Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 6.1 via digital?  (Read 3495 times)

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
6.1 via digital?
« on: October 05, 2004, 11:19:54 AM »
Is ist possible? I have a Samsung DVD-HD841 dvd player connected to my marantz sr6300.  both components are 6.1 capable but it is my understanding that 6.1 can be only passed via analog cables.

Questions....
1. Is there a hack to pass it via digital?
2. what would happen if i just connect a 6th speaker when the dvd is connected to the amp via coax
3. what is a cheaper alternative to the over priced sacd/thx  monster cable at best buy.
4. can both be used? ie if i go 6.1 will the coax be over ridden  (probably selectable)
the show is over go home please.

jpschust

Re: 6.1 via digital?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 11:38:27 AM »
from what i understand you have to use analog cables to pass it through.  i don't like the monster cable all that much- it's ok, just not all that great.  you can always build your own cable, that is certainly cheaper. 

i dont understand your second question.

for your final question you generally have to choose one or the other, cant have both.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 04:02:22 PM »
from what i understand you have to use analog cables to pass it through.  i don't like the monster cable all that much- it's ok, just not all that great.  you can always build your own cable, that is certainly cheaper. 

i dont understand your second question.

for your final question you generally have to choose one or the other, cant have both.

2nd question refrase
I am currently running 5.1 while using a a coax cable. if i hook up a 6th speaker (rear center) will a signal go to it? Im assuming no

I knew both cant be used at the same time, I ment if you hook up both analog and digi cables is is switchable between the 2.

finally is the 6th channel worth it?

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 04:23:42 PM »
i like 6.1, but is it worth it is another question entirely.  i dont know, depends how your system is and how big the room is.  my current room isnt big enough to support it, not to mention not all that much stuff is mixed in 6.1.  Most stuff is 5.1 or 7.1.

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 05:31:20 PM »
I run a pioneer receiver which has DTS-ES capability and have 6 speakers wired up to the system.  Hooked up via coax digital which seems to pass a 6.1 signal with no problem at all.  Just checked the wiring and indeed there is only one cable connected between the two.  Lord of the Rings would be the easiest example that I can think of that worked, had to switch the audio on the disc to DTS-ES and presto!  The receiver will only light up DTS-ES if it is being fed the proper signal and the center rear speaker does indeed work.  No idea about other formats other than DTS-ES, but it seems that as long as the receiver has the decoder built in, then it should work.  DVD audio or other formats that a given receiver does not have an onboard decoder for will have to be connected via analog ins on the back. 

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 05:27:51 AM »
I run a pioneer receiver which has DTS-ES capability and have 6 speakers wired up to the system.  Hooked up via coax digital which seems to pass a 6.1 signal with no problem at all.  Just checked the wiring and indeed there is only one cable connected between the two.  Lord of the Rings would be the easiest example that I can think of that worked, had to switch the audio on the disc to DTS-ES and presto!  The receiver will only light up DTS-ES if it is being fed the proper signal and the center rear speaker does indeed work.  No idea about other formats other than DTS-ES, but it seems that as long as the receiver has the decoder built in, then it should work.  DVD audio or other formats that a given receiver does not have an onboard decoder for will have to be connected via analog ins on the back. 

mines the same way and the 6.1 works perfectly.

i've also yet to see anything in 7.1

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 06:21:17 PM »
well then Ill just have to hook up that 6th speaker tonight thanks guys

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 01:43:03 AM »
yeah, i don't see why it'd work with digital.  my dvd player is a samsung too, forgot the model number.  i run optical into my onkyo receiver and everything that i've seen that is 6.1 dts es has always worked properly.  also i have an encoder in my receiver that will enhance 5.1 to 6.1 dts, i don't really know if this improves anything tho, i usually don't mess with that feature and let it decide based on what the movie should be.

anyway, good luck.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 09:14:36 AM »
ok so im sitting at home last night, totally exhausted and attempting to hook my system back up (note that to do that is a 4-6 hr process by the time everything is tuned and reset and up on walker points)

i'm an idiot, of course you can run 6.1 digitally.  if you can run 7.1 digitally there is no reason you can't just run one less channel.  *smack to me*

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 04:49:20 PM »
It works!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com