Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who uses any of thing by slim device  (Read 3717 times)

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
Who uses any of thing by slim device
« on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »
I want to know if any use the Squeezebox or the Transporter and if so what do they think about how it works. I also would like to know if any one knows of any other devices that dose the same thing.

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Who uses any of thing by slim device
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »
a number of peiople use them.  They are beloved here.   I've got slimserver running, and its truly awesome.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:21:52 PM »
I have an SB3 that I run wireless in my living room so I don't have to run a CAT5 cable to from my office and so I have a small, easy interface for accessing my music catalog.  I'd rather not have a laptop floating around my very small LR for accessing music.  I run the SB3 digi-out to my Sony STR-DA3000ES, mostly at 16/44 for older and studio recordings, 24/48 for newer.

The SB3 interface works well for finding music to which one wants to listen, i.e. one already knows the intended recording.  Since it scrolls through recording entries one-by-one, it's not great for browsing, however.  As a result, I run Foobar on my desktop in my office and simply run soundcard digi-out to my DAC / rest of playback.  An SB3 for listening same-room as the HDD-based music catalog seems like a waste to me.

Wireless comments...

FWIW, at first I had trouble running 24/48 over my Linksys Wireless-G access point (WAP54g v.2).  My WAP was 5 thick, old-construction walls away from the SB3, and I had trouble with skipping.  I also had trouble with reliable wireless for PC in the same room.  Not so much a squeezebox issue as a wireless issue, it turns out.  I applied a hacked firmware to my access point to increase it's broadcast strength, and no problems since.  Couldn't be happier.  I'm totally media-free now in my listening:  PC > DAC > Audio Experiences Symphony / McCormack DNA-1 > VSA VR-1s in the office, PC > router > wireless > SB3 digi-out > STR-DA3000ES > VR-1 for living room, and iAudio M3 for portable audio.  Love it across the board.

And finally, keep in mind if you move to HDD-based playback, you may want to consider adding redundancy to your PC HDD storage setup, like RAID or reasonable redundancy without RAID.

The SlimServer s/w's available for download to try out.  SlimServer's a little slow to catalog my music every time I re-scan, but...no biggie, I just let it run overnight.  For reference, I have 576 "albums" (mostly live, still ripping and storing my studio discs), ~13k songs.  No problems with lag-time browsing on the SB3.  Any lag-times I've experienced have cleared up when I swap fresh batteries into the remote.

In four simple words:  I love my SB3!

I don't know of alternative devices with the same feature set, though it wouldn't surprise me if they exist.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 02:31:04 AM »
Dose any one know if any one can mod a SB3 to do 24/96.
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:03:40 AM »
Dose any one know if any one can mod a SB3 to do 24/96.

Not that I know of.  I know one of the recent releases of Slim Server (or maybe it's the SB3 firmware) will resample 24/96 recordings to to 48 on-the-fly, but I don't think they plan on supporting 96k with the SB3.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:30:49 AM »
Dose the Transporter. I see it is a lot more and found a lot on mods for it. Here is the link.
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 07:40:08 AM »
Hey skalinder, I don't have an SB3 yet, but intend to get one, but I am still running slimserver, primarily to stream my collection to my work computer.  One of the features that I love about slim server is the ability to randomly select albums, as I am way, way, way to indecisive to pick something to listen to.  Does the SB3 have an equivalent of a random album select?

thanks man
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 11:50:11 AM »
Does the SB3 have an equivalent of a random album select?

You can just hit 'Add' while on any directory and everything under it is added to the current playlist.  There is a 'shuffle' button that toggles between 'no shuffle', 'shuffle by album' and 'shuffle by song'.  I regularly listen on shuffle and then de-randomize when I hear something I want to hear more of.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
Does the SB3 have an equivalent of a random album select?

You can just hit 'Add' while on any directory and everything under it is added to the current playlist.  There is a 'shuffle' button that toggles between 'no shuffle', 'shuffle by album' and 'shuffle by song'.  I regularly listen on shuffle and then de-randomize when I hear something I want to hear more of.

f yeah.  Beautiful.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 05:21:42 PM »
What do they go for new and used. Where did you get them from.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 12:32:51 PM »
299 brand new direct from slimdevices.  Used, they hold they value extremely well at the moment, maybe 225-250 at best.

slimdevices.com
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 06:25:18 PM »
Hey Daryan what do you think about the Bolder mod for the Squeezebox and what mods did you get.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 07:46:59 AM »
Hey skalinder, I don't have an SB3 yet, but intend to get one, but I am still running slimserver, primarily to stream my collection to my work computer.  One of the features that I love about slim server is the ability to randomly select albums, as I am way, way, way to indecisive to pick something to listen to.  Does the SB3 have an equivalent of a random album select?

thanks man

Yes, the SB3 can do this, since Slim Server is running. I noticed it last night (but didn't try it out).

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 09:13:59 AM »
Yes, the SB3 can do this, since Slim Server is running. I noticed it last night (but didn't try it out).

Random on 48,000 tracks is a trip ;)

That it is (though I don't have nearly that many in my library).

I think I'll try to random album thing tonight and see how that works. I prefer to listen to albums rather than single songs anyway.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com