Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home theater surround recommendations?  (Read 10764 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Home theater surround recommendations?
« on: October 01, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
Can some folks post some makes/models of surround speakers?  I will shop for front two later, but want to grab a few pair for rear and sides and am looking for suggestions.  In wall or satellite. 

I dont want to say no budget, but please, priced within reason.  I am just surfing at this point.

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
Re: Home theater surround recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
5.1 or 7.1  I would go with B&W 600 line you can get the 5.1 for about $2500.
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

kskreider

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:51:55 PM »
I was just perusing the B & W's.  Joseph Audio was also recommended as well as Vandersteens.  Thanks and +T for the reply.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »
I'm no help, just posting to watch the thread. I've gone multi-generational for the time being-
My 80's Infinitys up front, my fathers 70's Yamahas on the sides and my grandfather's 60's Warfdales in back.  It's like a time-warp.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kskreider

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
Adding Definitive Technology ProCinema series to my searches.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »
Just brainstorming:

Gallo nucleus micro's
Paradigm monitors or the ADP for a dipolar surround
PSB (alpha)
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

kskreider

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 06:26:03 PM »
I did look at some PSB and Paradigm stuff earlier.  I like brainstorming.  Feel free to type out loud. 

The Gallo's are new to me.  I also looked at some nice Speakercraft in-walls.

Running sketches past the warden tonight to see what she thinks about some of the ideas and to hash out a budget.

I need to get into a showroom and audition some of this stuff.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:31:01 PM »

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 05:36:57 AM »
I have Epos in my home theater set up and have been very pleased. If you're seriously considering in-walls, perhaps look into B&W.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline notsofast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »
I have older NHT's (2.5i and matching center) and was looking at the B & W's and Paradigm. Like mic's the only way to really buy is to listen for what you like and listen too. Many shops offer a buy and try/trade in and I did that. They always sound different in your house than the floor of the store.

I am very happy with my speakers and listen to a lot of acoustic, bluegrass, Grateful Dead, etc. The thing I have found is the accuracy, sound stage and seperation improve with $ spent. Hmmmm, this sight has taught me that about mics as well.

I am looking to improving my amp and pre for home theater and music. Given the diversity here I would love to hear more on what folks are doing in this area as well.

All the best,

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com