Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stereo mic>UA-5>JB3?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Josh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
stereo mic>UA-5>JB3?
« on: October 06, 2004, 07:15:43 PM »
i would like to use my AT822>ua-5>jb3 setup to record music lesssons, interviews etc etc...'cause they'll be a lot easier to manage than my TLs.  i basically just want to use the pre in the ua-5...don't really care about ADC.  will it only playback in one channel if i do this? will i have to use software to correct this?

thanks.
AKG 481/3>bumblebee Miagis>V3>jb3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: stereo mic>UA-5>JB3?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 07:36:25 PM »
Your stereo mic should have a stereo output capable of feeding both L and R to the UA5.  You need to split your single-connector stereo-output XLR to dual XLR stereo-output (basically, a Y cable, but a stereo on the single-connector side instead of mono).  If you're running the UA5, why not take advantage of its superior ADC relative to the JB3?  IMO it's easier to set levels with the UA5 than the JB3.  Easier, sounds better, go for it.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Josh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 07:51:02 PM »
thanks, B.  +T.

i'll pickup a Y-cable.
the ADC is definitely superior.  my concern is storage.  i'm going to Guinea to study music for 6 weeks with the guy in my avatar.  i figure i'd take mp3s for the lessons with the 822 and then take the 16bit for all the performances and demos with my TLs.  what i really should get is another 20 GB jb3 and/or lappy.  the lappy is almost out of the question...too much stuff. 

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 08:05:50 PM »
you can swap the hd's in jb3's, try a search. or you could just get a 40 gig jb3
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:33:25 AM »
Doesn't the 822 come with a cable that terminates with two (left and right) 1/4" phono plugs?  The xlr jacks on the UA5's mic preamp inputs are actually combo jacks that will take both xlr and 1/4".
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Josh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 12:12:16 PM »
Doesn't the 822 come with a cable that terminates with two (left and right) 1/4" phono plugs?  The xlr jacks on the UA5's mic preamp inputs are actually combo jacks that will take both xlr and 1/4".

you are right!!!  i remember those things...now i just have to find them.  that'll work for sure.

thanks, CT  +

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 04:35:06 PM »
thanks, B.  +T.

i'll pickup a Y-cable.
the ADC is definitely superior.  my concern is storage.  i'm going to Guinea to study music for 6 weeks with the guy in my avatar.  i figure i'd take mp3s for the lessons with the 822 and then take the 16bit for all the performances and demos with my TLs.  what i really should get is another 20 GB jb3 and/or lappy.  the lappy is almost out of the question...too much stuff. 

I don't think whether you use the A/D in the UA-5 is going to have any impact on your file size (except the sample rate).  That's going to be primarily determined by the settings you use when you go to record in the NJB3. 

What will happen is that if you record, say, a 128kb mp3 with the UA-5, and a 128kb without the UA-5, the file size will be the same, but the quality going through the UA-5 will be superior.

I could be misunderstanding the issue at hand though, so please excuse my ignorance if I am.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 09:36:45 AM »
If you do end up taking analog outs from the UA-5 and your unit has been digi-modded, remember to turn the monitor button OFF - it defaults to on when you startup.  Otherwise it will sound awful.  I know this sounds backwards but what you're doing is preventing a second layer of monitoring - the digimod already puts the unit into full time monitoring.

I'd follow the suggestion of taking optical out and letting the JB3 compress for you - that way you don't even have to consider the above, which I've messed up several times  :'(
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com