/4-out connection mode for Mac/Windows and sends tracks 1–8 as separate signals"

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 05:43:08 PM »
Okay, so not a USB restriction in and of itself, but analog input and output (via a USB computer connection or otherwise) remains dependant on the available hardware inputs (8 ) and outputs available (4) on the recorder.
 It can send all eight out to a computer over USB, but cannot output them as analog signals.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184412.0
^
Back on topic, I'd jump on that!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:49:21 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 07:21:20 PM »
A buddy sold his mixpre3 recently. Said it was hyped up being the new kid on the block with lots of bells and whistles but the pre wasn't much better than an m10.

What mics was he using for his comparison?

The pre on the micpre3 and mixpre6 is not hype.

the m10 doesn't have p48 xlr preamps. So, as my Talmud teacher would say, "you're comparing noodles to potatoes." (as a polish Holocaust survivor, he saw both oranges and apples for the first time only after coming to America in the late 40's)

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 12:07:56 AM »
I absolutely loved my Tascam DR-680mkii!   I only sold it because I got strapped for cash.  I then bought the Tascam DR-70D and it is about perfect (for all the reasons others have already mentioned).  Plus, I could set it and leave it without worry, and when that festival dust started blowing, I knew is would be easy to replace if anything happened to it.  BUT, I certainly began missing those channels 5/6 and 7/8 that the DR-680mkii provided.  2 mixed stereo pairs plus a soundboard is about perfect.  I received a MixPre6 as a christmas gift, so I haven't used my DR-70 while I get to know the mixpre6.  But, I can't seem to allow myself to sell the DR-70.  It's the perfect 2nd recorder, or primary under sketchy conditions.

All that said, you may be able to find a used Zoom F8 for around $700.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 12:11:21 AM »
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »
I absolutely loved my Tascam DR-680mkii!   I only sold it because I got strapped for cash.  I then bought the Tascam DR-70D and it is about perfect (for all the reasons others have already mentioned).  Plus, I could set it and leave it without worry, and when that festival dust started blowing, I knew is would be easy to replace if anything happened to it.  BUT, I certainly began missing those channels 5/6 and 7/8 that the DR-680mkii provided.  2 mixed stereo pairs plus a soundboard is about perfect.  I received a MixPre6 as a christmas gift, so I haven't used my DR-70 while I get to know the mixpre6.  But, I can't seem to allow myself to sell the DR-70.  It's the perfect 2nd recorder, or primary under sketchy conditions.

All that said, you may be able to find a used Zoom F8 for around $700.

I'm waiting to see if Marantz improves the loss of USB power and ZERO data written to a card issue with the PMD-706 but that's a 6-channel recorder in a box the size of the 70D.  If they can get that one issue resolved, that'd be the deck I'd point to and it sells for the same price as the 70D.  Apparently it's pres are quieter than the 70D as well.

I'm rebuilding and I'll either go with the 70D or the 706 depending on the one issue of concern.  To have six inputs is very helpful.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com