Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix  (Read 6998 times)

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
Matrix
« on: January 30, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
My first time doing a matrix recording.  I think it came out ok, I just want your input and tips for next time.

https://archive.org/details/wr2016-01-21.matrix.flac16
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Matrix
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 07:31:23 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I'd rather have a bit more SBD in my mix.

One thing I like to do is to try different mixes when I have multiple sources. Do one with more AUD and one with more SBD. Also I like to take a break after I think I've got things dialed and then listen again later.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »

One thing I like to do is to try different mixes when I have multiple sources. Do one with more AUD and one with more SBD. Also I like to take a break after I think I've got things dialed and then listen again later.

Yep, what a difference a day makes.  Great advice +T
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:24:03 PM »
I've run a few matrices now, and my preference is less SBD than AUD; but I tape mostly rock bands, and the purpose of the SBD is to bring forward the vocals, and sometimes the guitar(s).

A typical ratio I use is (approx) 60:40 AUD:SBD.

But whatever sounds best to your ears, and as the previous posters said, don't rush it.

Your recording sounds great, by the way, you must be pleased. Unusual Beatles cover :-)

Why are tracks 12-17, 19 missing titles?
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »
Optimal SBD/AUD ratio is going to depend on so many things — type of music (especially how much it depends on stage amps), size and shape of the room, quality of the board mix — that it's always going to be a case-by-case basis. I've had shows where I've used mostly SBD with only a small percentage of AUD to provide some ambience, and others where the SBD feed was almost all vocals and I just used a smidge of that to brighten those up.

Your matrix definitely sounds really good, especially for a first attempt, but I'd go with Fatah in saying a bit more SBD might be nice, to reduce some of the room echo. Without hearing what the isolated SBD sounds like, though, no way to know whether that would make matters worse in another way...

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:41:02 AM »
Optimal SBD/AUD ratio is going to depend on so many things — type of music (especially how much it depends on stage amps), size and shape of the room, quality of the board mix — that it's always going to be a case-by-case basis. I've had shows where I've used mostly SBD with only a small percentage of AUD to provide some ambience, and others where the SBD feed was almost all vocals and I just used a smidge of that to brighten those up.

Your matrix definitely sounds really good, especially for a first attempt, but I'd go with Fatah in saying a bit more SBD might be nice, to reduce some of the room echo. Without hearing what the isolated SBD sounds like, though, no way to know whether that would make matters worse in another way...

Here's the 2 separate sources...

BSC1: https://archive.org/details/wr2016-01-21.bsc1.flac16
SBD: https://archive.org/details/wr2016-01-21.sbd.flac16
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:17:22 AM »
I think one could quibble with the amount of SBD, but personally I think given how unbalanced the SBD was (mostly vocals, strangely high single percussion(?) sound, like a loud clicking) and how echo-y the AUD was (I'd guess you were pretty far back in the room and/or used some kind of unjustifiably wide pattern). So I actually think your balance was pretty optimal, and a really, really nice job for a first time. If I were you, the next time I was in that venue, if I could get closer to the sound source, I would; I would use a wider spacing between the mics but narrower included angle; and I would probably use the hypercardiod capsules.

Anyway, you should be very happy with your result. Here's to many more.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 09:29:17 AM »
I think one could quibble with the amount of SBD, but personally I think given how unbalanced the SBD was (mostly vocals, strangely high single percussion(?) sound, like a loud clicking) and how echo-y the AUD was (I'd guess you were pretty far back in the room and/or used some kind of unjustifiably wide pattern). So I actually think your balance was pretty optimal, and a really, really nice job for a first time. If I were you, the next time I was in that venue, if I could get closer to the sound source, I would; I would use a wider spacing between the mics but narrower included angle; and I would probably use the hypercardiod capsules.

Anyway, you should be very happy with your result. Here's to many more.

Ha, I was in the middle of posting how the SBD sounds relatively well balanced to me, so you could afford to use more of it in the mix. Good example of how YMMV all this is.

I don't think there's any substitute for trying multiple mix ratios, listening to each until you doubt your own sanity, then bugging all your friends to listen and tell you which they prefer until they, too, begin to doubt your sanity. And probably still ending up with the initial one you settled on in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:35:02 AM by nulldogmas »

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
If you know or plan on doing a matrix, I'd run levels lower than normal, I prefer not to use any compression tool on recordings. I usually feel sbd are too bright, so I tend to go 60 aud 40 sbd.
nice recording, thanks
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:18 AM »
If you know or plan on doing a matrix, I'd run levels lower than normal, I prefer not to use any compression tool on recordings.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. You don't need to use compression to reduce the volume of each source, just ... reduce the volume.

Throwing away bits during recording to avoid throwing away those same bits later doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Better to record both at normal levels, especially since then if one source goes bad you still have the other at full volume to work with.

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 11:06:29 AM »
If you know or plan on doing a matrix, I'd run levels lower than normal, I prefer not to use any compression tool on recordings.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. You don't need to use compression to reduce the volume of each source, just ... reduce the volume.

Throwing away bits during recording to avoid throwing away those same bits later doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Better to record both at normal levels, especially since then if one source goes bad you still have the other at full volume to work with.

so reducing volume is different than compression, and doesn't change original recording traits ...okay I stand corrected.
Using Wavelab 6, I've had issues doing martix were I wished I ran levels lower. By no means an expert on martixing sources

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
^^also just saying a bit lower on the levels not real weak, just lower..

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 02:17:09 PM »
I find that the SB to AUD ratio often depends on what is running through the SB.  In small shows/small venues, the SB may be just vocals (and keys), with the rest of the instruments amped through the back line or not at all (drums).  Sometimes the kick and/or some of the other drums may be run through the SB.  In large shows, pretty much everything is run through the SB to some degree.  Generally I have found, at least for me, there is an inverse relationship between the amount run through the SB and the percentage of AUD I use in a mix - that is, if there is more run through the SB, I use a smaller percentage of AUD in the mix - and vice versa.  It is trickier to mix when some, but not all, instruments are run through the SB.  Definitely walking away from a mix and coming back to it later helps.  I also play a mix in my car and on my home stereo, in addition to my monitors, to try and get a better sense of how it translates.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 03:24:26 PM »
I find that the SB to AUD ratio often depends on what is running through the SB.  In small shows/small venues, the SB may be just vocals (and keys), with the rest of the instruments amped through the back line or not at all (drums).  Sometimes the kick and/or some of the other drums may be run through the SB.  In large shows, pretty much everything is run through the SB to some degree.  Generally I have found, at least for me, there is an inverse relationship between the amount run through the SB and the percentage of AUD I use in a mix - that is, if there is more run through the SB, I use a smaller percentage of AUD in the mix - and vice versa.  It is trickier to mix when some, but not all, instruments are run through the SB.  Definitely walking away from a mix and coming back to it later helps.  I also play a mix in my car and on my home stereo, in addition to my monitors, to try and get a better sense of how it translates.

This, in general.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 03:31:17 PM »
I find that the SB to AUD ratio often depends on what is running through the SB.  In small shows/small venues, the SB may be just vocals (and keys), with the rest of the instruments amped through the back line or not at all (drums).  Sometimes the kick and/or some of the other drums may be run through the SB.  In large shows, pretty much everything is run through the SB to some degree. 

Totally, but it depends on the band as well. It's mostly about stage amps: If the band on stage has their amps up to 11 and it's a relatively small room, then those instruments end up getting dropped out of the PA mix because otherwise they'd be too loud. If it's a mandolin-and-melodica duo, it'll probably go through the amps unless they're playing in a closet.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »
Wherever your DAW shows a ratio of your mix, or any numbers relating to that, cut out a small piece of a Post-It note and cover that up on your monitor, never look at it again  ;D SBD mixes vary so greatly in my experience that formulas are useless at best, or dangerous at worst (because they discourage critical listening).

smokenburn

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »
The amount of SBD depends on the board mix.  You might not want to use any at all, on the other hand you might want to use mostly SBD and just a little AUD.  Likewise, the amount of AUD used may vary based on the room acoustics.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 09:54:57 PM »
When you mix the two sources, the overall volume is additive. There is no reason to try to adjust for that when recording. Just adjust each track in the montage and this:
Quote from: Sloan Simpson
Wherever your DAW shows a ratio of your mix, or any numbers relating to that, cut out a small piece of a Post-It note and cover that up on your monitor, never look at it again

Using Wavelab 6, I've had issues doing martix were I wished I ran levels lower. By no means an expert on martixing sources
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
Wherever your DAW shows a ratio of your mix, or any numbers relating to that, cut out a small piece of a Post-It note and cover that up on your monitor, never look at it again  ;D SBD mixes vary so greatly in my experience that formulas are useless at best, or dangerous at worst (because they discourage critical listening).

FTW!

Who cares what the ratio is? It's never going to be the same twice.  Unless the two sources are level adjusted beforehand so that they have identical RMS values before combining them, a ratio of the combination of the two is completely meaningless.  And even if that was actually done, identical mix ratios between two different recording dates would still produce different subjective results, because differences in content, spectrum, and dynamics between the two sources will require different mix ratios.  Even if RMS level matched, mixing the two source based on a ratio is meaningless.

Mix ratio only has meaning in some audio software as a rather clumsy way of adjusting the relative levels, and even then only within that particular session with those particular files.  Whatever ratio works optionally for one recording usually will not translate to the next one.

All it takes is listening with a hand on the level controls. Figure out what relative combination levels sounds best, then adjust the level of the resulting combination.

Just like the admiral confirmed as well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:11:01 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »

FTW!

Who cares what the ratio is? It's never going to be the same twice.  Unless the two sources are level adjusted beforehand so that they have identical RMS values before combining them, a ratio of the combination of the two is completely meaningless anyway!

All it takes is listening with a hand on the level controls. Figure out what sounds best, then adjust the level of the resulting combination however is necessary.

Just like the admiral confirmed as well.

In full agreement with Sloan, GB, and others. 

Another thing to keep in mind, if your mix sounds echo-y, is that you may have to push back, time-wise, your SBD source in relation to the AUD/MIC source to compensate for the distance between the stage and your AUD microphones.  Zooming in on the waveforms and aligning everything up in the beginning on, say, a drum hit, cymbal crash, etc is a good way to do so. 

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
^ agreed with all of that.  When I start working on a matrix, I hard pan my board to one side and my AUD to the other and align with the clearest snare drum hit I can find.  Then mix from there.  I probably tend to use a bit more board than most of you guys because I love the sound of a slightly more lively board, rather than a slightly more defined AUD.  I have a feeling that I do more editing than most tapers out there, but I occasionally will split my board feed with a crossover at around 250, and essentially mix low end and mids/highs separately.  Apply a bit of compression to the board and limit them on the master for some glue

There's really no better rule than this.  The idea of having something pre-set/determined before you even get it into the DAW is really dumb and only set to hinder your success.

Here are a few of my better matricies:
https://archive.org/details/nthpower2015-02-21.ca-14matrix
https://archive.org/details/moontaxi2016-01-28.matrix
https://archive.org/details/AQ2015-07-10.CM-33Matrix
https://archive.org/details/fataztec2015-03-22.Matrix

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com