Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Live Recording EDM Club / Festival  (Read 16436 times)

Offline taynos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Live Recording EDM Club / Festival
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
I think grabbing the pair of Church cardioids in the yard sale and begging for an m10 in the yard sale section also or picking up an Edirol  r05 will by far serve you better than what you're considering. It can all be crouched pretty easily, gaff the mics to the inside of a cap.

Gotta tape this weekend. If I can locate this gear on Clist might try it. Im in LA so not impossible....i like the stealth action

Offline taynos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
The main technical concern is probably going to be the potential of overload from the heavy EDM bass. 

As long as the mics or signal chain which follows them doesn't overload while making the recording, you're better off reducing bass levels afterwards as necessary along with doing whatever other frequency correction or sweetening is needed using EQ, where you (or your audio editor friend) can do so in a controllable way. 

Getting close to a PA speaker will make for a drier and more soundboard-like recording with less room and audience in it if that's what you are after, in part because that proximity to the PA increases SPL from the PA relative to the other sounds in the room, but that increased SPL will also increase the potential of overload.  You may need to do it a few times to figure out if results from the balcony is better than on the floor directly in front of a PA speaker, and how close you can get to the PA without overloading if you find you prefer that approach.  If there are stereo panning or other stereo effects you want to preserve, then you'll need to record from a more centered position where you have a direct line of sight to both left and right PA speakers.  You'll inevitably get more room and audience sound from such a position, but the front center of the balcony is often a good spot as it has a direct line of sight to both PAs and puts distance between you and the audience below.

Good stuff. Much appreciated. Sounds like some tests in the venue and similar conditions will be fruitful

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »
The main technical concern is probably going to be the potential of overload from the heavy EDM bass. 

As long as the mics or signal chain which follows them doesn't overload while making the recording, you're better off reducing bass levels afterwards as necessary along with doing whatever other frequency correction or sweetening is needed using EQ, where you (or your audio editor friend) can do so in a controllable way. 

Getting close to a PA speaker will make for a drier and more soundboard-like recording with less room and audience in it if that's what you are after, in part because that proximity to the PA increases SPL from the PA relative to the other sounds in the room, but that increased SPL will also increase the potential of overload.  You may need to do it a few times to figure out if results from the balcony is better than on the floor directly in front of a PA speaker, and how close you can get to the PA without overloading if you find you prefer that approach.  If there are stereo panning or other stereo effects you want to preserve, then you'll need to record from a more centered position where you have a direct line of sight to both left and right PA speakers.  You'll inevitably get more room and audience sound from such a position, but the front center of the balcony is often a good spot as it has a direct line of sight to both PAs and puts distance between you and the audience below.

Good stuff. Much appreciated. Sounds like some tests in the venue and similar conditions will be fruitful
Good luck. The Shure (which I own) works and is the low-impact solution. I'd say only that recording this type of music (which I have) can be a little dodgy in general, in that (as you probably know) a rather large % of artists are playing pre-recorded music only. Not at all harshing on the genre, but I would try and do some research and see which artists actually constitute capturing a "live set" versus "pre-recorded sequencing on Ableton from a MacBook Pro."
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 09:32:35 PM »
Avalon?
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline taynos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »

Good luck. The Shure (which I own) works and is the low-impact solution. I'd say only that recording this type of music (which I have) can be a little dodgy in general, in that (as you probably know) a rather large % of artists are playing pre-recorded music only. Not at all harshing on the genre, but I   would try and do some research and see which artists actually constitute capturing a "live set" versus "pre-recorded sequencing on Ableton from a MacBook Pro."

Could not agree more on both the dodgyness of the bass heavy recording. And also agree "capturing a "live set" versus "pre-recorded sequencing on Ableton from a MacBook Pro" they pretty much all "just press play"

interesting article on some of the artists that are doing a different set every night
http://cdm.link/2012/06/deadmau5-honest-about-his-own-press-play-sets-misses-out-on-scene/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:26:32 PM by taynos »

Offline taynos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
Avalon?

it's a secret till I record it. I'm paranoid.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 08:39:47 PM »
Results?
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline johnjon94

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »
Any updates if this worked?

Offline jtopping

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
HI,
i've been messing with my Shure Mv88 for a few shows now, and have had mixed results.
I recently taped an outdoor show were there were large bass speakers giving out chest thumping bass with the kickdrum and bass guitar.
My recording seems to clip or compress with every low end note. after hearing this, i checked my settings on the Motiv app to find "Limiter" was on, and
"Compression" was set to low. I thought they were off previously, in fact this mic supposedly stores this info in the mic and not the app. so not sure what happened.

https://soundcloud.com/jeffreytopping/13-vanity

heres an audio sample. You can hear the clipping once the loud music kicks in.
my question, is this because those two settings were on? I've red lined/topped out a recording before and never got this kind of drop off in volumne.

Or is the mic simply not able to handle this kind of intense low end?

I thought my levels were low and head enough headroom... but someone told me this app is severly innacurate. 

thoughts? thanks in advance.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 11:18:36 PM »
thoughts? thanks in advance.
It's not terrible, but it does not sound quite right.

According to the manual, the system can handle 120 dB but only when set to minimum gain in "flat mode."

If you were near the sound system at a very loud show, 120 dB is not out of the question, and since you describe chest-thumping bass from large bass speakers, I can see that happening.

If the MV88 just can't take what the system is giving out, you'll have to move farther away, which will pick up additional reflected sound.

I'd say the system has some potential, but might just not be suitable for extremely loud events. Keep experimenting and please report back!

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »
What or who is an EDM?  :shrug:

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com