Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Release a Show with Flaws?  (Read 4944 times)

Offline aleal5687

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Release a Show with Flaws?
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »
I did a search for the topic and came up with nothing.

Recently recorded Garbage and had some issues with either a bad 1/8" or a dirty line in.
It is very distracting on the first 2 songs, one song in the middle and at the end.
not just static but volume drops drastically.

Should i still release the show as is with a footnote of flaws?
remove  songs?

also have a qotsa show i recorded (omnis) with a fanboy right behind me.
very distracting during the quieter passages not so much with the loud parts.

Mics:CA11,CA14,AKG ck91(Homebrew active)
Pre/power: Ca Ugly, Oade mod sbm1,sp battery box,MT mic power
Recorder:R9HR,MT 24/96,Iriver ihp110(16gb cfmod)

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Release a Show with Flaws?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »
I understand why you think it might not be worth releasing.

My thoughts:

There's always someone who likes your recordings no matter what flaws they might have. Especially when there is no other source available.

Personally, I'm very glad to have 2 different sources, both full with flaws, of the first show I ever visited.
I wasn't into taping when I visited my first show but luckily two other people shared their recordings, with flaws.   

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 01:23:27 PM »
I'd say so long as you note the flaws, most people would prefer to have the whole show. You'd still upload it if you'd gotten there late and missed the first two songs entirely, right?

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 01:09:46 AM »
I work on stuff all the time....while I can't eliminate the flaws, I'd be happy to try and minimize them for you if you want to wetransfer me a link.

static is pretty easy in audacity, to at least zoom in and pull down the static only, and sweeping volume boosts can somewhat fix low level passages.

fwiw

-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:10 AM »
Had this issue with an American babies show I taped a month or two ago. And gas some strange distortion. Matrix sounds pretty good but they don't allow sbd online. Still haven't decided if I want to put out the bad aud on its own

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:19:10 AM »
usually always a "completist" who collects EVERYTHING a band does. Also maybe the performers may want to hear what they sounded like. Release it for sure, add lots of caveats. There was a recent recording on Dime a Dozen of a very unusual one-off pairing, James Blood Ulmer playing with "the Thing". Mostly brickwalled, sounds like poo. There were still a LOT of people who wanted it (75 so far, and still an active torrent)

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=542361

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 02:46:16 PM »
If the flaws are the result of my screw-up, even if its equipment related not directly something I had control over, I'm not releasing it.

I'm only releasing things I can be proud of and can stand behind. Everybody makes mistakes - I just don't have to share my mistakes with the world. I don't think there really is any reason to put sub-par recordings out there. Especially if there are additional sources.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
I'd say so long as you note the flaws, most people would prefer to have the whole show. You'd still upload it if you'd gotten there late and missed the first two songs entirely, right?
This
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 04:42:13 PM »
it's called "bootlegging"....not "24 track Mobile Fidelity recording".....

get it out there.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
If it has some "value" to it such as a rare performance or its the only source then I'd do it.  If its a piece of garbage (no pun intended) then why bother.  or instance when I had a preamp issue at a Rogewr Waers show and only had the internals in the DR-2D I recorded a few songs then decided to shitcan the recording.  I knew a better source existed and despite being in the prime seats I made the right call.  I listened to 2 songs and that was enough.  I did go back the next day with another preamp and got the prime seats again and made a worthwhile recording. 

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
If you were the only person that recorded, then yes, otherwise I don't usually bother, but with notes you can post anything, they've been warned.....
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline aleal5687

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying my best to edit the flaws.
I'll upload it to dime in the next week or so.
Thanks again
Mics:CA11,CA14,AKG ck91(Homebrew active)
Pre/power: Ca Ugly, Oade mod sbm1,sp battery box,MT mic power
Recorder:R9HR,MT 24/96,Iriver ihp110(16gb cfmod)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 06:55:10 AM »

get it out there.

It's NOT called bootlegging around here
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 03:21:41 PM »

get it out there.

It's NOT called bootlegging around here

again, are you confusing "pirated" with "bootlegged"?

live shows *are* called 'bootlegs', and have been going back way past the early 60's. they contain no *official studio* content (read: licensed), and are recorded by the fans, for the fans. as long as it's not sold, it ain't no big deal.

any stealth recording sans artist permission, it's called the same thing.  (read: "distribution" falls under the same parameters as 'sale' and 'production')

get off of your low horse already:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootleg_recording

A bootleg recording is an audio or video recording of a performance that was not officially released by the artist or under other legal authority. The process of making and distributing such recordings is known as bootlegging. Recordings may be simply copied and traded among fans of the artist without financial exchange, but some bootleggers have sold recordings for profit, sometimes by adding professional-quality sound engineering and packaging to the raw material.

Bootlegs can consist of recordings of live performances or material created in private or professional recording sessions. Changing technologies have had a great impact on the recording, distribution, and varying profitability of the underground industry. The copyrights for the song and the right to authorize recordings often reside with the artist, according to several international copyright treaties. The recording, trading and sale of bootlegs continues to thrive, however, even as artists and record companies attempt to provide "authorized" alternatives to satisfy the demand. The internet has become a popular medium to distribute bootleg material.

The word "bootleg" originates from the practice of smuggling illicit items in the legs of tall boots, particularly the smuggling of alcohol during the American Prohibition era. The word, over time, has come to refer to any illegal or illicit product. This term has become an umbrella term for illicit, unofficial, or unlicensed recordings, including vinyl LPs, bootleg silver CDs, or any other commercially sold bootlegged media or material.[1] The alternate terms ROIO or RoIO, an acronym meaning "Recording of Indeterminate Origin", or "Recording of Independent Origin", and VOIO or VoIO, an acronym meaning "Video of Indeterminate Origin", or "Video of Independent Origin", arose among Pink Floyd collectors, to clarify the recording source and copyright status was hard to determine.[2]

--------------------

Bootlegs should not be confused with counterfeit or pirated recordings, which are merely unauthorised duplicates of officially released recordings, often attempting to resemble the official product as close as possible. Some record companies have considered that any record issued outside of their control, and for which they do not receive payment, to be a counterfeit, which includes bootlegs. However, some bootleggers are keen to stress that the markets for bootleg and counterfeit recordings are different, and a typical consumer for a bootleg will have bought most or all of that artist's official releases anyway.[4]

bottom line: if the simpleton definition from dictionary.com is what helps you sleep at night, then roll with that one.  I'm going to go with the ***actual*** definition of the term

with love,

furby

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:29:51 PM by furburger »
-------------

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »
This thread was headed the wrong direction from the get-go...

Tapers don't "release" shows...we share or trade them.

Artists release albums/shows/work.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:13:39 PM by Life In Rewind »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com