Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tekkeon Users  (Read 10224 times)

Offline cottle

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
Tekkeon Users
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:21:20 PM »
I just bought 4 of the mp3300's on ebay because they were dirt cheap and I have two festivals coming up back-to-back.  I'm hoping they're not DOA like some I'd recently read about in one of the threads, but that's neither here nor there.

If anyone needs any of the plug tips, a cable, a spare charger, or the leather case, just let me know.  I now have extras of everything (already owned a 3450) and will gladly send to a good home.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tekkeon Users
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »
I'm guessing this is one of the threads you referred to?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=166745.0

I bought two of them.  Not DOA, but I haven't found a use for them yet.  Some of the posts in the thread scared me off from trying to use them with my Dr 680 or Dr 2d, either one.  Now I'm wondering if they can externally power a canon Powershot A1300 for some time lapse photography instead. 

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »
^^  The issue was that the Tekkeon 3300 appears to fry the Tascam DR-2D and not the DR-680.  There are plenty of anecdotes on that thread that the 3300 battery works fine with the 680.  I don't know if anyone ever got to the root of the DR-2D/3300 problem. 

The Tekkeon issue with the 680 was with the 3450 battery that has the automatic voltage sensing function; apparently that feature starts the voltage at the highest setting and drops it down to the proper setting which doesn't bode well for the DR-680.  I can't imagine that's good for any electronic device. 

Not that they're the same decks but, FWIW, I've been running my R-44 and DR-60D recorders off the Tekkeon 3300 batteries I have with no issues whatsoever. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:45:56 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
I'm a bit conservative (or chicken) and just decided not to take the risk with the DR 680 since it cost me $429 versus the $99 for the DR2d. 

Are you using some kind of USB adapter cable between the 60d and the Tekkeon 3300? Where'd you get it?

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
Although the Tekkeon uses a proprietary output cable, the end that fits into the device that you intend to power will accept the Radioshack Adaptaplug tips that are readily available.  I'm using the "USB A" tip (I picked one up at my local RS but you can buy them online HERE or HERE; as far as I can tell the only difference is the color) on the end of the Tekkeon cable, "+" symbols lined up, and the USB cable that the DR-60D came with plugs directly into that.  With the 3300 set to 5v, it powers the DR-60D perfectly. 

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »
I got my lot of 4 3300's today.  $34 for all 4.  Charged up the first one last night and it worked fine for me. So happy with this purchase!  If anyone needs a tip I have a bunch of extras too.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:42:21 AM »
Although the Tekkeon uses a proprietary output cable, the end that fits into the device that you intend to power will accept the Radioshack Adaptaplug tips that are readily available.  I'm using the "USB A" tip (I picked one up at my local RS but you can buy them online HERE or HERE; as far as I can tell the only difference is the color) on the end of the Tekkeon cable, "+" symbols lined up, and the USB cable that the DR-60D came with plugs directly into that.  With the 3300 set to 5v, it powers the DR-60D perfectly.

Next question:  how long does the 3300 power the 60-d?  Any tips on how you set them up together meaning do you just set the battery down on something besides the 60d, keep them both in a bag together,...what do you do to make it more convenient to use them together?

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
I've yet to do a runtime test with the Tekkeons but on average and IIRC, I'd say I have the -60D running with phantom on for at around 4 hours at a clip and, out of the 8-LED meter on the 3300, at least 5 of those lights are still lit.  If I had to wager money, I think you could get a minimum of 8 hours running the DR-60D off a 3300.  A different recorder and it may have been an anomaly, but there was a day at Mountain Jam this past June where I ran my R-44 (2 channels with phantom on) off a 3300 for ~12 hours nonstop and there were still two LEDs lit on the battery.  YMMV. 

As far as setting the battery and deck up together, I regularly carry my gear in a Lowepro Nova 200 bag.  Using the dividers, I have it set up so the recorder is in one section and the battery is standing up in another, connector and meter end at the top for quick and easy access.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 02:50:55 PM »
Much appreciated.  I returned a 60d earlier this year because it was eating AAs, but in view of being able to use the 3300 successfully, have ordered another 60d today.   Thanks.   

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »
Anyone with a new 3450 or any of the dual USB/16V outs, please PM. Have used mine hundreds of times. They eventually die, like all batteries, but they work great while alive. I wouldn't fault the makers of this battery for issues with a deck with improper power handling and poor fuses. Have had more DR-680s bite the dust, including from AC-only use, than Tekkeons, and have owned multiple of both.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
I have been using a MP3300 for my PMD-661 and the time on it has been excellent. It did each show at Lockn' last year with power to spare. I almost pulled the trigger at 60 bucks for 4 several months ago. I just could not figure out what I would do with 4. And extra would have been cool. Are you going to Lockn' ?
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
I've used my MP3300's with the following preamps:

Sound Devices MP-2
Naiant Littlebox
Aerco MP-2

The batteries have been flawless so far.  I use them with Ted Gakidis' custom power cables. 

I've been very happy with my score from the eBay lots. 

Offline cottle

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
Just chiming in to say I ran all 4 of mine at a fest this weekend.  the longest day was about 16 hours or so, and I still had green dots when I shut down at around 6am.  Each one seemed to work perfectly with my 661.  Even though I had the ability to recharge at night, I made a point to run a different battery each day, just to make sure they all worked.

Digger - I will be at lockn.  I sent you a PM.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
I bought a truckload of these batteries (I think I'm up to 23 of them) and every single one of them that I got from the ebay sale work perfectly, powering my 744 for 5 1/2 hours and my preamps all day for festivals.  Honestly, not to diss on anyone's smarts here, but I have to wonder if the people that claim they got  DOA batteries actually knew that you have to connect the cable in order to activate the battery when it's not plugged into the wall wart.

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »
I'll trade you mine for one of yours  >:D

My first one never fully charges.  The replacement appears to charge but once it is unplugged from the wall and the output cable is plugged in it is completely dead.  The seller was completely cooperative and refunded my money.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »

My first one never fully charges.  The replacement appears to charge but once it is unplugged from the wall and the output cable is plugged in it is completely dead.  The seller was completely cooperative and refunded my money.
Steve,
I have to vouch for him, you know Rick is mildly competent  :o. I orderd 2 of them and they were perfect too. And while I didn't need any more batteries, as you know from your 23, you can never have too much battery power  8)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:55:45 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

stevetoney

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »

Steve,
I have to vouch for him, you know Rick is mildly competent  :o. I orderd 2 of them and they were perfect too. And while I didn't need any more batteries, as you know from your 23, you can never have too much battery power  8)

Sorry again Rick if my comment was douche-ish.

Anyway, Cliff you're most right about having excess power...and cheap at that!  I'd been relying on a cadre of SLA's I picked up over the last few years, but recently one of them leaked and I don't know which one it is.  I've had several articles of clothing, including my favorites festy shorts ruined by the leakage.  Funny thing is you don't know about the damage until next time they go through the wash and come out all hole-y. 

So, these cheap Tekkeon's (I've bought two batches of 8 for $60 and one batch of 4 for $40) have been a real life saver in replacing the SLAs.  I've done more fests this year than any and I had three separate rigs rolling at once at two of them.   ;) ;)  So yeah, power is something I'm always planning out and you can never have enough.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
Not douche-ish at all, Steve.  I meant to tell you that I followed your advice and got my one 3300 to get to full charge!  Thank you!

I also am powerless over power.  Just bought a 16,800mAh and 10,400mAh batteries from W00t Monday night and a couple of 4,000mAh batteries a couple weeks ago. 

How do you explain to people how excited you get over buying a battery?

stevetoney

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »
Not douche-ish at all, Steve.  I meant to tell you that I followed your advice and got my one 3300 to get to full charge!  Thank you!

Cool!  I'm glad it worked out for ya.

I also am powerless over power.  Just bought a 16,800mAh and 10,400mAh batteries from W00t Monday night and a couple of 4,000mAh batteries a couple weeks ago. 

How do you explain to people how excited you get over buying a battery?

LOL.  Well I understand your excitement...I've had so damn many shows/festies where power has kicked my butt that it's totally understandable to me to get excited when you've licked that problem once and for all!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 07:24:43 PM »
I bought a truckload of these batteries (I think I'm up to 23 of them) and every single one of them that I got from the ebay sale work perfectly, powering my 744 for 5 1/2 hours and my preamps all day for festivals.  Honestly, not to diss on anyone's smarts here, but I have to wonder if the people that claim they got  DOA batteries actually knew that you have to connect the cable in order to activate the battery when it's not plugged into the wall wart.

I got one a year ago which cost more than the ones up on E-Bay now and it works perfectly. I ordered a second for $10 4-5 months ago and it was DOA and would not take a charge. I reread the instructions several times to make sure I was doing it right. The seller did refund my money without asking me to return it, so I assumed he knew this was a major problem and I was scared to order more.

After reading this post, I may order another 4.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »
^ I wish I hadn't made that comment about wondering if people were doing it right, but yeah I've been pretty lucky with these.  I'd like to think that the law of averages would be in your favor if you ordered a few.  I'm surprised they're still available, but FWIW I made my last order of an 8-pack for $60 that arrived probably less than 2 weeks ago, so it's not like my experience on having good luck these is way in the past.  YMMV I guess.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 05:33:45 AM »
^ I wish I hadn't made that comment about wondering if people were doing it right, but yeah I've been pretty lucky with these. 

I wouldn't feel bad about it. It is confusing if you don't read the directions.

I just tried to order 4 and only 8 packs are available now. I can't justify buying that many as I don't do festivals. I think I saw that happen before and 4 packs were offered later. If so, I'll buy one.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
Has anyone cracked open an MP3300?  Any tips?  I may try and perform surgery on my DOA battery.

stevetoney

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 08:03:09 PM »
Has anyone cracked open an MP3300?  Any tips?  I may try and perform surgery on my DOA battery.

Everything you need to know is buried in the thread link copied below (thanks to Kirkd).  It includes the batteries you wanna buy (Panasonic), tips about getting batteries with and without solder tabs, pictures for how kirk ran the wiring, etc.  Just take note before disconnecting the old batteries where the black (+) and white or red (-) wires connect to the old batteries and to the board.  Note that the batteries that you pull out are flat Li-ion batteries but the case for the 3300 is big enough for 4 of the round replacement batteries.  As long as you can solder, I don't see why this wouldn't be a very elementary project. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153993.0

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Thanks, Steve!  I think if I can get the case apart without ruining it, the soldering shouldn't be an issue.  I'll update the thread as I go along.

kirk97132

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »

Everything you need to know is buried in the thread link copied below (thanks to Kirkd).  It includes the batteries you wanna buy (Panasonic), tips about getting batteries with and without solder tabs, pictures for how kirk ran the wiring, etc.  Just take note before disconnecting the old batteries where the black (+) and white or red (-) wires connect to the old batteries and to the board.  Note that the batteries that you pull out are flat Li-ion batteries but the case for the 3300 is big enough for 4 of the round replacement batteries.  As long as you can solder, I don't see why this wouldn't be a very elementary project. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153993.0
Some cases are a real MF to get open.  Go slow, take your time, don't miss the two screws.  So far about 50% of screws I ran into were an issue to get out.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
returning to the subject of the OP; are any of the "extras" still available?

stevetoney

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
returning to the subject of the OP; are any of the "extras" still available?

What do you need?  I'm keeping the batteries and probably most of the coily adapta-plug connector cables, but I have tips and felt pouches coming out the ying yang.  If you're concerned with their condition, ya know since they came out the ying yang, I've optionally got them coming out the wazoo.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:33:03 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »
I could use one coily adapta plug cable (don't need any tips as I plan on hacking it) and one case (prefer a fold-over with magnetic clasp but a slip-on would work).

yinyang or wazoo - doesn't matter as long as they are sterilized  :)

found, thanks
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:30:38 PM by flipp »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com