Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there any way to tag .wav files?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Is there any way to tag .wav files?
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:07:21 PM »
SSIA.  Is there any way to save information to wav files, like tagging flacs? 

I give a venue CDs from past shows and would really love to be able to have the files open in iTunes or whatever with all the correct info already on there.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: Is there any way to tag .wav files?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
You can't tag "regular" WAV files because they don't contain metadata.  BWF (Broadcast WAV) files do, but that's not going to help you here.

Writing CD-Text using a program like ImgBurn might work, but the only way to make sure something like iTunes recognzies your tracks is to upload the data yourself to Gracenote:
http://www.gracenote.com/company/faq/owner/

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:52 PM »
I would just give them tagged V0 mp3's.  they are likely just gonna convert it with itunes anyway.  so at least it'll be tagged properly.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »
I give a venue CDs from past shows and would really love to be able to have the files open in iTunes or whatever with all the correct info already on there.

Thought of burning CD-TEXT discs?

I would just give them tagged V0 mp3's.  they are likely just gonna convert it with itunes anyway.  so at least it'll be tagged properly.

This. I give groups the option and half opt for tagless CDs (cause I'm not bothering with cd-text) and the other half take V0 mp3s.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »
So - the real mystery is - why the heck does Audacity prompt for meta when exporting to wav?!!! :facepalm:

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 12:34:23 AM »
I was curious about that too, so I looked it up:

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/WAV#Metadata

Since I use FLAC, I won't be using any WAV metadata, but it's interesting reading.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 02:20:46 AM »
Cool, thanks for the input.  Will bring up the MP3 option next time.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
So - the real mystery is - why the heck does Audacity prompt for meta when exporting to wav?!!! :facepalm:
pain in the ass imo too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
pain in the ass imo too

that is an option in the Preferences menu.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline nardo

• Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:33 AM »
pain in the ass imo too

that is an option in the Preferences menu.
If you disable the metatag prompt, then it'll just add them to all the tracks, at least in my experience. If you know where to completely disable metatags in Audacity then please post how-to here.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
At that point I personally don't care as flac encoding will strip all of that out (assuming you don't explicitly retain foreign data that isn't part of the audio stream).

If you don't type anything in for the label, and you don't fill out the meta-data editor for the project, the only tags it should export are the track numbers (based on a review of their documentation, again, I strip them out when I encode to flac).

Offline nardo

• Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »
At that point I personally don't care as flac encoding will strip all of that out (assuming you don't explicitly retain foreign data that isn't part of the audio stream).

If you don't type anything in for the label, and you don't fill out the meta-data editor for the project, the only tags it should export are the track numbers (based on a review of their documentation, again, I strip them out when I encode to flac).
My problem with that is that I usually create md5 for my original wav files. They won't checkout/verify if I strip out the tags when encoding to flac. For me, it's either don't write tags at all or I'd have to encode to flac (without tags), then decode those files to wav, create md5 for those new wav files - the latter is too much of an effort to me personally.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 11:14:57 PM »
just do a ffp.  I hate md5's for that reason!  if I change the slightest thing in the tagging or text the md5's fail.  I delete them immediately for shows I download.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com