Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: On stage mic stand recs?  (Read 6387 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: On stage mic stand recs?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:16 PM »
I'm loving the comments so far. I'm leaning toward the manfrotto light base and half pole but I'm also wanting a stage stand  or two that can go from like 18" to 36". So I'm torn. Please keep the recommendations coming. Thanks everyone!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:28 PM »
That light stand base acidjack linked, and in my photos above is stable, low, wide, and heavy (the legs are steel).  It a bit over-heavy for my preference, but folds pretty compactly.  It might be appropriate for what you describe because you can put the appropriate diameter of stock tubing directly into it without any kind of threaded connection.  I didn't make that stainless LD vert bar with the intention of using it in combination with that base, it has a 3/8" nut welded to the bottom and a threaded stud at the top, for connection to a normal stand.  The stainless tubing I made it from just happened to fit into the base's socket perfectly and the set-screw knob simple clamps it in place.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »
I use a kick drum stand like the one first linked. I've run 2prs of full body mics on a 3ft extension with no tipping problems. Prefer it to a tripod style because it is so much more compact and can be exactly at edge of stage, or right up against raised stage from floor without being a tripping hazard.

I have an Atlas version from Guitar Center that is at least $10 less than the one in the link though.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 01:40:42 AM »
I use a kick drum stand like the one first linked. I've run 2prs of full body mics on a 3ft extension with no tipping problems. Prefer it to a tripod style because it is so much more compact and can be exactly at edge of stage, or right up against raised stage from floor without being a tripping hazard.

I have an Atlas version from Guitar Center that is at least $10 less than the one in the link though.

JAson
I like the way you described its benefits. I think those are excellent points and think I'm gonna go that route. Being able to be at lip seems like a benefit if its stable enough.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:44:20 AM by Cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »
I'll reiterate the Manfrotto option cited by acidjack, Gutbucket and others. Compact when collapsed and plays well with other Manfrotto gear (I use the same extension poles with these bases and with my SuperClamp set-up).

If weight is no concern, the K&M stands, like the 25950, are pretty compact when folded and absolutely bulletproof on stage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com