Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: a/d suggestions...  (Read 6793 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
a/d suggestions...
« on: March 23, 2003, 11:46:01 AM »
I am currently running Audix SCX-one > MP-2 > D100.  I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on what a/d to run w/ this set up?  I'd love to get a mod sbm-1, but for the price of a mp-2 and sbm-1 i could almost buy a minime.

Any suggestions?

-Justin
save

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:a/d suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 03:41:32 PM »
I think the D100 ADC sounds pretty darn good, personally.  There are a at least a handful of options:

[1] Denecke AD-20
It's a pre and ADC, so I wouldn't even really consider this one.  Besides, I think it sounds a little tinny, but don't know if that's due to the pre or ADC in this unit.  I personally like the D100 ADC better.

[2] Graham Patten ADC-20
I just don't like this ADC, it sounds too digital to me, kinda artificial sounding.  Again, I personally like the D100 ADC better.

[3] Apogee AD1000
Great deals to be had on these, but they're getting old and reliability may be an issue to consider.  Like the modSBM-1, this + the MP2 gets you close to a MMe or V3.

[4] Apogee AD500
Same age/reliability issues as the AD1000, although significantly cheaper.

[5] Edirol UA-5 w/ coax mod
Easily run as a standalone ADC.  Price is right.  Sounds great, I think!

However, I personally would go for a sixth option:

[6] Edirol UA-5 w/ coax and pre (clarity or warmth) mods
I'd drop the MP-2 outright in this scenario and just run SCX-1 > UA-5 > D100.  Selling the MP-2 would get you into this scenario with no money gain/loss.  From what I've heard second-hand, the UA-5 with the pre mods sounds great.  I like the UA-5 pretty well w/o the mods, so I'm sure it sounds really good with Doug's pre mods.

I think there are some UA-5 pre mod samples floating around here and/or at the Oade Bros page.

Let us know what you decide!   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 04:11:11 PM »
as to your A/D question, Brian has covered the possibilities pretty well already.  i may have an SBM-1 i'd be willing to part with.  stock unit.  i'll make a good deal to someone on this Board if i decide to do it.  

my main reason for posting is the Audix mics you are running.  i went and looked them up as i've never seen anyone else running these for this application.  very interesting!  specs look pretty darn good.  on paper, these look very nice indeed!  damn things aren't cheap either, i notice.  

anyway, i'd love to hear some recordings made with these mics.  any of your stuff floating around?  ;)

peace

~S  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2003, 04:11:52 PM by hippies »

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 06:55:13 PM »
thanks for the ideas brian.  I really like my mp-2, but I think I may end up buying a mod ua-5 and doing some comparsions to see which i like better.  

About the audix mics, I have only done 2 recordings w/ them so far and I have been very pleased w/ the results.  You can download one of the shows I recorded off of www.archive.org.  It's Mason Jennings 02-21-03.  I also just recorded OM Trio last wednesday and it came out awesome!  As soon as I get the tracks figured out i'll upload that to the archive.org too.  They are fairly expensive mics (around $1000+ for a matched pair) but I got a REALLY good deal on them!  If you don't have a fast connection I can b&p a show or two for you if you want.  it may take a little while to do them b/c I'm in the middle of moving to my new house this week.  Just let me know.

-Justin
save

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2003, 07:03:09 PM »
As far as tracking that OMTrio show...just guess!  That is basicall what I did, but I can send you the track markers if you want them.  Let me know dude,

Daryan

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2003, 08:49:25 PM »
from what I have read the audix mics are very similar to the MBHO's.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2003, 09:02:01 PM »
The audix mics are similar in that they use the mbho capsules, the preamps are different.  The audix mics are a lot smaller than I ever imagined.  After seeing Justin's, I don't even see a need for active's for them, they are nearly identical to the mbho fixed cards I was running until I got the gefell's!  They look pretty nice, and for the record, Justin got a great deal on them...shows you ebay deals can still be had!  Also, I wopuld not reccomend getting a mod ua-5 without the pre mod.  From my experience, anything over about half way up on the mod5, and the pre got really noisy really fast.  Also, there was a noticeable jump in gain at around 1 o clock, way too much and not terrible good sounding either.  My guess is the warm mod would give you a apogee type sound, while the fast mod would give you a v3 type sound.  Craig T has some good examples of the warm mod5.

Daryan
« Last Edit: March 23, 2003, 09:05:16 PM by DaryanLenz »

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 12:20:27 PM »
Those SCX-1's are often compared to Neumann KM-184's.

I've only used them in a SBD/AUD mix situation and they did the job well for that :)

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 12:33:04 PM »
yeah, that's what i was thinking too, Jeff.  looks very much like that is the market they were shooting for.  i just wonder how the sound compares.  maybe i'll d/l that show from archive and give a lil listen.  ;)

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 01:01:02 PM »
I patched off a guy with these mics for a few Panic shows back in 99'. They sounded pretty good w/ just an sbm-1 and a D8. If I still had the tapes, I would let you hear 'em Scott.  :P

My $0.02
Kevin

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2003, 01:46:55 PM »
i don't wanna buy them or anything.  i'm happy with the 140s for now.  possibly will add a pair of ak50s this year.  i just always dig hearing what's out there/ new stuff.  when i looked them up, these seemed to be patterned pretty closely off of the 184s like Jeff said, so it really got me curious.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 01:48:37 PM by hippies »

DaryanLenz

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 08:26:45 PM »
Hey Justin, what did you decide to get?  Get the mini-me man, sell that other stuff, you won't be disappointed...plus you can become a gear slut like the rest of us!

Daryan

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 11:19:11 AM »
i think i'm gonna hang on to the mp-2 and get a warm mod ua-5 and run some comparsions and see what i like better.  From what i've heard from the warm mod ua-5 they sound pretty fucking nice!  

I'd love to get a minime, but it looks like my taping might be getting cut back due to a career change where I'd be working 2 jobs for awhile.  Hopefully if everything goes well w/ this new job I'll be making some nice cash and then maybe i'll be able to afford to be a real gear slut  ;)

-Justin
save

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com