Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 vs. MiniMp  (Read 6540 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
V2 vs. MiniMp
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »
As mentioned in a recent post I feel like trying out some new gear.  Rite now I run: Neumann U89> V2> Minime> HD-P2.  I was thinking about picking up a Minimp to see what that sounds like in front of the Minime.  More that one person has told me they like the Minimp more than the V2.  I am wondering if anyone out there has had both a Minimp and V2 and have any feedback on the situation.  I am also wondering if anyone has run the Mp>Me combo and what they think of that.  My guess is that Apogee designed the two peaces of gear to work well with one another.  A Mp would fit in my bag just fine it.  It may be nice for the apogee to have a friend.     
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: V2 vs. MiniMp
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:33:05 PM »
I have owned neither (owned a mme and about to own another) but have played with v2's and v3's on various occasions and with various mics as well as the mmp.  The mmp is so real, lifelike, 3d sounding.  Much prefer it.

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »
"Real, lifelike, and 3d" 

I like the sound of that. 
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

stirinthesauce

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 10:40:30 PM »
"Real, lifelike, and 3d" 

I like the sound of that. 

so did I when I had the pleasure to play with one  ;D

Of course, I'm biased as I love the apogee sound.  Been away for almost a year and been missing it ever since.  Finally getting back to it.

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »
I've owned a V2, V3 and MiniMP. The MiniMP does sound great (altho ultimately I prefer the sound of the Grace units), but imo the level knobs are not ideal for live recording - too small, too much range, and hard to adjust in a live taping situation, especially if you've set them a little high to start and need to bring them down during a show. I much prefer the 5 dB steps on the Grace and the better resolution on the trim knobs. The form factor is a little strange too.

Steve

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »
Buttons are too small ? If they are anything like the minime, I can't say they are small by any means. Now those fostex fr2le trim knobs are small.

Too much range ? I believe it is 70-75 dB max gain, which isn't that much. Like any other piece of gear you get to know it in the field. With the MMP in front of the MME, I assume that you have your mme screw pots set to a decent level and have the mmp drive the rig, just because those screw pots are small and you need an eye glass sized screwdriver to adjust them.

I totally agree on the form factor though and that is the biggest knock on both the mmp & the mme. I've cracked open my mme and just couldn't understand why they had to make it so deep, shrug ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »
hmmm....one company's "bread winner" is it's converters.  the other company's bread winneris preamps (debatable perhaps but i think so) .

however...let your own ears decide. ;)  both companies are top notch and make great products. i've been a long time grace design user in many different realms of recording but i've liked the taper recordings i've heard with the mini-mp

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »
Buttons are too small ? If they are anything like the minime, I can't say they are small by any means. Now those fostex fr2le trim knobs are small.

Too much range ? I believe it is 70-75 dB max gain, which isn't that much. Like any other piece of gear you get to know it in the field. With the MMP in front of the MME, I assume that you have your mme screw pots set to a decent level and have the mmp drive the rig, just because those screw pots are small and you need an eye glass sized screwdriver to adjust them.

Yeah, and that 75 dB gain range is covered by a less-than-360-degree turn of a knob that's about a half-inch in diameter, with marks at 10 dB intervals, and no click-stops. Whereas the Grace has large knobs with 5 dB steps for a quick drop in levels, and trim knobs about the same size as the Apogee that cover only 10 dB, with marks at 1 dB intervals. I found it hard to set the same gain on both channels of the Apogee in my living room, much less in the field with poor lighting, bad viewing angles etc. With the Grace units I can confidently adjust gain within a half-dB or so. It's the worst gain adjustment setup of any pre I've owned, and in addition to the V2/3 and MiniMP that also includes the Sonosax and Portico. Like I said, still a great sounding pre, and I wish I could have afforded to keep it and my V3, but the poor ergonomics were certainly one of the reasons that I sold it.

Steve

Offline silentmark

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:51:04 PM »
I find that I can dial it in quite easily as I know the mme meters in combo with the MT and actual prefer the variable gain as opposed to stepped. It just something you get to "know" in the field. Plus I like the sound and I wouldn't let the ergonomics dictate that, YMMV of course ...

http://www.apogeedigital.com/images/minimp_fp_sm.jpg
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 02:12:35 PM »
same.
I like both preamps.  the V2 is more transparent, the MMP more "pleasing" and bad environment friendly.
IMO....YMMV

Offline rich

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »
I dont and never have run Neumann's...but, I have spoken with many here and elsewhere who swear that the V2/V3 is THE pre for Neumann mics.  Again, no experience but feedback from very credible sources.

Rich
sweeet beaver!

Offline silentmark

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 07:58:33 AM »
Again that is purely subjective as I am sure you can find just as 'credible' sources who will say the opposite. It has always come down to what you prefer. Myself I don't like the V2/3, high quality piece of gear but not for me.

Anyhoooooooo, hey airbladder didn't you pick a MMP ? Just curious if you have run it in front of the MME yet or not and how you liked/disliked it ?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »
I dont and never have run Neumann's...but, I have spoken with many here and elsewhere who swear that the V2/V3 is THE pre for Neumann mics.  Again, no experience but feedback from very credible sources.

Rich

i ran a v2 with 84i's and didnt care for it. so, i ouldnt be as so bold to say "THE". but ymmv
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »
speaking of MMP, I need to borrow one to test against the new m248 and see which I like.
any takers ?
:)

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »
speaking of MMP, I need to borrow one to test against the new m248 and see which I like.
any takers ?
:)

did you ever get any takers?
@rowj | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
Superlux SMK-H8K/H/U > KindKables Black Stealths > Busman T-Mod FR2LE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com