Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help Me Spend Some Money (But Not Too Much)!!!  (Read 3354 times)

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
Help Me Spend Some Money (But Not Too Much)!!!
« on: August 19, 2007, 11:37:13 AM »
I am working on setting up an "open" rig and need a little help.

I have spent the last 2/3 weeks listening to recordings on/from the Archive/etree/Dime/TTD etc and trying to  make a decision on which box to buy.

My current equipment is purely stealth, (CA Cards/Pre > iRiver/R1), but I have a set of Joe Meek JM27 (Too good a deal to pass up compared to UK prices)  in the post. I also have my eyes on a pair of Avantone CK1's. (Really like the sound and the 3 capsule set up for $300). While I appreciate that these are relatively low end mics, I have been pretty impressed with what I have heard from both of them.

I have listened to what I can recorded by these mics (or those that people have described as "similar sounding" here and elsewhere), in front of UA-5, Apogee Mini Me/MP, V2/3 and M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Given that an open rig, will be a much less frequently used option, I can't really justify the $$$$ for the Apogee or Grace options, so it comes down to UA-5 or M-Audio.

So here is my breakdown of things as I see them.

(Please bare in mind that I am in the UK, so although I will be working in $$$ I am thinking in GBP£££ worked at a rate of $2=£1).

UA-5

Pros

A solid proven all in one pre/AD/48v

Available in different flavours (Oade/Busman etc)

Plenty of people recording on the same/similar setups who I can hassle for advice.

Become available frequently in the YS.

Cons

Discontinued line.

Most eBay models require Digimod (I know a soldering iron, just, but would be a little worried about botching stuff. Also postage etc should I want it "flavour"  modded at a later date)

I am in the UK, where they don't turn up often (used) and buying from the YS, I always have to figure in International postage and possible customs charges. (Judging by some of the sales I have missed on eBay postage isn't gonna be cheap).

"Busterr" having issues powering his ck1's from a modded unit (Oade I believe).

M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Pros

Works stand alone or USB powered.

Available new in the UK.

Have seen them available in the YS recently, which allowed me to check out the sound (although not via the mics I hope to run).

Cons

Not a widely used unit. (I don't know if there is a reason for this)

No-one running mods on this box

----------

So there you have my situation.

In an ideal world the Apogee MiniMP sounds great behind the avantones to my ears, (TennesseeJedd I think), but given the amount of use it will recieve, I really can't justify throwing the $600/700 on a used model (and don't even consider the UK price).

I also considered buying an "all in one" recorder (PMD671), but I really needed a second recorder to be able to stealth, as that is the norm in the UK/Europe.

So have I missed anything?

Any other units within my price range?

I would like to stick with Mics>Box>Recorder setup although I would consider seperating the pre/AD/48v into two boxes as long as it wasn't too large.

My budget runs somewhere around the $300 mark, although I would be willing to go over that a little. Please bear in mind if you are recommending something from a US/YS perspective to consider shipping and the possibility of Import/Customs charges.(Think 10-15% for a rough guide for Customs).

Thanks for all the help you have given me so far.

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help Me Spend Some Money (But Not Too Much)!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:43:06 AM »
What about the  Marantz PMD 660 ?  The oade basic mod starts at $579.00.  busman has a mod to, I have seen them around 400-450 stock on ebay, then you could send them to busman.

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
What about the  Marantz PMD 660 ?  The oade basic mod starts at $579.00.  busman has a mod to, I have seen them around 400-450 stock on ebay, then you could send them to busman.

I thought about this but check out the link below to see how much prices vary between the UK and US.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/marantz-pmd660_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
I'd also consider a Sound Devices MP2. Very high quality pre, with a nice warm sound that would probably compliment the Avantones well (much like the Apogee). They're discontinued, but are built like absolute tanks. They pop up in the Yard Sale pretty regularly in the $300 - $400 range. It's a pre-amp only, so it doesn't have a digital output, but would be perfect for your R1. Another plus is it'll run for hours on regular AA batteries, unlike the UA5 where you'll need a seperate power source.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:13:36 PM »
Theres one in the YS right now....

go get that mp2
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:25:30 PM »
Theres one in the YS right now....

go get that mp2

Actually just noticed that mp2, but unfortunately I am about 2 weeks away from having the funds to close the deal. But it is an addition to my list, so +T to you and Nick above.

Dave.

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »
If you could come up with the money, there is a steal on W Mod ua 5

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,89504.0.html

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 03:57:28 PM »
Just a little bump after visiting a few "Pro Audio" stores today and shaking my head muchly at what they have available and pricing. (also checking their suggestions/products on eBay and hitting on zero results).

Any alternative suggestions?

Dave.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:03:21 PM by DaveG73 »

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 04:30:02 PM »
In regards to the ua-5 w/ the ck-1's. I dropped a line to Busman the other day as to whether he had any issues w/ his ua-5's and ck-1. He has not had any problem with that setup, so don't rule out the ua-5's for an option. I will restate mine is an Oade w+ mod, I do not know if mine has an actual problem or if it's something Oade does that reduces the gain. Mr. Oade did not seem willing to help in figuring it out either.
So, have no fears with a busman mod ua-5 and the ck1's.

Offline DaveG73

• Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »
In regards to the ua-5 w/ the ck-1's. I dropped a line to Busman the other day as to whether he had any issues w/ his ua-5's and ck-1. He has not had any problem with that setup, so don't rule out the ua-5's for an option. I will restate mine is an Oade w+ mod, I do not know if mine has an actual problem or if it's something Oade does that reduces the gain. Mr. Oade did not seem willing to help in figuring it out either.
So, have no fears with a busman mod ua-5 and the ck1's.

Thanks man, although that is probably out of my league, given location, (unless I pick up a Yard Sale item).

+t for the info.

Dave.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com