Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonic Studios DSM-6 questions  (Read 1269 times)

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: Sonic Studios DSM-6 questions
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2024, 02:26:10 AM »
I really wanted to like the Sonic Studio mics as some of the samples I heard shortly after they were released were really stellar. But I was recording a lot of loud guitar rock bands in small to medium sized indoor venues and immediately dealt with a lot of distorted recordings that were very bass heavy. I upgraded to the models that could handle higher spl's and again with the battery box module that had bass role. They just ended up being a money pit that continuously produced unremarkable results. I quickly realized that I needed to jump ship to DPA's which solved both the SPL handling issue and the bass roll-off issues. If only I had bought a pair of MK4's in the late eighties.
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2024, 06:09:14 PM »
I really wanted to like the Sonic Studio mics as some of the samples I heard shortly after they were released were really stellar. But I was recording a lot of loud guitar rock bands in small to medium sized indoor venues and immediately dealt with a lot of distorted recordings that were very bass heavy. I upgraded to the models that could handle higher spl's and again with the battery box module that had bass role. They just ended up being a money pit that continuously produced unremarkable results. I quickly realized that I needed to jump ship to DPA's which solved both the SPL handling issue and the bass roll-off issues. If only I had bought a pair of MK4's in the late eighties.

Ok interesting.  Thanks for sharing.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2024, 09:05:00 PM »
He did.  I always admired Leonard's right angle mini-plugs as too.  Not sure exactly how he did it or what they were cast from, epoxy likely.

I still have two pairs of those epoxy right angles he made for me.  It will be a sad, sad day if I ever lose them.  Sounds strange but they are the most priceless pieces of gear in my kit as they are irreplaceable.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 06:48:56 AM »
Ran my Sonic Studios DSM-6 into a sony D6 for many years. It can make good recordings. Easy to record with on glasses. Still have mine. Ran it once with the sony M10 with PIP and it worked. Makes binaural recordings.

Here is one of my recordings that came out pretty well:
https://archive.org/details/NMB2008-08-21
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com