Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ua5 output question  (Read 8915 times)

Offline jewgrass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Let's hear it for my band, Sexual Chocolate!
    • My concert pics
ua5 output question
« on: May 15, 2003, 05:24:48 PM »
Does the ua5 (digi-mod) output to usb, optical, and s/pdif simultaneously?  I've used the optical and usb, but never at the same time.   Has anyone done this?

I remember you said something to me Craig, that your ua5's couldn't do it.  Is that because they didn't have the digi-mod, only the preamp mod?

-John
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 05:25:12 PM by jewgrass »
"There's really only 3 kinds of beer in the world.  Warm beer.  Cold beer.  And NO beer."

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
Re:ua5 output question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 05:32:12 PM »
hopefully i'll have mine tonight so if nobody anwsers before then i can try it out and let u know!

peace,
justin
save

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 08:06:03 PM »
Mine outputs all three at once, but NOT analog out.  So all digital outs are active, but no analog outs.  I used to run my NJB3 as "backup" when recording onto a laptop, and I've given patches to DATs simultaneously.

Analog outs do not work on my unit.  Analog in does, tho.

I have the warm mod, which includes the digi mod...

Hope that helps!!

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 08:18:31 PM »
Mine outputs all three at once, but NOT analog out.  So all digital outs are active, but no analog outs.  I used to run my NJB3 as "backup" when recording onto a laptop, and I've given patches to DATs simultaneously.

Analog outs do not work on my unit.  Analog in does, tho.

I have the warm mod, which includes the digi mod...

Hope that helps!!

Hmmm..on Friday night I was running optical out and giving a guy a patch on the RCAs.  I've got the wmod UA-5.

-Kevin

Offline jewgrass

• Taperssection Regular
    • My concert pics
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 08:39:36 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm not too worried about the analog outs, I was thinking of trying some recording with my girlfriends new laptop and still have the jb3 running as a backup.  
"There's really only 3 kinds of beer in the world.  Warm beer.  Cold beer.  And NO beer."

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 09:43:23 PM »
That's exactly what I did jewgrass.  Do it for a show or so, get used to it, and then switch to 24/96 ASAP (you can't run your JB3 as backup at 24/96).  The UA5 sounds much better at 24/96

Bizarre, Kevin.  I should ask Oade about that...  I know for a fact mine will not work, because I wondered if I could use my UA5 as a preamp front end, and couldn't get it to work...

Do you have a laptop?  I'd be interested to hear if your playback laptop > USB > UA5 analog out worked.  Mine for certain does not,  which is correct according to Oade.

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 09:58:50 PM »
From Oade:

The second mod adds an analog input rebuild to the first mod. This replaces the input capacitors, which are SMD electrolytic ( higher distortion and noise) with SMD film caps ( lower distortion and noise) as well as the input Op Amps. We use very high grade, very low noise Op Amps for this, chosen by ear for a natural and pleasing sound. This mods gives the UA5 a warmer sound, with better depth and high frequency character. This mod disables the 1/4" inputs on the front panel, leaving the RCA inputs on the rear panel intact.

Doesn't say anything about any output being disabled.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 10:02:22 PM »
It's the digi mod that kills the analog out from laptop:

The first mod enables the digital coax and optical outputs for stand alone operation without a computer. It can also be used with a computer to output data simultaneously to a both coax and optical digital connectors, in addition to your computer ! The mod disables the digital output from a computer to the UA5 via the USB port, so you cannot send data from the computer to the UA5 on the USB buss. This does not affect your ability to record with it, only your ability to send data from your hard drive to the UA5 via USB.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 10:16:59 PM »
It's the digi mod that kills the analog out from laptop:

The first mod enables the digital coax and optical outputs for stand alone operation without a computer. It can also be used with a computer to output data simultaneously to a both coax and optical digital connectors, in addition to your computer ! The mod disables the digital output from a computer to the UA5 via the USB port, so you cannot send data from the computer to the UA5 on the USB buss. This does not affect your ability to record with it, only your ability to send data from your hard drive to the UA5 via USB.

To my reading, this does not mention disabling the analog outs, only the ability to send data from the laptop to the UA5 via USB.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 10:20:50 PM »
I completely agree.  All I'm saying is on MINE it doesn't work!

Sounds like I have an issue, tho I have no reason to use the analog outs except for patchers...

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 10:40:17 AM »
Does the ua5 (digi-mod) output to usb, optical, and s/pdif simultaneously?  
I remember you said something to me Craig, that your ua5's couldn't do it.  Is that because they didn't have the digi-mod, only the preamp mod?
-John

Mine has the "warm" preamp mod, but not the "standalone digi-mod".  I can't use mine without a laptop.

With the digi-mod (which I believe is included with all the wmod & pmod's these days), all three digi-outs are active (spdif/rca, toslink optical, usb).  I don't know about the analog rca outs.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline BlugrassBri

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 11:04:11 AM »
I completely agree.  All I'm saying is on MINE it doesn't work!

Sounds like I have an issue, tho I have no reason to use the analog outs except for patchers...
:-[

No issue...BUT
Make sure you have the 'monitor' or 'output' knobs turned up..I can't remember which one does it....should work fine...I've done it numerous times:)
AKG se300/91/93 > mk93/h98 > UA-5 > D8

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 11:09:29 AM »
Hmmmn, I'll have to check that to make sure, next time someone asks to patch :)

Offline jewgrass

• Taperssection Regular
    • My concert pics
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 11:51:14 AM »
I tried it last night and it works like a charm giving all 3 digi-outs at the same time.    Next up, 24-bit!

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 11:52:13 AM »
You'll love 24/96.  24/48 is pretty good, but the UA5 doesn't shine until you go full 24/96.  Just do it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.266 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com