Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dealing with huge Wavpack files  (Read 1814 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Dealing with huge Wavpack files
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
I have been trying out (and hope to report on, eventually) the Zylia Ambisonic mic, which records 19 channels (at up to 24/48) for third-order ambisonics.  This produces huge files (it reaches the 4 GB limit for wav files in 25 minutes).  While it will roll over to a fresh file at the 25 minute limit, the match is not quite seamless, and also the production of stereo bake-downs for rough listening seems to be normalized for each 25 minute session separately.  This problem is cured by using Wavpack lossless compression, and I recorded about an hour and a half to a 5.7 GB file.  After reformatting my media to NTFS (completely lost one trial when the 400 GB microSD card for internal storage on my Ockel pocket computer was default formatted exFAT), I got the file over to my laptop.  When I loaded it into Reaper, it played okay in the Media Explorer bar of Reaper but did not show up correctly in the Track Control Panel.  I am absolutely new to, and way over my head in, Reaper, so it is likely I am doing something wrong.

Does any one have any ideas about how to take a Wavpack multichannel file, cut it up into 24 minute pieces, and export to multichannel wav files?  What software can handle huge (> 4GB) 19 channel Wavpack files?

Jeff

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Dealing with huge Wavpack files
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:34:02 AM »
I haven't tried WavPack in a long time, and can't answer your question, but I'd recommend heading over to Hydrogen Audio's sub-forum. It's the official forum for the product team:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/board,68.0.html

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
http://www.wavpack.com/wavpack_doc.html

WvUnpack Options
[...]
--skip=[-][sample|hh:mm:ss.ss] = start decoding at specified sample/time

Specifies an alternate start position for decoding, as either an integer sample index or as a time in hours, minutes, and seconds (with fraction). A minus ('-') sign indicates that the time or sample index is relative to the end of the file. The WavPack file must be seekable (i.e. not a pipe). This option can be used with the --until option to decode a specific region of a track.
[...]
--until=[+|-][sample|hh:mm:ss.ss] = stop decoding at specified sample/time

Specifies an alternate stop position for decoding, as either an integer sample index or as a time in hours, minutes, and seconds (with fraction). If a plus ('+') or minus ('-') sign is inserted before the specified sample (or time) then it becomes a relative amount, either from the position specified by a --start option (if plus) or from the end of the file (if minus).
[...]
-w or --wav = force ouput to Microsoft WAV format

Output a Microsoft WAV file regardless of the input file format. All extra information in the original file's header and trailer will be lost and a "fresh" WAV header will be generated. For multichannel files, a WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE header is written, and for files over 4 GB, an RF64 file will be written (still with .wav extension). Note that DSD audio files will be decimated 8X and output as 24-bit PCM.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »
Thanks for both these leads.  I have posted my problem on the hydrogen audio forum, and also run wvunpack successfully, probably the first time I have used the command line prompt since the '90s.  The resulting wav file loads into Audacity fine.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com