Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Connect DAB-tuner with my PC with optical cable  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Filharmoniker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Connect DAB-tuner with my PC with optical cable
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:33:25 AM »
Hello,
I have a DAB -tuner, which has an optical out. My computer has an optical in on the Abit Motherboard.

I have a cable to connect them. The aim is to make .wav files from the tuner. If I connect the tuner it plays back correctly on the PC, so I suppose the signal is recongnised. When I try to record it with Sound Forge, he gives a very streange signal. Instead of waves, like with any normal sound, I have 'cubical' waves, with rectangular edges...The amplitude of these 'cubes' is very small, so very less music is heared. It is possible though to recognise in some way the music, though with a very weak and deformed signal. It looks like something is wrong with the software or something: the signal is wrong captured or wrongly set from digital to analoge.
If I do the same with the normal analoge RCA connectors I have the same problem (the playback is OK though...). I remeber that on my previous PC, the analoge signal was recorded very wel bij Sound Forge. At that time I didn't had an optical connection.

Do I have to change settings in Sound Forge or are there more easy programs to wrok with, or is there a conversion program (read: free ware ;-) )to do this work? Oh yes, I only have Sound Forge v4.5  :-\ That's maybe 8 years old...

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Connect DAB-tuner with my PC with optical cable
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:17:02 AM »
You could have a look at Audacity - it's a free audio recorder/editor.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »
Maybe this might help you set your recording program:

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/articles/DAB-vs-FM-sound-quality.php

I don't know if you need to make your sound forge kbps setting the same as your DAB station.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Filharmoniker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »
powermonkey, thx a lot man!!
After maybe 15 minutes I could solve the problem. The program is easy in use. i don 't know if it's better than Sound Forge just to edit music, but for the recording it is MUCH more sophisticated. I could simply chooce between line-in, SP/DIF etc...
And... now it also works for the analoge recording. I think there was a problem with Sound Forge recording settings for that...
They also have the program in Dutch, that's crazy 8)
Again, Thx al lot all of you!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.242 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com