Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Van den Hul introduces 2.9 mm balanced cable -"The Orchid" (Tunnel Technology)  (Read 17161 times)

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi Jason,
It's just an experiment to see if there's an audible difference between firewire and s/pdif.  We honestly don't know, but want to find out for ourselves.   I've got a file transferred via firewire on my laptop.  We're looking forward to listening to both transfers.  I'd be happy to make them available to anyone interested.  We've got two Wilco shows to experiment with and Panic's coming up next week as well.

Thanks for checking it out,
Chris

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Hi Jason,
It's just an experiment to see if there's an audible difference between firewire and s/pdif.  We honestly don't know, but want to find out for ourselves.   I've got a file transferred via firewire on my laptop.  We're looking forward to listening to both transfers.  I'd be happy to make them available to anyone interested.  We've got two Wilco shows to experiment with and Panic's coming up next week as well.

Chris

Chris,
thanks for responding to me.  I don't really mean to make a big deal out of this, but I'm still wondering.  assuming you agree that the firewire copy is an exact copy of the file on the 722, then it's true that any possible difference would be inaccuracies in the S/PDIF data stream.  ok, that's fine.  just testing the accuracy and the reliability of the S/PDIF output, I can see that as worthwhile.  but instead of a listening test as to whether or not you can hear any differences, wouldn't it be better and more precise to just trim both files (the one transferred via S/PDIF and the one transferred via firewire) to start and end at the exact same point, and then compare wav files.  there are numerous ways to do it.  you could create an .md5 file for each .wav, you could invert one file and then mix together.  if they are identical, that would yield an absolutely flat line.  and I think even EAC has a "wav compare" feature.  Don't you think this would be the best way to compare the two files?
- Jason

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Hi Jason,

Chris

Chris,
thanks for responding to me.  I don't really mean to make a big deal out of this, but I'm still wondering.  assuming you agree that the firewire copy is an exact copy of the file on the 722, then it's true that any possible difference would be inaccuracies in the S/PDIF data stream.  ok, that's fine.  just testing the accuracy and the reliability of the S/PDIF output, I can see that as worthwhile.  but instead of a listening test as to whether or not you can hear any differences, wouldn't it be better and more precise to just trim both files (the one transferred via S/PDIF and the one transferred via firewire) to start and end at the exact same point, and then compare wav files.  there are numerous ways to do it.  you could create an .md5 file for each .wav, you could invert one file and then mix together.  if they are identical, that would yield an absolutely flat line.  and I think even EAC has a "wav compare" feature.  Don't you think this would be the best way to compare the two files?
- Jason
+t
Socks are overrated.

cshepherd

Hi Jason,

Chris

Chris,
- Jason

Jason,
We're not making the assumption that firewire is a flawless transfer platform.  We're trying to find out if one sounds better than the other, not just documenting differences between the platforms.   This may seem like reinventing the wheel, but we want to hear for ourselves.

Chris

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
Jason,
We're not making the assumption that firewire is a flawless transfer platform.  We're trying to find out if one sounds better than the other, not just documenting differences between the platforms.   This may seem like reinventing the wheel, but we want to hear for ourselves.

Chris

oh, ok.  I thought it was a safe assumption that firewire is a flawless transfer platform.  surely there are other, more critical applications (non-audio related) that make use of firewire where the a an exact digital copy of a file is essential.  on the other hand, I do understand wanting to compare and hear and differences for yourself.

to get back on topic, thanks again for posting these samples.  and I'm looking forward to hearing more shows recorded with the "orchid" cables.  at some point in the future, I'll probably be interested in upgrading my canare star-quads :)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)

Jason,

Chris

md5 is your friend

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings

Jason,

Chris

md5 is your friend

yeah, i make an md5 on the 722 before transfer w/ md5summer, then once transferred i verify the md5 in md5summer, believe it or not, ive had to re-transfer a few files, so EVERYONE should be doing that method IMO, as always YMMV
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

cshepherd

Re: Van den Hul introduces 2.9 mm balanced cable -"The Orchid" (Tunnel Technolog
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 04:25:24 PM »
There's a nice conversation on Audigone between some Eugene Hi-Fi customers about van den Hul's rca and xlr cables.  Particularly The Orchid, The Second, The Mainsstream a/c and Mainsserver a/c cables.

Chris

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?rcabl&1148248312&read&3&zzlBblilikoi&& 

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: Van den Hul introduces 2.9 mm balanced cable -"The Orchid" (Tunnel Technolog
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 05:19:44 PM »
Hi Jason,

Chris

Chris,
- Jason

Jason,

Chris
you don't need to make an assumption that firewire is flawless. it's a fact.  if the firewire wasn't perfect files transferred throught it would be corrupt.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »

Jason,

Chris

md5 is your friend

yeah, i make an md5 on the 722 before transfer w/ md5summer, then once transferred i verify the md5 in md5summer, believe it or not, ive had to re-transfer a few files, so EVERYONE should be doing that method IMO, as always YMMV

How are you doing this, Bean?  Walk a brother through it please.  Thanks.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings

Jason,

Chris

md5 is your friend

How are you doing this, Bean?  Walk a brother through it please.  Thanks.

just open md5summer, then find the 722 HD under 'my computer'

pick the wav/s you want to make an md5 for, i make one md5 per file, or per set

once md5 summer makes trhe md5 file, just copy to your destination, then verify md5 in md5summer :)

DONE ;D

and if you dont have firmware version 1.79 beta, grab it, firewire speeds are 2x as fast as version 1.74, although 1.74 is a verified rock solid firmware

at moedown i got hosed on one set, not sure it was from version 1.79 or user error, i sent SD a detailed email regarding the issue tho

have fun w/ your new toy, its gonna sound so good on its own, youre gonna sell the v3, and maybe buy a v2 since the 722's AD is much superior to the v3's ADC IMHO

if you EVER have questions about the 722, just shoot me a PM 8) :smoking:

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
oh and +T for joining team 722, we have the phatest all-in-one for under 10k ;D the 722 is by far the nicest pro gear iver ever had the fortune to run/own, you gonna LOVE ETTTTTTT

so when did ya get it in yer hands ??? did ya score that demo for 2k ??? if so, great deal bro, i wouldnt sell mine used for under 2200 ;D

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 08:43:11 PM »
you don't need to make an assumption that firewire is flawless. it's a fact.  if the firewire wasn't perfect files transferred throught it would be corrupt.

Over a firewire link, file transfers are performed using asynchronous mode which does provide error correction.  However, when streaming audio or video in isochronous mode there is no error correction.   So it's entirely possible to have bit errors. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 08:48:29 PM »
dont use a 722, but i do use hd recorders, and the md5 is the true test if you got it exactly copied - i have had transfers fail, too - and it was the md5 that showed me...

i make an md5 of the file on the recorder, and then use that md5 sig to test the one that is copied to the harddrive...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 09:26:13 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 09:14:23 PM »
just open md5summer, then find the 722 HD under 'my computer'

pick the wav/s you want to make an md5 for, i make one md5 per file, or per set

once md5 summer makes trhe md5 file, just copy to your destination, then verify md5 in md5summer :)

DONE ;D

and if you dont have firmware version 1.79 beta, grab it, firewire speeds are 2x as fast as version 1.74, although 1.74 is a verified rock solid firmware

at moedown i got hosed on one set, not sure it was from version 1.79 or user error, i sent SD a detailed email regarding the issue tho

have fun w/ your new toy, its gonna sound so good on its own, youre gonna sell the v3, and maybe buy a v2 since the 722's AD is much superior to the v3's ADC IMHO

if you EVER have questions about the 722, just shoot me a PM 8) :smoking:

Sweet.  Thanks, Bean.  I never would have thought about doing this, but it's a nice safeguard.  +T

oh and +T for joining team 722, we have the phatest all-in-one for under 10k ;D the 722 is by far the nicest pro gear iver ever had the fortune to run/own, you gonna LOVE ETTTTTTT

so when did ya get it in yer hands ??? did ya score that demo for 2k ??? if so, great deal bro, i wouldnt sell mine used for under 2200 ;D

I got it about a week ago.  It's the demo unit that Jason posted about.  It was a long wait, but well worth it.  It's a sweet little box for sure, and it's got tons of features. 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com