Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3/Oade-warm-mod-UA5 comparison  (Read 40400 times)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:V3/Oade-warm-mod-UA5 comparison
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2003, 11:41:43 AM »
I stand corrected, I read the first post wrong, it is the same songs....my bad
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tim

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2003, 12:09:30 PM »
I love how everyone is ready to trade their V3 in for a UA-5 after one comp tape that didn't even allow you to listen to the same song going through different sources....you guys kill me  ;D

:o

???

is there any way you can be more wrong?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2003, 12:11:48 PM »
Why don't you listen to it Creek? You're the biggest V3 fluffer around here, perhpas this will show it's not the end al /be all for every taping situation. As I and many others have been saying for months, no doubt that it's a sweet box in the right situation but I can't imagine having it as my only option.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2003, 12:15:13 PM »
I don't think this comp proves the UA-5 blows away the V3.

But I do think it proves the Warm UA-5 is a real piece of taping gear.

I've known it & I love my 480> Warm UA-5 combo.

Just seems to me the folks running the GA bricks, V3, MMe ect look at the UA-5 as junk they know nothing about.  I actually had a jerk at Gainesville panic tell me to get a real pre/ad combo.

My wife heard this & told him to get a real Rolex he was wearing a fake. (her whole family for generations are jewelers)
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2003, 12:17:56 PM »
My wife heard this & told him to get a real Rolex he was wearing a fake. (her whole family for generations are jewelers)

someone here may be this guy?  

« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 12:18:31 PM by kindguy »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2003, 12:18:47 PM »
I've still never heard an UA-5 tape and would like to. Especially a warm mod, after hearing the comments here.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2003, 12:19:57 PM »
Why don't you listen to it Creek? You're the biggest V3 fluffer around here, perhpas this will show it's not the end al /be all for every taping situation. As I and many others have been saying for months, no doubt that it's a sweet box in the right situation but I can't imagine having it as my only option.

biggest V3 fluffer? uh? I was just commenting on all the people that now are posting saying that the UA5 owns the V3, etc, that is pure fluffing on the UA5 since it was based on one comp tape. Also, did you real my next post, I read the info wrong. Not sure why you think I am the biggest V3 fluffer, I think the V3 works best with my mics, and unlike many people, I actually ran a mini-me and then a V3 for awhile before making that decision. Not fluff, just my opinion. I don't listen to comp tapes because I don't have time and its not going to make me change my mind.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 12:21:50 PM by creekfreak »
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tim

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2003, 12:20:04 PM »
I hadn't heard a ua5 tape either, I really don't trade and I only know one guy who has one so I haven't yet picked up any tapes. Now I know it is a quality piece of gear!

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2003, 12:27:34 PM »
I actually had a jerk at Gainesville panic tell me to get a real pre/ad combo.

lmfao- +t

In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2003, 12:33:50 PM »
Hey - just catching up on with you guys on this.  I burned it this weekend but didn't have a chance to really listen until this morning.
My first impressions from Saturday stuck with me.  The 'A' was a little on the harsh side at the top end and to my ear, didn't provide any more detail than the 'B', which I preferred tonally.

I listened two ways - a minute on each back and forth and then an extended listen.  In both cases, the preference for 'B' stuck with me.

I'd actually go as far as saying I wouldn't be real happy with 'A' and would want to tone down that brittle quality with some eq.  I realize that this only represents one venue, mix and mic placement sample.  I also guessed that 'B' was the UA-5, only because it does actually sound 'warmer'.  Had the V3 sounded warmer, I would have guessed the other way around.  The warm mod is appropriately named.

As listening tests go, I found the crowd noise to be a bother.  I'd love to do it again with a really good sounding source.

I'd also love to hear a stock UA-5 against any of the mod'd versions.  Sometimes it seems there are lots of folks with blind faith in the Oade stuff.  A different sound -  that's easy if you start swapping components.  A better sound? I need to hear it before agreeing or disagreeing.  A/B comparisons count for more than stories and feelings.

Thanks for putting this together Brian.

btw, playback was on a Nak CD player, Naim electronics (active system) and Linn Isobarik speakers.  The cd player is admittedly weak.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2003, 01:04:02 PM »
Many thanks to those who posted detailed feedback about how these two sources sounded different to their ears.  It appears most of us heard the same sonic characteristics, even if we guessed incorrectly which source was which device.

Stay tuned for another comp.  As others, I'm curious to hear this comp with a better sounding room/PA/mix/crowd.  Loving all the discussion this comp has spurred, though - good stuff (for the most part)!

Now keep it civil, kiddies...   :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2003, 01:06:22 PM »
Has anyone done a v3/ mod ua-5 comp at 24 bit?

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2003, 01:06:51 PM »
Has anyone done a v3/ mod ua-5 comp at 24 bit?

Phil

Wish I could!  Would love to hear that one, too.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2003, 01:08:23 PM »

biggest V3 fluffer? uh? I was just commenting on all the people that now are posting saying that the UA5 owns the V3, etc, that is pure fluffing on the UA5 since it was based on one comp tape. Also, did you real my next post, I read the info wrong. Not sure why you think I am the biggest V3 fluffer, I think the V3 works best with my mics, and unlike many people, I actually ran a mini-me and then a V3 for awhile before making that decision. Not fluff, just my opinion. I don't listen to comp tapes because I don't have time and its not going to make me change my mind.

FWIW I was joking when i said the w-mod ua5 owned the V3. I also said "for now" as well.  

the  most surprising part about all of this was the fact that some of you guys have never heard any w-mod tapes before. I dunno why, but i find that amazing.  I guess you guys all thought it was a piece of crap or something? Hopefully this one test, like others have said, will show that it is a quality piece of recording gear and proves that there is not a thousand dollar difference in quality between it and the V3. Cause you know what? there definitely isn't IMO. Not trying be biased or anything, it's really how i feel.

Brian

EDIT: again thanks to Skalinder for doing this!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 01:10:54 PM by STL-Taper »

Offline Tim

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2003, 01:09:50 PM »
hadn't heard one because, until recently, I didn't know anyone who ran one... I get tapes from my friends, not through trades.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com