Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on technique for AT 4053 hypers?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Advice on technique for AT 4053 hypers?
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:08:56 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has used them, or has advice on them? In smaller rooms, should I point em at the stacks? DIN? ORTF? What about in a bigger room, or outdoors? Mostly taping louder rock shows, powering them with w-mod UA-5.

Thanks for the space!
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: Advice on technique for AT 4053 hypers?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:17:31 AM »
I don't have any hyper caps, but it seems that most tapers recommend DINa for hypers and DIN for cards. 

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:52:38 AM »
if you frequent the same venues, try different patterns, different locations, different gear matchups, etc.  It's fun to experiment, to break the mold.  Trial and error, best way to learn practical experience in the field.

congrats on trying an underused mic!  AT makes fine mics.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 04:41:59 PM »
How you arrange your mics depends on what type of recording you're trying to capture.  Do you want to maximize stack signal to noise?  Get close to the stacks and/or simply point the mics at the stacks.  Do you want an ambient recording that captures effectively the sense of space?  Then use an appropriate coincident or near-coincident configuration that achieves the sound you prefer.  Or perhaps you want a sound in between.

Stir is right, figuring out what you like in different scenarios and environments requires experimentation.  I think a good place to start is Willams' Sterephonic Zoom, stickied at the top of the forum.  While experimenting, it helps one understand how the spacing and angling of the mics impacts the sound:  why one may receive a particular result with a given configuration, and how one might expect different results based on angle / spacing changes (e.g. will it sound more mono, more stereo, less room, more room, etc.).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:04:04 PM »
while i am a strong advocate of ORTF for cards, i think NOS seems to work best for hypers.  also, careful setup of the configuration is important to acheive a smooth LR spread.  (many people just eyeball it, and wind up with a heavy middle).

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 11:08:07 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!
My first show with these is on Tuesday, and there will be 4 tapers, so it's a good time to experiment a little (I'm usually flying solo). Matisyahu at the Crystal Ballroom. I'll try pointing at the stacks, which is probably around 60deg, and if I can DINa, and NOS.

As far as what I like--I'm not a huge fan of crowd noise, which is why I'm trying these hypers. I prefer the SBD-AUD matrix, in which case I want ambience in the AUD, but for AUD only, I want to cut the noise, and still get decent stereo.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com