Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who's got the low end surround gear?  (Read 4746 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Who's got the low end surround gear?
« on: February 05, 2006, 09:40:13 AM »
I want to put together a minimal second system using my old speakers as a starting point.  I'm looking to minimize the investment so I can put the money towards a panel and get a better MC amp later.

what about something like this: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1141919997 ?

I don't know anything about Denon other than the 2900 I have kicks ass.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Re: Who's got the low end surround gear?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 10:33:08 AM »
It looks like a decent deal, but I'd want to know how old it is.  Does it decode DTS and Dolby surround formats?  Also, I could not tell from the picture of the rear panel whether it has digital in/out.  I did not see any optical jacks.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 10:45:12 AM »
not sure about all that.  I think it's too old to support ther new formats or have a toslink interface.

Basicly I'm looking for a 50W-100W stereo output to drive the speakers.  I don't need surround as much as I would like to be able to drive an second pair of speakers for the deck.  What drew my attention to this unit is the ability to do video switching ahead of a monitor.

what about some of the entry level NAD stuff?  How would that compare with the Denons in this range?   

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:50:51 AM »
I've got a Denon AVR-2500 that I've been using about 10 years. It's now being used by the kids in the bonus room.

If this model was made 10 years ago like mine then you're right on about the lack of newer formats but it always sounded nice with my regular old polk bookshelf speakers.

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 01:52:48 PM »
if you can swing it, it's kind of pricey, but the denon 5803 was sick when it came out a few years ago.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 02:16:33 PM »
if you can swing it, it's kind of pricey, but the denon 5803 was sick when it came out a few years ago.

I'm saving pricey for the big room.   I just want to have a second system to play the TV through and possibly drive some deck speakers.   I went back and checked that panel and maybe I don't need to video switch since two of my sources are chained.

What about the Cambridge Audio stuff?  Here is an older unit that includes a phono preamp, which will make the GF happy.   http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1143702288

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 02:40:58 PM »
We used to be a Cambridge dealer.  Their stuff is ok, but the sound is pretty generic.  I think the build quality could be better as well.  I kept their DVD player, but sometimes I'll have to hit the open or play button twice to get it to work.  Same thing on the remote (which sucks on a whole different level).  There's a Rega Brio (current model) on Audiogon right now.  40w, phono stage, current model, made in England.  The Rega is only two channels, but the Cambridge amp is only two channels as well.  Rega makes quality, well built gear.  *Very* well known in the turntable industry, but they do a well-respected line of entry level transistor gear.  A friend of mine has my old Rega Planet CD player I bought in 1997.  it is still a rock solid CD player.  I haven't heard the Brio, but I would be really surprised if it wasn't better than the Cambridge.  We are not Rega dealers, but it's a definite possibility for our future.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1143346188

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

edit:  The Cambridge is an older amp.  At least 5 years I'd say.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 02:51:26 PM by cshepherd »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »
I haven't see the rega stuff before.  I thought they only made turntables.

I'm willing to consider older gear.  Ideally I'd like to keep this under $200 right now.   I listen to music on another system so this is just something that will provide sound for a monitor in the TV room.  If I let it go too much more money than that, it will start an arms race among the other componets in the room.

What about an arcam unit like this: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=58854.from1127063336 How does that compare with these others?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
I am in the same boat, I think we both know what a good system sounds like & that makes it hard to buy a low end surround syatem. Sucks knowing what your missing doesn't it  >:D

I keep looking at a cheapie surround set up to compliment my room as well as my new 50" plasma but it seems like such a shame to spend the money on anything unless it compliments the set. I have been down this road many times before & do not plan on doing it again. At this point I am holding off an ANY surround gear until I have no other choice, hopefully the feeling will pass me by.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 03:24:45 PM »
We hope to get into another house in the next three years and build a dedicated media room using my current playback system as a base for that.  So getting something cheap for the TV room is just a short term solution.  Plus, it would be nice to be able to drive sound on the deck without burning up tube life.  Maybe I'll change my mind after I hear it ;-)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 03:38:56 PM »
I have a Denon AVR-863 (I think..) and it has the ability to do DTS/Dolby digital amongst the speaker set A, and then it has an entirely different amp for a stereo B set of speakers.  I think it sounds good for what it is.  I bought it like 3 years ago for $400, so its probably available for a bit cheaper used now.  I've been happy with it for surround/movies, and its OK for 2 channel.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 05:02:15 PM »
Try ecost.com for some deals on Denon AV Receivers.  Every once and awhile, you can get some really sweet deals.  Just watch for when they first put an item up--it's always cheapest when they have the most in stock.  Then, as they do the "countdowns" and stuff, their prices go up.  I buy refurb or refurb open box units when I'm looking for real cheapies.

I used to love NAD stuff, but their quality control suffered in the mid to late 90s, early 2000's.  I heard it is getting better, and the new products get some good lip service.  But out of your price range.  Arcam is a good alternative.  Rega is pretty nice (I like my P3 ok) but no surround.

The new Cambridge stuff is great sounding.  The older stuff is ho-hum. 

cshepherd

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 10:45:08 PM »
Yeah, on a budget, I would say the Arcam available in the yard sale might be a good choice for a budget setup.  It is really hard to move backwards in audio, even for a short while (like an afternoon even).

Chris

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 04:06:07 PM »

I own one of these and I like it quite a bit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OUTLAW-AUDIO-Model-1050-Receiver_W0QQitemZ5861420673QQcategoryZ14981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/1050specs.pdf

I also have refurbished cambridge soundworks speakers which I got through ebay (direct from the company hifi.com)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 11:11:03 PM »
OK well, here is a brief follow-up.

I bought a NAD 3240PE off ebay for about $150.  It's not multi channel.  I decided to get this because it will drive two sets of speakers so I can put a pair on the deck this summer and it has a built in phono preamp so I can set up a turn table for the GF. 

First impressions are good.  I am using some silver clad/teflon wires to the old infinity RS6B speakers and feeding the volume controlled stereo output from the back of the TV.  It sounds great for what it is.   I listened to some Randy Travis on the cable music channel and now I have Spinal Tap DVD playing.  The bass is decent.  I need to play with it some more but I am happier than I expected to be for the amount of money I spent.  I've never had the TV connected to my music system, so this is really a nice improvement and not at all disappointing. 

There seem to be a lot of these going around on ebay and agon.  If anyone needs an inexpensive 2 channel set-up, this is a decent option.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 11:31:07 PM »
I have a NAD 7175PE in my office and love it...very natural sound to my ears...

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 11:53:26 PM »
I have a denon avr-1801 that i have been using for the past 6 years.  I think it works pretty well.  It will decode DTS and dolby.  Can't remember how much i paid for it but it works with my klipsch surround speakers.
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com