Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: attenuetters  (Read 3138 times)

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
attenuetters
« on: July 24, 2004, 06:06:51 PM »
I am really a beginner being that I've only had my rig with 4 recordings.  I have a set of attneutters on the line into the mixpre and can't seem to find out precisely what they are used for.  Any tips?

Jesse

Mk4 ->cmc6 -> SD mixpre -> M1

radioboy1977

Re: attenuetters
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 07:01:16 PM »
you're running schoeps and you have no idea what you're doing?  why does that not surprise me ;)

i might be wrong here, but as i understand it, line attenuators ramp down the dB's coming from the mics so your recording isn't overmodulated.  i think they're only used in cases where a pre-amp is not in use.  since you're using a pre-amp, i don't think you need to use the attenuators.  like i said, though, i might be wrong.  can anyone else elaborate?

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 09:01:27 PM »
thanks jeff-o, i haven't read up as i need.  any suggestonsion's on pages to read. i've only looked at the sound devices page in the mixpre section.  thanks.... jesse

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 12:15:41 AM »
Owners' manual, to start....
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 11:53:30 AM »
As jef-o posted, attenuators reduce the signal passed through them.  Sometimes you do need them between the mic and the preamp.  If your preamp has a high minimum gain (like 20db) and the mics send a really hot signal, you can get clipping at the output of the preamp.

This happened to me with the KM184->MV100 at really loud shows (like 9:30 club Mule shows) so I used a 10db inline attenuator between the mics and preamp to drop the input signal and prevent the MV100 outputs from being over driven. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 12:40:15 PM »
This happened to me with the KM184->MV100 at really loud shows (like 9:30 club Mule shows) so I used a 10db inline attenuator between the mics and preamp to drop the input signal and prevent the MV100 outputs from being over driven. 

I'm curious - did you ever try running without a pre in those situations (using a phantom supply)?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 01:23:03 PM »

I'm curious - did you ever try running without a pre in those situations (using a phantom supply)?

No.  The MV100 was my phantom source.  I didn't have any other.

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 01:49:02 PM »
As jef-o posted, attenuators reduce the signal passed through them.  Sometimes you do need them between the mic and the preamp.  If your preamp has a high minimum gain (like 20db) and the mics send a really hot signal, you can get clipping at the output of the preamp.

I don't think this is the problem though.  The mixPre has variable gain starting at 0 dB.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 05:48:15 PM »
I just wanted to point out that attenuators are sometimes useful between the mic and pre.

Unless the show is painfully loud, I'd expect the MixPre to handle the CMC6 output without attenuators engaged.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 08:36:56 PM »
ditch the attenuators....schoeps run hot, but not that hot
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

BobW

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 11:15:03 PM »
I just wanted to point out that attenuators are sometimes useful between the mic and pre.

Unless the show is painfully loud, I'd expect the MixPre to handle the CMC6 output without attenuators engaged.

And they should not be used unless needed.........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com