Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM  (Read 99523 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
Line - Mic and line to separate files (level 1 to 100)

At the price point, this is a HUGE selling point to me.  Clock-synced mic and line recordings to mix in post from a $200 recorder is awesome...

Offline Will_S

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 12:21:54 PM »
Some first impressions on my DR2D:

I was mainly interested in this unit for the dual recording function, in particular the "line" mode where it can write separate stereo files from the mic and line inputs.  There's also a safe mode where you can record the mic input at two sets of levels to guard against clipping which could come in handy in some situations.

The line mode dual recording works pretty much as expected based on the manual.  Somewhat unfortunately, that means you CANNOT adjust levels on the line input while recording in dual mode.  You can use the Dual button to toggle the level display between the mic and line inputs, but any level adjustments you make affect the mic input and only the mic input even if the line input is selected on the level meter display.  This probably isn't a deal killer as line input of 100 on the DR2D seems to match up with 8-9 on the line in of my Edirol R09, which was generally what I used for most board feeds if not a setting just a bit higher - so except for boards with a really hot output (where I'd probably prefer external attenuation than relying on the deck) you'd probably just set the line input to 100 and forget about it and have a recording that peaks in the -12 to -3 dB neighborhood.  (I wasn't able to directly test how much the DR2D could attenuate a line signal before distorting, since nothing I own puts out an input hot enough to peg the line in at 100.)

Also of note: I measured the mic plug in power at 2.3V running off NiMH batteries.

Audio quality:  For now I'll just post samples, without comments to see what other folks hear without projecting my biases.  First a line in comparison with my old Edirol R09.  I hooked both recorders up to the line outputs of my DVD player and recorded a few tracks off the Waybacks' Pasture to the Future CD.  I know it's a little silly to make a 24bit recording of a 16bit CD, but not as silly as the situations most of us use 24 bit recording in the field, so why not? The DR2d was set to 100 on the line input, the R09 to 9 on line input, and both got peaks in the -3dB neighborhood.  I peak normalized both to -0.11dB in post using Sound Studio. 

DRD2 sample:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/TascamTests/DR2Dsample.flac
R09 sample:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/TascamTests/R09sample.flac

Ultimately, I'm hoping to use this recorder for matrices in the field, taking a line input from the soundboard and mics via the mic in.  Preferrably phantom powered mics through a preamp, so I wondered how well the mic input would handle a relatively hot input.  For now, I used a recording played back on my FR2LE through it's line outputs into the DR2D's mic input (low sensitvity), adjusting the FR2LE's outputs so that I got the peaks I wanted at various settings on the DRD2.

Running the DRD2 wide open required turning the FR2LE down about half way:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/TascamTests/TascamMicIn100.flac

Was able to turn the FR2LE up a bit and get good levels at 80 on the DR2D without obvious distortion:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/TascamTests/TascamMicIn80.flac

Running wide open on the FR2LE required turning the DR2D down to ~60, and the behavior of the level meters made it obvious it was brickwalling:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/TascamTests/TascamMicIn60.flac

However the FR2LE may be at least partially to blame since it also had some distortion (albeit less) as recorded by the line input of the R09 at 9, usually a safe setting:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/TascamTests/R09takingFR2LEfullBlast.flac

I've certainly noticed that I cannot listen to headphones at max volume on the FR2LE without them distorting.

Battery tests are now in progress, using 2000mah Duracell pre-charged rechargeables (the sort that are supposed to hold a charge for months) - not the most powerful solution, but the one I find most convenient and a good conservative test.  These particular batteries have been sitting around for a few weeks, and were not used in the earlier testing, thus they should be "fresh" save for the effects of sitting around.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »
Somewhat unfortunately, that means you CANNOT adjust levels on the line input while recording in dual mode. 

Wouldn't this problem be pretty much eliminated if you were using a ST-9100 to feed the line in, as a number of us would be doing? You could attenuate as much as necessary and boost up to 20 db with the ST-9100.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Will_S

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 12:39:14 PM »
I think most folks who'd use the line in for DUAL MODE recording would be using the line in for a soundboard feed (while feeding mics, perhaps via  preamp, into the mic in), not for mics through a 9100.  If you are only recoding from the line in, you can adjust levels while recording just fine.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 12:45:39 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, since I have never been interested in doing sound boards (although it does sound interesting as part of a dual recording to be blended later).

But wouldn't it be possible to run the sound board feed through the a ST-9100 and use the attenuation feature to keep the recording from overloading. There could be a problem with the ST-9100's plug in power not being switchable, but I ran battery box into a DAT's mic input many times without a problem.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Will_S

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
Perhaps, but if you run the 9100 to control the soundboard input levels, you no longer have the pre for your mics.  They might do fine straight into the mic in, but might not (only 2.3V).

Again, for most boards you won't need to fiddle with the line input levels, but it is a drawback of the recorder that the dual mode gives you no on-the-fly control over the second input.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 12:57:51 PM »
You can adjust the levels on the Line In?  You couldn't do that on the DR-1.  Huge upgrade on Tascam's part, IMO.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 01:18:34 PM »
You can adjust the levels on the Line In?  You couldn't do that on the DR-1.  Huge upgrade on Tascam's part, IMO.

Yes, but it appears to only be attenuation, no gain, and I'm not sure whether it's useful attenuation or just recording a clipped waveform at a lower level - as mentioned in the first post I don't have anything that will peg it at 100.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 02:06:46 PM »
if you run the 9100 to control the soundboard input levels, you no longer have the pre for your mics.  They might do fine straight into the mic in, but might not (only 2.3V).

Although you can do it if the source is very quiet, most of us wouldn't be running a ST-9100 into mic in anyway. If you also have a battery box on hand, as many of us do, that problem is solved.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »
Battery test results (using 2000 mah pre-charged rechargeables):

So I set the DR2D up to record (24/44.1) in dual/line mode, taking signal from an AT822 through the mic in (plug in power off) and from my DVD player through the line in.  It recorded for 4 hours and 17 minutes straight until the card was full.  It then sat (powered on) for a few minutes until I noticed the card was full, I powered it down long enough to pull out the card and transfer the files to my computer, then turned it back on to do a quick format of the card, which then let me record for all of ten more minutes before I got the low battery warning.

Now, here's something slightly unusual...it automatically stops at the low battery warning, saving your file but not continuing to record.  But it stays powered on making you think you might be able to squeeze out a little more recording time, but no, it will record just a few seconds before stopping again with a low battery warning.

So about 4.5 hours of dual recording off 2000 mah batteries, not too shabby but not competitive with some other hand-held options.  But since none of them can record two stereo files from two separate inputs...forgivable in my book.

Also of note:  The auto-split at 2GB sounds seamless.

And also a size comparison with the R09:  The Tascam is a bit longer and wider, but although the picture doesn't make it obvious the Edirol is a bit thicker.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 04:33:58 PM »
Running wide open on the FR2LE required turning the DR2D down to ~60, and the behavior of the level meters made it obvious it was brickwalling:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/TascamTests/TascamMicIn60.flac

However the FR2LE may be at least partially to blame since it also had some distortion (albeit less) as recorded by the line input of the R09 at 9, usually a safe setting:
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/TascamTests/R09takingFR2LEfullBlast.flac

Hmm, so going DVD line out > Tascam DR2D mic in (low) required ~70 to get the levels below full scale, and the resulting file was not obviously brickwalled.

Offline MikeMannZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »
thanks for all the great feedback.  Any comments on it's on board mics or mic inputs in relation to the noise floor.

Offline trainspotter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »
Thank you for the information. What would you reckon about the build quality? And have you tried testing battery time not using dual recording?

Thanks.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »
Hmm.  Build quality is about what you'd expect for the price.  Plasticky, but not fragile feeling.  I don't particularly like that the battery door completely detaches from the body, and the cover for the SD card slot is not very good either - a rubber rectangle you pry off that is tethered to the body by a short length of rubber.  Seems like it could easily wear out if you swapped the card out every time you transferred files rather than using a USB cable.

Might do some more battery testing this weekend, not using dual record and/or higher capacity NiMHs.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »
so let me get this straight...this will record line in and mic in at the same time.    so is this some type of new 4 channel recorder?

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com