Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: High Gig Portable Flac Player recomendations  (Read 46684 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: High Gig Portable Flac Player recomendations
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 06:19:47 AM »
If you got the patience to assemble and tinker:

H120: ZIF/IDE adapter, MK8025GAL (80GB) with RB and bootloader b7p4

H140: ZIF/IDE adapter, MK1214GAH (120GB) with RB and bootloader b7p4

If you want the best sound in portability add a iBasso D10 and a sysconcepts toslink>mini adapter.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 08:07:09 AM »
Cowan makes real nice stuff IMO. I own the the Cowan I audio. 60 gig drag and drop files into it just as they are from the torrents sites. This unit also acts as a USB hub so you can down load info/data onto it from another external usb device with out a computer. Not sure what there fancy newer unit is called but it has SD card back up and a nice touch screen.

Do the Cowan units support gapless FLAC playback yet?  That was the problem with them when I was in the market for something a year ago or so.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 10:57:18 AM »
I have an iAudio7 and there is a slight pause when changing tracks.  Not a two-second pause or anything like that but a very short track pause.  It doesn't bother me too much; I don't know about others.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »
i have an old ipod 4g photo - 30gb, that has taken the backseat to the 8gb ipod touch i got free after rebate with the EDU discount for my macbook pro.  i decided to rockbox it (the older one), and so far i think it's a great idea!  you don't have to give up the regular ipod firmware, instead it's like having a "dual boot" machine.  you can still boot up into the normal ipod software by flipping the hold switch to on after you power it up, otherwise it will boot into rockbox by default.

i'm now de-selecting "sync music" in itunes to have it take all my old mp3s off it (for the time being) and will load it up with some flacs and see how it does.
just a quick update...
i've been running rockbox on my old ipod for about a week now and it's pretty nice.  you can still load it up with mp3s from your itunes music library, and the rockbox database will automatically pick up the files, or you can just drag and drop folders of flacs into it as well.  if they are tagged, rockbox will read that info too. 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
you don't have to give up the regular ipod firmware, instead it's like having a "dual boot" machine.  you can still boot up into the normal ipod software by flipping the hold switch to on after you power it up, otherwise it will boot into rockbox by default.

I had no idea that it became dual boot. That makes "rockboxing" far more attractive an option imo. May have to give it a shot with an old ipod so I can finally stop burning shows to cd every time I want to listen to them on the big system ::)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 06:44:57 PM »
burning cds?  huh?
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »
you don't have to give up the regular ipod firmware, instead it's like having a "dual boot" machine.  you can still boot up into the normal ipod software by flipping the hold switch to on after you power it up, otherwise it will boot into rockbox by default.

I had no idea that it became dual boot. That makes "rockboxing" far more attractive an option imo. May have to give it a shot with an old ipod so I can finally stop burning shows to cd every time I want to listen to them on the big system ::)
yeah it's pretty cool...
i will add though that i haven't been able to play with it all that much, seeing as how this ipod's hard drive and battery are dying and it's a crap shoot whether it will actually boot up at all sometimes ::) 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »
burning cds?  huh?

I know, I'm a dinosaur ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »
burning cds?  huh?

Get a media client and a networked server and feed 24-bits into that bel-canto.  It's the green thing to do ;-)
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
forgive my ignorance, but..
do you have to have a power source, or does the iriver run off a usb port, in the car?
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 10:10:38 AM »
my FM transmitter i use in my work van has a usb port so i can charge the player off of it, but i also have a cigarette adaptor to power it in my personal van since the head unit in it has a hard wire input and the FM thingy isnt needed.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »
thanks, my new(used) car has a usb connection in glove box. haven't made the move to ipod, would rather use flac device and this may be my answer.
I could use cig lighter as well if need be.
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
new ride run on biodiesel too?

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »

Get a media client and a networked server and feed 24-bits into that bel-canto.  It's the green thing to do ;-)
[/quote]

oh yeah, I know. It's really a function of me just not listening to that many live tapes anymore to justify the setup. It'd be nice to have but it's hardly essential.

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
i have an old ipod 4g photo - 30gb, that has taken the backseat to the 8gb ipod touch i got free after rebate with the EDU discount for my macbook pro.  i decided to rockbox it (the older one), and so far i think it's a great idea!  you don't have to give up the regular ipod firmware, instead it's like having a "dual boot" machine.  you can still boot up into the normal ipod software by flipping the hold switch to on after you power it up, otherwise it will boot into rockbox by default.

i'm now de-selecting "sync music" in itunes to have it take all my old mp3s off it (for the time being) and will load it up with some flacs and see how it does.
just a quick update...
i've been running rockbox on my old ipod for about a week now and it's pretty nice.  you can still load it up with mp3s from your itunes music library, and the rockbox database will automatically pick up the files, or you can just drag and drop folders of flacs into it as well.  if they are tagged, rockbox will read that info too.

Rockbox'd my 80GB ipod in November 2008, still going strong! http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=113768.0

and yes, it does "dualboot".

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.222 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com