Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Balanced or unbalanced outputs on PSP-2 > PCMD50?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Balanced or unbalanced outputs on PSP-2 > PCMD50?
« on: October 30, 2008, 06:00:55 AM »
I am wondering what the consensus is around here with how to manage the outputs from an E.A.A. PSP-2 to a Sony PCMD50 (or any other recorder that has a 1/8" input).  The PSP-2 has an 1/8" unbalanced output and a XLR balanced output.  Will it matter if I use the 1/8" unbalanced output because the signal will go into the (presumably) unbalanced input of the D50?  Or should I use the balanced outputs?  I am more interested in issues of sound quality; tightness of the connection is not really a concern to me because I am careful with how I use my gear.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Balanced or unbalanced outputs on PSP-2 > PCMD50?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
I would go 1/8" to 1/8".  The 1/8" we're talking about (on the D50, R09, etc) is unbalanced by definition, so you are not having balanced going into them, even if you use an XLR output (since you'd be unbalancing that output to use it).

There are a number of ways to properly unbalance a balanced signal depending on the equipment involved, so if you choose to unbalance the XLR outputs, you might do it improperly.  Plus, the PSP2 will need additional electronics in the signal path to create the balanced output after the gain stage.  Presumably the unbalanced output doesn't go thru these electronics (ie, it is straight to unbalanced out, not unbalanced post gain stage > balanced > unbalanced out).  So from a sound standpoint, I'd say 1/8 to 1/8 would be better.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com