Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FYI UA-5 ADC at 16-bit: native conversion, no dither  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
FYI UA-5 ADC at 16-bit: native conversion, no dither
« on: November 21, 2003, 06:45:22 PM »
Talk about quality customer service.   ::)  Note the submission date of my question.  They finally answered!

--- Edirol FAQ System <faq@edirol.com> wrote:

Thank you for your submission to the Edirol FAQ system on 8/6/2003 2:10:27 PM. Your question is answered below:

Question:  The specs state:  AD/DA Conversion: 24 bit Linear

However, the UA5 also outputs 16-bits.  *How* does the UA5 output 16-bit data?  Does it truncate 24-bits to 16?  Does it dither?  If it dithers, using what word-length reduction scheme?

Thanks.

Answer:

The UA-5 always outputs 24 bit data when in advanced mode, and really does not ever truncate data.  However, if you setup your software to record in 16 bit mode, it will truncate what the UA-5 is sending to the input.

The UA-5, in standard mode, will operate in 16 bit native mode, with no dithering or truncating neccesary - simply inputting and outputting as though it was a 16 bit audio interface.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline joeshambro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
Re:FYI UA-5 ADC at 16-bit: native conversion, no dither
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 04:35:30 AM »
It took them 3 weeks to process and respond to my FAQ submission....  and even then their answer was incredible vague.

When I think "Why didn't they do this or that on the UA5", I remember their support, and remember that practicality isn't part of Edirol.

Too bad, the UA5 is a beautiful product and could really take on some higher prices boxes with the right modifications.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com