Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR 40 EXTERNAL MICS - NEWBIE HELP PLEASE  (Read 4232 times)

Offline caitjim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
TASCAM DR 40 EXTERNAL MICS - NEWBIE HELP PLEASE
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
Hi

First off - I'm completely new to all this. I used to record shows on cassette back in 70's and 80s but not since then.

Ive got a Tascam DR 40  and am very impressed with it but want to get a set of mics for stealth recording concerts. Reading all the threads I've gotten completely confused about what I need to get - battery boxes, pre amps etc too complicated.

Can some kind soul recommend a set of cardioid mics that will significantly improve the sound quality of my recordings. Ideally something that just plugs in and works. Got about £150 to spend and would prefer to get from UK if poss to save hassle with extra charges and customs.

In advance - thank you very much.

Offline heva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular

Offline caitjim

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: TASCAM DR 40 EXTERNAL MICS - NEWBIE HELP PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »
Hi

thanks very much for your reply.

Ill look into this, just need to check on dimensions as don't want it too large. I'm also told the tascam needs balanced mics. Ive no idea what this means - are these mics balanced?

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

Offline caitjim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
heva - just checked out the dimensions, very big for stealth recording but thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking. Im ideally after something the size of Churchaudio Ca 14s. Ta.

Offline heva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »
Aha, stealth.
This then?

https://store.lom.audio/collections/microphones-accessories/products/mikrousi-pro

No experience with these though.

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 03:28:03 PM »
The DR-40 is not a great stealth recorder, it’s bulky and lacks a 1/8” port. I imagine full size XLRs are difficult for stealthing.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
Aha, stealth.
This then?

https://store.lom.audio/collections/microphones-accessories/products/mikrousi-pro

No experience with these though.

Heva, Ycoop would like to have cards. These are omni. It looks like these mics are made from a Primo EM172 capsule. I am using these capsules for recording lectures. Their advantage is that you can place the microphones where you need and are unobtrusive. I think there is not a big difference in quality compared to internal microphones. I would not use them for recording music. I think people are using them for ambience taping.
What's interesting is their phantom adapter. This could work with Chris Church microphones. For AT lavalier microphones, it is better to buy an original phantom adapter.  (It looks like the producer is from Slovakia. It is nice, Slovakia is our neighbor.)

I would advise you to buy Chris Church or AT lavalier mics. Chris Church mics are designed to be powered via 9V battery. Then you will need reduction form stereo jack to two XLRs. Or you can try the phantom adapter from the manufacturer Heva refers to. But I cannot promise for sure that this phantom adapter will work with CA mics.

If you decide for AT mics, you can power them via original phantom adapter or 9V battery box. If you are taping loud amplified music AT mics need modification when powered by 9V battery box. You can find more information about this modification - look for 4.7mod in the forum.

Here are a lot of posts about these mics. You can find a lot of examples how these mics sounds on Live Music Archive. Look to yard sell here too.

I'm also told the tascam needs balanced mics. Ive no idea what this means - are these mics balanced?

Do not worry about balanced and unbalanced connection. Balanced input means you can do both balanced or unbalanced connection. Most of lavalier mics have unbalanced output so you will have unbalanced connection. When using short cables to the microphones, nothing happens when there is an unbalanced connection.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:51:39 PM by kuba e »

Offline caitjim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:34:48 AM »
Heva, ycoop & kuba e

Thanks again for your time and replies.

Tascam DR40 is bulky, but getting it in isn't a prob. Having it sitting out recording might be thats why I'm after small external mics (cardioid).

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about mics thats why I'm after (and appreciate) your help. Thanks again.

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
Heva, ycoop & kuba e

Thanks again for your time and replies.

Tascam DR40 is bulky, but getting it in isn't a prob. Having it sitting out recording might be thats why I'm after small external mics (cardioid).

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about mics thats why I'm after (and appreciate) your help. Thanks again.

Church Audio microphones are excellent and have clips that make them easy to attach to many things. He has a website and also a Facebook page. Many people start out using these microphones when they start using external mics (which is going to really make a difference in sound quality). There are going to be people who will tell you that he is very slow in making the microphone (he makes each one to order) and there are going to be people saying the opposite. He has been making these for more than 10 years and so there are a lot of used CA mics out there — checking the Yard Sale is a good option. I am not sure about using these particular mics with your particular recorder.

Another typical starter set of externals are the Audio-technica AT 853 microphones. These are very sturdy, very hardy, and have replaceable capsules which allow different amounts of sound from the sides of the microphone to enter the recording. Again, these will show up in the Yard Sale on an almost weekly basis. They are terminated in a mini-XLR which can be easily adapted to a full size XLR. There are battery boxes made by AT which power these and also there are power adapters which allow you to use phantom power and plug into regular XLR slots.

Good luck and keep taping. Keep experimenting and learning. Recording music means that the music is preserved. Preserving culture is an honorable activity.

You can learn an incredible amount about recording just by reading posts on taperssection.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:23:04 PM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline caitjim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 02:43:27 PM »
relevant - thank you for a very detailed reply, much appreciated. I'll have a look at what you've suggested.
http://taperssection.com/Smileys/throwback/cheers.gif

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 03:01:37 PM »
The DR-40 inputs are 1/4" TRS/XLR combo. So a simple cable would get you from 1/4" to 1/8" if you go with something like CA mics.

You could consider a smaller XLR mic that takes phantom for stealthing. I picked up a pair of CAD C9s for under $50 shipped a while back:

https://www.mightymics.com/collections/condenser/products/cad-c9-cardioid-condenser-stereo-instrument-mics-1

I don't really stealth anymore, but I got the best results getting as close as possible to the PA and using omnis. YMMV.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline caitjim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
hoppedup - that looks very interesting. Would you say you got noticeably better sound with these mics as opposed to the inbuilt mics? Some reviews describe them as tinny. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

PS cant listen to your recordings as both are asking me for passwords.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:15:29 AM by caitjim »

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »
They are my fourth set of mics. I have only used them as back-ups. I have no recordings posted with them as the AKGs always sound better. I bought them after listening to a few recordings on archive. I may eventually use them for a permanent install at a local venue.

I dug the sound on these CAD C9 recordings:

https://archive.org/details/hexbelt2017-10-28
https://archive.org/details/hexbelt2017-03-11

They are within your budget and wouldn't require separate powering. I haven't used the internals on my DR-40, so I have no experience there.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline caitjim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
hopped - thanks again. Very impressed with the recordings. I'll have a serious look at these. Found them for $29 but might try and get from UK or Europe first. Thanks again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com