Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic configuration for Jazz Quartet  (Read 3263 times)

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic configuration for Jazz Quartet
« on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:26 AM »
I tape regulary in a small Jazzclub mostly acoustic music like Jazz Trio, Quartet or Quintet.
For the most situations a Main Mic figuration such as M/S or ORTF is perfect for the room sound and to catch enough musical details of the Band.
But sometimes especially the piano is too quiet in the mix and the drums is way too loud.
So what can I change in mic configuration for a better and more direct piano sound??
A additional single spot mic near the piano(cards or hypercards)?? But for this way I don’t know how to mix it later together with the Stereo file of the main mix in the Stereo Panorama??
Or should I use another Stereo configuration with direction to sweet spot of the Piano…for example an extra X/Y cardioid Stereo-Pair? Later I could add this in the whole Mix for a better and more direct piano sound??

Any suggestions? Your help and experience are much appreciated, thanks!!

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Mic configuration for Jazz Quartet
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 08:39:46 AM »
Move the array closer to the piano.

Also, sometimes dynamic range compression can be applied in post to "raise" the level of softer sounds.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »

I had good success in this scenario by adding a dynamic mic wrapped in a bar towel inside the piano (lid closed) to the mix. Very unorthodox but it worked great.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 01:05:49 PM »
Move the array closer to the piano.

Also, sometimes dynamic range compression can be applied in post to "raise" the level of softer sounds.

Both of these things first.  Spot mic or pair on the piano if you need to go further.

I find piano one of the more difficult instruments in a live jazz ensemble to deal with, although bass can sometimes be problematic as well if for different reasons.  A standard (non-upright) piano primarily radiates bidirectionally upwards and downwards, so most of it's sound which reaches a stereo pair of mics intended for recording the entire ensemble will be indirect and reflected.   When setting up, it may help to think of doing so primarily as a piano recording, which will also pickup the other players.  In short, get closer to the piano as Noah suggests.

Dynamic compression helps at both ends of the spectrum.  It can soften over impactful drum hits and cymbal crashes on the loud side, and bring up lost details at the quiet side.  Best to use two different compression applications to target each aspect individually.  Parallel compression is a great way to bring up the details somewhat more than you might be able to do otherwise without introducing negative sonic consequences.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
"....Best to use two different compression applications to target each aspect individually. "

This sounds interesting Gutbucket!! I have some good compression plugins in  my basket, but often I don`t exactly how to use theme for such special corrections.
Do you have any suggestions...maybe M/S mode or Dual Mono Mode...or MultiCompression (for example I have the FabFilter MB).
Any help are much appreciated!

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »
The absolute best method is to monitor the live recording and place mics in the best location for a balanced sound.  That isn't always practical during a live show....

Small rooms can have nodes of low frequency standing waves that exceed 20dB, making any of the lower register instruments (kick drum, bass, lower octaves of the piano) really dominate or disappear. If you can avoid those you are in a much better position to get a "balanced" recording.

http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Acoustics/RoomModeStandingWaveCalcu.html

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 12:38:27 PM »
^ Truth.

"....Best to use two different compression applications to target each aspect individually. "

This sounds interesting Gutbucket!! I have some good compression plugins in  my basket, but often I don`t exactly how to use theme for such special corrections.
Do you have any suggestions...maybe M/S mode or Dual Mono Mode...or MultiCompression (for example I have the FabFilter MB).
Any help are much appreciated!

Two separate compressors.  One tuned for bringing the over-quiet detail stuff at the bottom up in level, the other tuned for keeping the over-loud peaks and such under control.  Checkout the threads on parallel compression for details on the bottom-up approach.

M/S mode compresses the center of the image differently than the outer edges of the image, instead of the Left channel separately from the Right channel.  I'd not worry about that in this case.  Dual mono unlinks left and right channels instead of having them act simultaneously in an identical way.  I usually find that to be an advantage, but as always it depends on the recording and YMMV.  Multiband can work well, but is easy to over do.  Regular compression when set correctly does the job pretty well.  The trick is using a separate instance to targeting each dynamic problem specifically, and using a light handed approach, rather than trying to do too much with a single compressor.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
As GB says piano is always a challenge, with bass next...  The drums always rule the room (exceptionally sensitive drummers balance themselves effectively but when they hit points of emphasis the drums will always be the loudest thing you record), though horns can also approach drum levels (if there's a horn section that together typically becomes the loudest part of the ensemble). 

Setting up close to the piano may work if it doesn't distort the perspective/phase relationships.  I sort of think that would only work if the piano is center stage (which seems rare in clubs). 

A spot mic leads to mixing in post but absent a PA mic on the piano and an amp for the bass that is often the only way you would get effective ambient balance. 

As an example the Tyrone Allen piece on my page here: https://soundcloud.com/sounds-from-dc was a completely ambient recording of a quartet (though an atypical quartet since he chose not to have a drummer, perhaps in part due to the acoustics of the room).  The mic location can be seen in the thumbnail photo.  There were no PA, no microphones and no amps (so the bass is just natural sound off the instrument).  They had excellent control of dynamics but the saxes are of course much louder than the piano and bass.  He's a fairly forceful player so the bass was still a bit louder than the piano (for proximity I hoped to stay close to the bass thinking it would be light, so that is also a factor).  I would not have wanted to shoot from the side of the stage across the piano to try to get more since that would not have worked for the spatial representation nor with the directionality of the other instruments. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com