Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: [Blasphemy] Computer speaker recs  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
[Blasphemy] Computer speaker recs
« on: October 02, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »
ok, this is probably going to drive some folks nuts 8)

i'm going to be reorganizing my home office (been meaning to for about 6 months actually but it's still a wreck), setting up a fancy new display for my new macbook pro, etc. and want to put in a decent pair (or 2.1 setup) of computer speakers.

i have my grace m902 in there right now which *used* to drive a pair of alesis m1 active mkII monitors...one of them broke down a couple of years ago, it doesn't power on, and i haven't gotten around to sending it in for repair.  alesis tells me it's going to be over $100 and i'll have to pay shipping too and it's just not been a priority for me.  in the meantime, i do have a good set of Grado's that I can listen on if i ever do any transferring (which i rarely get around to anymore) but i haven't been using them so the grace barely gets used either...except that at the moment it's hooked up to the crappiest cheapo set of computer speakers ever.  [thus the part where folks should rightfully blow their lids]

it's killing me to have it set up that way, but i prefer to listen via speakers most of the time.  it's annoying to have to deal with repairing the alesis and spending a bunch more on them... though they sound great paired with the m902, the setup seems like overkill at this point [also blasphemous i'm sure] ;)  SO....

i'm thinking about picking up a decent pair of computer speakers for around $30-80 (i would go close to or over $100 if there's a drastic improvement in pc speaker quality) and then sell off the expensive m902 and hopefully find a buyer for the alesis monitors, one of which still works.  i could use the money for home improvement/paying off loans/savings.  i've sold my taping gear and am focusing on school and work and i only really need to do casual listening anymore.  i still have a very nice setup with my denon receiver and b&w bookshelf speakers in the living room. 

any recommendations on pc speaker setups that you've enjoyed?  or other suggestions??
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: [Blasphemy] Computer speaker recs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:15:02 PM »
Creative GigaWorks T20 or if your budget permits, the T40.  Best computer speakers for the price that I have heard.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 06:45:36 AM »
i have my grace m902 in there right now which *used* to drive a pair of alesis m1 active mkII monitors...one of them broke down a couple of years ago, it doesn't power on, and i haven't gotten around to sending it in for repair. 

Definitely get them fixed, they are great monitors for not a lot of $$$.  Have you checked them for fuses? ...don't have fuses. :)

digifish
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:49:55 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
Hey Simp -- check out this thread:

http://www.taperssection.com/index.php/topic,126246.0.html

I'd skip the pc speakers and get a t-amp and a used set of decent bookshelf speakers -- it'll sound much better than pc speakers.

Check out some of the links in that thread, there are links for different t-amps that are pretty cheap.  I just picked one up for under $30 that I am using with an old pair of Polk RT15's and a subwoofer I got from ebay for my living room setup, and it sounds very nice for what it is.

Here's an ebay auction for the same speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140350043783

You can probably get speakers like this for $30-$50 shipped, and the t-amp I just got for $30.  For $80, you won't find pc speakers that will sound as nice.

Of course, if you want to swing down to Littleton sometime, I'm more than happy to let you have a listen, but these little t-amps sound very nice and are more than enough to power a computer playback system.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:18:56 AM »
i'm reluctant about getting another amp and pair of speakers because my office is very small and it might be overkill....if i wanted that kind of power i'd just get the monitors repaired since i've already got the m902 and the alesis monitors.  what i'm looking for is something that is relatively unobtrusive to sit on my desk and just sound good...although adding the t-amp would give me a reason to keep the m902...so...i've talked myself in a circle ;)

any other recs?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »
the amp Todd referenced fits in your palm, it takes up no room
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:30:50 AM »
the amp Todd referenced fits in your palm, it takes up no room

Yeah, that amp is like 4" x 5" x 1.5", and it is also very efficient, so you could easily just leave it on and leave it under your desk and control the volume with your pc.  It would probably draw less than a 1/3 as much as a compact fluorescent light when idle.  No need to feed it from your Grace, you could just feed it from your soundcard.

That t-amp would open you up to using any small bookshelf or satellite speakers.  Those Polk RT15's I linked above aren't very large as speakers go, though obviously larger than typical pc speakers.  When I was looking to shift things around a month ago or so, I also came across these Denon speakers (built by Mission) which are a bit smaller:

http://www.dakmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=6618

I'd say any kind of system you could build up like this will sound better than pc speakers, esp at the prices you're talking, though clearly bigger than pc speakers.

Anyway, enough of my food for thought.  I'm afraid I can't help much on your original request, I've never pursued that route myself.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 04:44:05 PM »
Haven't heard them myself but the monsoon planars look neat, kinda like mini-maggies.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 11:27:18 PM »

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
I've been dong all of my mixing/mastering and listening on a set of Bose "Companion 5" PC speakers. They are extremely neutral as far as coloration and they fit well in the space I have them in which is my home office(2 small speakers and a sub). I have yet to hear better speakers than these on PC, although I will admit I haven't heard an exorbitant number of choices. One other thing that is nice about them  the volume control disk has an earphone out and also an 1/8" line in for plugging in portables, laptops, whatever. It makes it easy for me to plug my MR-1 in direct before transferring to check my recording after a show which is kind of nice. Here's a link to them:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com