Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 vs. MOD UA-5  (Read 5125 times)

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
UA-5 vs. MOD UA-5
« on: October 28, 2004, 10:47:24 PM »
Thinking about buying a UA-5. Is the quality produced by the MOD UA-5 worth the extra $200?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: UA-5 vs. MOD UA-5
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 11:07:44 PM »
Thinking about buying a UA-5. Is the quality produced by the MOD UA-5 worth the extra $200?

I was really happy with my digi-mod ua-5 for a long time, but now that I have the T mod I wish I had done it sooner.

The right mod for you depends on your mics and your taste/ears but I'd say it is worth the money for sure.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 12:55:33 AM »

About which mod are you speaking?  Last I checked pricing, it was something like:

$220 | stock UA-5 w/no mods (can't be used standalone w/ DAT/JB3)
$295 | UA-5 w/ Oade digi-mod
$500 | UA-5 w/ Oade digi-mod + "warm" mod
$550 | UA-5 w/ Oade digi-mod + "presence" mod
$???  | UA-5 w/ Oade digi-mod + "transparent" mod (prolly costs the same as one of the above

If you're on a budget, go with the $295 Oade digi-mod.  You can always send it back later for the preamp upgrade. Only you can decide whether it's worth the extra cash to get one of the preamp upgrade.  Listen to a bunch of recordings and decide for yourself, or...let your budget decide.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 12:56:41 AM »
And I might add - most of the information for which you're looking (both in this post and others) is available in the forums.  Check out the Search feature.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 08:25:08 AM »
mod vs. no mod is night and day IMHO.  The stock digi mod units are NOISY!

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 12:55:46 PM »
mod vs. no mod is night and day IMHO.  The stock digi mod units are NOISY!

Daryan

I love when people say stuff like this.  Let's hear the comp!
(sorry, I used to sell hi end audio and the number of things that were reported to be 'night and day'...well...nevermind)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 01:25:08 PM »
I love my w-mod, but I have never really heard a comparison of w vs. non-w holding everything else equal.  There are a few comparisons Brian did w/ a w-mod and v3 which produced some interesting results when people were asked which was which blindly...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 08:50:22 PM »
is the basic ua-5 offered by oade what you guys are refering to as the stock digi mod....or am I way off here?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 11:18:40 PM »
Yes, the Oade Digi-mod and the mod you do to a stock UA-5 is the same. They both enable it to run without a computer basically. There are instructions posted around here somewhere if you go the route of buying a stock one, or many folks around here would probably be willing to do it for you for a small fee.

The downside of buying a stock one is that you can't send it back to the Oades later to upgrade to a different mod. They won't do them to UA-5's they didn't sell.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 01:12:57 AM »
If I were to buy a stock UA-5 from oade to start with, around how much would I be looking at to upgrade to a w-mod?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 01:16:48 AM »
See the first post by Brian in this thread for the answer to your question. :)
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 02:43:54 AM »
Yes, the Oade Digi-mod and the mod you do to a stock UA-5 is the same. They both enable it to run without a computer basically. There are instructions posted around here somewhere if you go the route of buying a stock one, or many folks around here would probably be willing to do it for you for a small fee.

The downside of buying a stock one is that you can't send it back to the Oades later to upgrade to a different mod. They won't do them to UA-5's they didn't sell.

Digi-mod is done by Oade, or by one's self- (instructions are in the archive section) - this must be done in order to allow a UA-5 to run independently from a laptop (or computer);  A Ua-5 with digi-mod only will serve the purpose of a preamp.   This mod is necessary if you are not going to be using a lappy.

There are also mods done by Oade that are the Warm mod (W), Presence Mod (P) and T-Mod-  these mods affect the sound of the preamp, and are not necessary to use the UA-5 as a standalone preamp, but do wonders as far as sound quality goes (IMHO).

Hope this clears confusion...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 08:06:03 AM »
true, the stock UA-5 is noisey...but you'd never encounter a problem with this if you are taping concerts.  Home studio apps would be another story.

i've listened prettey extensively to all the UA-5 mods that the Oades offer.
Money well spent.  The T+ mod sounds like an AD-1000 to me.  Very detailed, snappy and refined.

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »
I am pretty sure any UA5 bought from Oades will have the digi mod done to it already.
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 04:45:34 PM »
I am pretty sure any UA5 bought from Oades will have the digi mod done to it already.

Just reading over there, it is mentioned that any of their mods can be done without the digi for USB computer use, if you ask...

There is alos a Plus mod for any of the 3 (4?) of the mods, that improves a few more things...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com