Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Powering a laptop  (Read 4079 times)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Powering a laptop
« on: June 20, 2004, 10:50:31 AM »
Ok, a little confused here. I have a new Gateway Laptop, says is runs on 19v DV in, but the battery it runs on shows 11.1 volts 3800 aHm. I think this battery will work?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=172 4000ahm, 10-12 volts..should work correct?

It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Powering a laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 11:04:07 AM »
my picturebook a/c adapter is 16v, but the battery is also 11.1v like yours

when i run that pack into the a/c input, i HAVE to have my stock battery in the laptop for it to even work. so when i run that pack into the a/c input it is actually only charging the stock battery

and that doesnt really have enough current to put a charge to my stock battery while i was running it. just prolonged the life a little i guess

if your lappy will run without its stock/internal battery it should work ok...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 11:14:50 AM »
I see, internal batteries operate at one voltage, the AC input operates at a different voltage, so going in the ac port with a power back will require 19 volts for it to work with out the internal battery? correct?
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 11:55:05 AM »
In Tyler we Trust

Offline jk labs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 12:39:02 PM »

I see, internal batteries operate at one voltage, the AC input operates at a different voltage, so going in the ac port with a power back will require 19 volts for it to work with out the internal battery? correct?

Observe that the internal battery voltage stated is the _nominal_ battery voltage. At the end of a charge cycle the voltage on the internal rechargeable battery will be significantly higher than the nominal value.

In addition, the laptop needs a few additional volts on the external supply to overcome cable losses, reverse voltage protection devices, fuses, charge current measuring devices, voltage monitoring devices etc.

All this to secure a rapid charging of the internal battery.

I.e, just what a given "19 Volts" laptop is willing to provide of useful services when fed a meager 12 VDC on the external power port, I somehow doubt can be inferred from the technical spec sheet alone :-).

Jon

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 01:04:44 PM »
I don't know jack about power and batteries, wish that I did....they do sell a 19.2 volt battery pack, that one might work better I would say.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 01:37:05 PM »
im not sure how your specific laptop will work without the internal

mine requires the actual stock battery to be used to even turn on and operate, even when using the wall wart

i would think that other link you posted would be great, it would help charge your internal to give you significantly longer runtime...

your laptop might operate without the actual battery in it though, but i know mine will not

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 02:09:24 PM »
tried it, works on ac with out the battery
In Tyler we Trust

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 04:54:33 PM »
Just grabbed a 2nd N-Charge off ebay. I was supposed to have before Bonnaroo but the guy screwed up the shipping. I am glad I got the f-ing thing just need a festival to use them :)

My point to this post is keep your eyes on ebay. the Valence N-Charge batteries have been popping up for at least 100+ of retail. The new N-Charge series is supposed to be sold by Best Buy.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 01:49:11 AM »
Just grabbed a 2nd N-Charge off ebay. I was supposed to have before Bonnaroo but the guy screwed up the shipping. I am glad I got the f-ing thing just need a festival to use them :)

My point to this post is keep your eyes on ebay. the Valence N-Charge batteries have been popping up for at least 100+ of retail. The new N-Charge series is supposed to be sold by Best Buy.

i saw one of those the other week, pretty expensive the store from what i remember, i need to find a cheapportable battery for my toshiba, im thinking about goin 24 bit with my mme
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 02:03:33 PM »
Also watch ebay for Electrovaya Power Pads.  These LiION batteries run longer than the N-charge (especially the 120 and 160 models).  They can be had for 150-200$ on ebay.  I swear by mine. ;D
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 04:36:22 PM »

just realized that should read -100 off retail on ebay
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 12:41:17 AM »
i just got the 19 volt universal battery from batteryspace today and im testing out how long the
run time is on my toshiba, thank god one of the plugs fit, i think im gonna pick up another and i
wont have to worry about power at the show.  thanks for the link creekfreak, +T, i would have never
found it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:46:04 AM by C.Clark »
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com