Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 problem fixed  (Read 1955 times)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
UA5 problem fixed
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:26:28 AM »
So on the rare occasion I still bring out my DIY digi modded UA5, reliable, decent sound and pretty fool proof.  Last saturday @ bloodkin about 1hr into the first set mine just shut off.  Tried a different battery and also tried Lee's battery/cable and nothing would make it turn on.  Got home and the same symptoms.

Last night i finally got around to looking into the problem.  Opened it up because i though there might be a fuse of some sort in there, nope.  No burnt smell either.  I then started fiddeling around w/ the multi meter and determined that jack was functional and sending power to the initial contact on the board, but there was no juice @ the power switch.  Then Determined that there was +V @ the switch but no ground.  Tracing back to the power plug there are a couple of minature resistors which were ok.  Then there is this thing.
(circled red)

It appears to be 2 copper wires, 1grnd 1 hot, and they are going through a ring.  I am assuming this is some sort of noise shield since the unit is designed to run off a wallwart via AC.  Well the ground wire was no longer completing the circuit.  So on the underside of the board i tacked a piece of paperclip between the existing enpoints of the broken wire.  Magically started working again.  So i packed it up and went to a show w/o any real testing except it turned on and it worked fine for a good 2 set Topaz show.   ;D

So if any of ya'll have a UA5 that will no longer turn on and doesn't smell toasty inside, this may be the solution to get it up and running again.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 11:28:29 AM by fozzy »
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com