Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap/inexpensive A>D convertor - might be crap...  (Read 4956 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Cheap/inexpensive A>D convertor - might be crap...
« on: September 17, 2004, 03:35:06 PM »
So, I'm thinking of getting a small A>D convertor and I'd rather not pay out the wazoo for an SBM1, or anything...  I wanted something portable, easy, and stealthy...

And I found this at Sound Professionals:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E49453F49

I also found this one at Tiger Direct:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E66421F49

From the looks of the product photos, they are the same exact thing, though they actually may not be.

I was wondering if anyone had any exp. with any devices like this, if they are worth the $70...

I'm asking 'cause I'm looking to get SirChek's Giant Squids for my Nomad, and I'd like a pocket A>D between the BattBox and the JB3.

Thanks,

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Cheap/inexpensive A>D convertor - might be crap...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 06:13:24 PM »
wow - definitely the same box.  Somebody's got some fat margins going.  I say it's worth a shot for $70 but I'm not sure how well it will do with mic level signals...you're going to run into even worse gain issues than running mics>jb3.  At least the JB3 can add 12dB of analog gain before going a>d.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 08:11:15 PM »
wow - definitely the same box.  Somebody's got some fat margins going.  I say it's worth a shot for $70 but I'm not sure how well it will do with mic level signals...you're going to run into even worse gain issues than running mics>jb3.  At least the JB3 can add 12dB of analog gain before going a>d.

ok, but I'm getting the batteryboxed squids.  There are intended for line-in use to the Nomad... 

I'm not sure I wantr to spend 70 for a paperweight...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 09:39:04 PM »
I would imagine it being better than say a computer a>d but I would doubt it's $70 better than a jb3 a>d.

You could buy it, immediately run a jb3/ad-2000(or whatever it's called) comp.  Listen on your best playback and maybe even bittorent it here for more opinions.  if you can't hear a difference than return it...

Doug Oade doesn't think much of the jb3 a>d but I d/led the D100/jb3 a>d comp and I was unable to tell a difference on my slightly above average playback...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 10:54:04 PM »
LOL, that does look like the exact same unit by the picture there.   Interesting how the Tiger Direct doesn't mention anything about powering the device.   Must just be an AC adapter I assume?
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

hexyjones

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 07:10:58 AM »
Radio Shack has one for 24 bucks

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1242

I have one - used it once - sounded ok - but it has no peak light - so I'm too paranoid to use it...

I plan on taking it apart someday to see what's inside chip wise....maybe a peak light can be added...?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 12:56:12 PM »
ok, but I'm getting the batteryboxed squids.  There are intended for line-in use to the Nomad... 

I'm not sure I wantr to spend 70 for a paperweight...

Just make sure you're not confusing 'battery box' with 'preamp'.  I'm not so sure that they'll drive line level signals...maybe in extreme situations (the kind that damage your ears)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dlantelme

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 03:25:23 PM »
The Tiger link says it weighs 2 lbs. Not sure if I'd consider that a pocket AD. What does a Zefiro weigh?
CCM4>SX-M2>UA5>M1

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 03:28:22 PM »
The Tiger link says it weighs 2 lbs. Not sure if I'd consider that a pocket AD. What does a Zefiro weigh?

that weight might be shipping weight, not actual weight

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 12:40:41 PM »
How did it fail the test?  The JB3's meter are so sketchy, I wouldn't trust those things.  Got a R300 or some other way to get a level from the optical out?  Did you listen the the recording (record some music over your stereo)?  How did sound?  I bet you could mod one of those things with a better op amp.  Call it a modRS!

ANDY

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 01:50:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure of your test, it sounds like you ahve the right idea.  But I wonder how you raised the gain up to just above normal conversation - there is no gain on the A>D, and the optical-in doesn't have gain...

Or maybe, what you mean is that you had to raise the volume of your recorded source to higher than normal to get any kind of signal...

Yeah, I'm thinking that perhaps I need to get an AD20 to run an A>D between the Giant Squids battery box and the Nomad.  I've seen people use this in conjunction with other battery boxed stealth mics:  http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=25185.0

I think I should get that anyways as it has gain stage...

Terry

hexyjones

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 09:48:22 AM »
I picked one of these up last night at RS. $25.  It powered up OK w/9v alkalin but don't know how long it would go since it failed my test... I set up this chain; omni mic>batt box>1/8" to RCA> RS A/D>opti out> JB3.

The meters on the JB3 did not "fire" till the ambient sound level was raised above normal conversation.  There was just no signal getting to the JB3. 

The thing is quite light, not even half a pound.  I decided that it wasn't going to do me any good and took it back.  If someone figures out that it has a place here, then they are always available... SP has them for $200??? why?

Not a great test...you have no way of adding gain? Not suprising you had no signal. The RS device wants to see a fully gained line level signal.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 11:24:51 AM »
i'm still sitting on a adc-20, bigger, but definitely works.  pm me if interested.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 05:16:07 PM »
The AD at Tigerlink and SP is for computers.  Like, hooking your tape deck and transferring an old cassette audio to your PC. 

If the AD20 is too big of a preamp, then gets this one by Soundprofessionals:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PREAMP

Its small, it can power the Giants Squids, and doubles as a preamp.  Check out the level adjustment and gain control.  Return the battery module and get this guy, unless you want bass roll off.  That's my 2 cents.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 11:34:22 AM »
AD-20 is pretty nice.  You need to attenuate between the battery box and AD-20 though.  And don't be skimpy on that attenuator either.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com