Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What does a pre amp do if ..  (Read 3201 times)

Offline asmusu2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Steen's profile
    • Asmus U2
What does a pre amp do if ..
« on: August 31, 2006, 06:06:01 AM »
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a pre amp.

I have a sony mz nh 700 hi-md recorder and a giant squid microphone with a battery.

If I tape a very loud show, will the pre amp then ruin the recording or what does it acutally do?

Or does it just give the recording a higher volume?

Hope someone can help.

Best wishes

Steen

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What does a pre amp do if ..
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:16:50 PM »
the preamp will provide cleaner and likely more power to your mics, allowing them to handle louder SPLs without distorting
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 03:00:53 PM »
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a pre amp.

I have a sony mz nh 700 hi-md recorder and a giant squid microphone with a battery.

If I tape a very loud show, will the pre amp then ruin the recording or what does it acutally do?

Or does it just give the recording a higher volume?

Hope someone can help.

Best wishes

Steen

With those mics a preamp won't make much of a difference.

Get a battery box.  For quiet shows use MIC IN, LOW SENS.
For loud shows use LINE IN.

That's it.  The analog circuitry inside the MD is pretty good.  You'll get better sound using the LINE IN, but MIC IN is still OK sounding.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline asmusu2

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Steen's profile
    • Asmus U2
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
I have a 9 volts battery that I use in the microphone.

Is that what you mean by powersupply?

What is SPL ?

English is not my first language.

Best wishes

Steen

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »
The primary purpose of a preamp is to take the output of the microphone and get it up to line level.
Most preamps have a trim control to match the input circuit of the preamp with the mics output. That way, you can avoid overloading the input stage of the preamp.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 06:25:45 AM »
What is SPL ?
Sound Pressure Level, I assume.

English is not my first language.
Same for me.

9V is OK for a battery-box like power supply; go line in and all will be OK.

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 03:16:04 PM »
If you're getting decent recording levels with this setup, then I'd agree a preamp may not matter with those mics/power supply, however, if your levels are consistently low, a preamp will help.

Here's why:

In digital recording, each bit holds 6db of dynamic range.  A 16 bit recording device can therefore hold (theoretically) 96 db of information.  If your levels are peaking at -40, then you're really only using 10 bits out of the 16 bits available to you (96 -40 = 56... 56/6 = 9.333).  Adding gain in post will raise the overall levels, but you're not gaining any information.  A preamp will allow you to push the levels higher (say, peaking at -4 instead) meaning you are using all 16 bits and effectively capturing more dynamic range.

Hope this helps

Offline dcbullet

• Taperssection Regular
  • SF, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 11:52:32 AM »
If you're getting decent recording levels with this setup, then I'd agree a preamp may not matter with those mics/power supply, however, if your levels are consistently low, a preamp will help.

Here's why:

In digital recording, each bit holds 6db of dynamic range.  A 16 bit recording device can therefore hold (theoretically) 96 db of information.  If your levels are peaking at -40, then you're really only using 10 bits out of the 16 bits available to you (96 -40 = 56... 56/6 = 9.333).  Adding gain in post will raise the overall levels, but you're not gaining any information.  A preamp will allow you to push the levels higher (say, peaking at -4 instead) meaning you are using all 16 bits and effectively capturing more dynamic range.

Hope this helps

Wow, thanks!  That's a very helpful explanation!

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:12:16 PM »

Here's why:

Hope this helps

Wow, thanks!  That's a very helpful explanation!

no doubt! +t
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com