Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery box, higher voltage  (Read 1661 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Battery box, higher voltage
« on: April 09, 2007, 02:22:11 AM »
I am curious if it is possible to chain together say five or six 9 volt batteries in series and run them through a small circuit to supply the power that some mics like, as in the "up to 48 volts" range?  These are not for stealth mics.  I have some Soundman OKM II's for that.  But for a set of compact cardioids which would handle high SPL's.  I like compact as it allows me to pack it in a small bag along with my recording gear and additional media.

Thanks for any ideas.

8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Battery box, higher voltage
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:53:24 AM »
This is indeed perfectaly doable if you have a little experience in electronics and soldering. You need two closely matched 6k8 resistors per channel (1% types is preferred, but you can hand match). Connect battery ground to pin 1 of the XLR. Each pin 2 and 3 gets connected to plus through the resistor. I would add some high frequency decoupling at the battery side (a small condensor).

If your recorder can take 48V on its input this is all you need. If not certain, you need to decouple the 48V from the output side of your battery box through some largish condensors that can stand 48V. I would add some overvoltage protection as well (diodes) to protect the recorder.

Gunnar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com