Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Yamaha AVC 30U Integrated Help  (Read 2057 times)

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Yamaha AVC 30U Integrated Help
« on: March 25, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
I have a 10 or 15 year old Yamaha integrated that I use for a bedroom system. I've got a cheapo Cyberhome DVD player to play CD's and some old Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II speakers hooked up to it. It has worked fine for years. This past week I was out of town, and my wife was doing some work in the bedroom and moved it. Last night I put it back in place and listened to a CD, and it kept cutting out with a little click, like some sort of protection circuit was kicking in. I tried plugging it into another outlet and made sure all of the connections were good. This morning it would not power up at all, but just kept clicking. I tried it a few minutes ago and it appears to be playing ok, but I'm worried that the problem will return.

I'm not much of an "audio technician".....can anyone point me to what the problem might be and how to correct it?

Thanks! 
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

cshepherd

Re: Yamaha AVC 30U Integrated Help
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 01:18:11 PM »
Check connections at the amp and speakers to make sure the positive and negative leads on your speaker wires aren't touching each other. 

Chris

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:03:44 AM »
I checked that last night, and the speaker wiring is all tidy, no stray strands going where they shouldn't.

The probalem was really bad last night, it kept cutting in and out every five seconds or so. Could the amp just be shot? Interesting that it didn't have any problems until it got moved.

cshepherd

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 12:33:16 PM »
It sounds like something is shorting out.  If the stereo is properly connected, It's most likely inside the amp.  Is there an  "a / b / a+b" switch for speaker selection (i.e. if the amp can run four speakers)?  If so, make sure the selection corresponds correctly with where your speaker wires are connected to on the back of the amp.  Other than that, for $40 or so, a local repair shop should be able to diagnose it for you.

Good luck,
Chris

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:34:48 PM »
Well, the past two nights it has played fine. I wonder if something got spilled into it when my wife moved it and it dried out or something. Which can't be good for it, but at least it's working.

+T, cshepherd, for the response.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com